Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2014, 06:38 AM   #15

Again, CRV. The only problem I have Is, that I can't keep my left
turn signal working in the CRV. BULBS ARE GOOD. Had the same problem
With my 2007. Pulls great tho!
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2014, 06:59 AM   #16

We have close family friends who purchased their first motorhome late last summer and simultaneously purchased a CRV as a toad. It soon became his daily driver as he liked it so much! His prior daily driver for years had been a FULLY loaded Toyota Sienna van which he would replace every two years... He absolutely LOVES the CRV and I must admit, because I have also driven it on about a half a dozen occasions that it is indeed very comfortable and according to him, extremely easy to tow, as well as hooking it up to be towed. Seems like a lot of happy CRV owners out there.
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:02 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
I think the only Ford Fusion that is approved for towing is the Hybrid.

Too many owners of normal Ford Fusions have had multiple transmissions installed due to failures.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:19 PM   #18

I had a 2012 Fusion that I was going to tow. Although it was listed as towable in the manual, some posts online indicated a problem with the transmission at times doing that. I previously towed a 2004 CRV and traded the Fusion in on a '13 CRV which I tow with Roadmaster equipment and Brake Buddy. My Itasca Sunova has a charging line in the rear pigtail that I ran to a 30 amp circuit breaker and battery on the CRV since I would have a dead battery after towing if I didn't pull a fuse, which was a pain to get to. There are fuse switches you can get, but the charging line works fine, no more dead batteries. There is a lot of info online about it and how to info.

I would highly recommend the CRV over the Fusion. Had both, and the CRV is easier to get in and out of. Ours is also 4WD.
Rvbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:43 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
If I had to choose between the two I'd choose the Honda. However, we just bought a 2014 Chevy Equinox which is almost exactly like the Honda in almost every way and cheaper. We've been very happy with it and it is approved by GM for flat towing without any modification except the fuse pulling. We installed a kit that automatically disconnects the fuse when we plug into the RV.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:50 PM   #20

We have the AWD CRV and we love it!! Very comfortable and roomy. We bought the AWD version so we would have no trouble in snow when we travel. I would suggest getting the Navigation system. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it!! It does come in handy when you need it. We use it to find restuarants or a car wash after a long day being towed behind the Motorhome!
I keep a printed page with the "how to turn off the display" instructions in the glove box. The setting to fully turn off the clock display is in the "clock set-up" mode. Yes, I know it is a stupid place to put it, but that is where it is.
Also, remember to turn the AUTO function off of your headlights. Otherwise the headlights will stay on and run the battery down.
You can also google "Toad Charger" it is a separate line that uses the Motorhome to keep the battery in the CRV charged.
I don't think you will regret it if you buy a CRV!! We love ours!!
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 08:32 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post
Also, remember to turn the AUTO function off of your headlights. Otherwise the headlights will stay on and run the battery down....
I don't think you will regret it if you buy a CRV!! We love ours!!

We leave our headlights in AUTO all the time...never had that happen.

We really like our CRV.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:08 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
We leave our headlights in AUTO all the time...never had that happen.

We really like our CRV.
Ditto. We leave our headlight switch on AUTO and I've never had an issue. However, we don't normally travel after dark so perhaps it has always been light enough not to trigger the lights???
Old 06-28-2014, 07:26 AM   #23

We bought our CRV, my first non "Big 3" vehicle, after a lot of research when we bought out first MH. It was an experiment, to see how this 6'2"/300 lb guy would like it after nearly a lifetime of pick ups. To make a long story shorter, it not only makes for a really great toad, I LOVE it as a daily driver. The fact they have a reputation for running forever doesn't hurt it a bit either. Still tight, gas, oil, and tires only at 170K.

Tags
ford