Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2015, 11:30 AM   #1

CRV on my EZ Tow- Can I hook the Safety Chains to the Tow Loops?

Dumped the Murano. It was at 90K and still going, but little things were starting to annoy me and I was probably due for brakes, belts, battery etc. I was out looking at CRVs and found a nice 2014 with 6700miles on it so I traded the Murano in. The intention is to eventually go 4-down, but as you can see in some of my other posts I'm undecided about supplemental brake systems, and since I already have the EZ Tow I think I'll stick with it for a while.

So today I set my EZ Tow up for the CRV. Moved the strap ratchets in and did a test load. The CRV is narrower than the Murano and has smaller tires, so its a bit easier to get up on the trailer, pull the ramps out and clip the straps to the frame.

My question for today is, can I use the tow loops on the CRV to attach the safety chains? I don't see any reason not (see the picture). Should the car break loose the chains are short enough to keep it from dropping off the trailer (I hope). At least it doesn't look any worse than the Murano did. Just much easier to get to because I can snap the chains on without getting under the car.

Here's the looped under the frame of the dolly and thru the banjos.

Here are a few shots of the CRV on the dolly

One final question. Have not noticed the CRV's steering column locking. Does anyone know for sure if the 2014 CRV has a locking steering column?

THanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2015, 11:41 AM   #2

I may be out to lunch here but I do believe the AWD CRV Cannot be towed on a dolly. You might want to investigate further. Could be expensive.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I may be out to lunch here but I do believe the AWD CRV Cannot be towed on a dolly. You might want to investigate further. Could be expensive.
You are correct, the AWD CRV is not dolly towable. But this one isn't AWD.
Old 10-17-2015, 12:56 PM   #4

dennis45-

I looked at the 2014 CRV manual available here, and it reads as you said. The AWD version must be towed four-down (p. 235), while the 2WD version may be towed with the front tires off the ground (p. 340).

I suspect "jondrew" already knew this and shrewdly purchased the 2WD CRV.

Mark
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 01:08 PM   #5

Either that or some rascal stole my rear drive shafts

The manual is slightly confusing on this point, but the 2WD CRV is dolly towable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
dennis45-

I looked at the 2014 CRV manual available here, and it reads as you said. The AWD version must be towed four-down (p. 235), while the 2WD version may be towed with the front tires off the ground (p. 340).

I suspect "jondrew" already knew this and shrewdly purchased the 2WD CRV.

Mark
Old 10-17-2015, 02:16 PM   #6

All is well. I did not see the distinction in the OP so wanted to make sure you were aware. BTW, the CRV steering does lock on a 1/4 turn of the wheel.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:34 PM   #7

No problem. I appreciate the concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
All is well. I did not see the distinction in the OP so wanted to make sure you were aware. BTW, the CRV steering does lock on a 1/4 turn of the wheel.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:42 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
The tie-down loops are quite strong when used correctly. From what I see, on a breakaway, the chains will tighten and pull down on the tie-downs. Not a preferred situation. If it were me, and only temporary, I'd like to get a straighter run to the tie-downs, like maybe wrap the chains around the V supports or connect them up by the hitch.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:43 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jondrew,

We use the tow hooks for the safety chains on our Escape, exactly like you have shown.

Just be sure to leave enough slack to allow the car-dolly set-up to swing in a turn without binding.

Can't tell you about the CRV having a steering lock or not, many new cars do not have this lock, and this is easy to check. When parked, with the car set-up like it were ready to tow (engine off), turn the steering wheel as far as you can. The steering wheel should turn no more than a half turn before it would lock.

Best luck and hope you enjoy the dolly...we love our EZE-Tow too.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 02:48 PM   #10

The steering colum does lock. My Murano had a fuse I could pull so I did not have to leave the ignition on. I don't see a fuse on either the interior or exterior fuse blocks that explicitly list steering colum lock. More investigating necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Jondrew,

We use the tow hooks for the safety chains on our Escape, exactly like you have shown.

Just be sure to leave enough slack to allow the car-dolly set-up to swing in a turn without binding.

Can't tell you about the CRV having a steering lock or not, but this is easy to check. When parked, with the car set-up like it were ready to tow (engine off), turn the steering wheel. The steering wheel should turn no more than a half turn before it would lock.

Best luck and hope you enjoy the dolly...we love our EZE-Tow too.
Old 10-20-2015, 08:32 AM   #11

I tow a 2001 Camry on my Ezetow and got tired of reaching so far back to loop around the wishbone. I put heavy duty eye bolts further up the dolly tongue and then clipped to car tow hooks. What I discovered was there quite a bit of swing on the front end due to pivot of steering and the chains got really tight. So are you sure the CRV would stay on dolly when you account for the swing? I finally found two holes in the quote 'chassis' and put two more eyebolts in which now allows me to squat [no hands and knees or lying down]and clip since I also added clip hooks to the supplied safety chain. This makes the Eztow much more pleasant to deal with.
sixkilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:07 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think there needs to be a little more slack in that chain.

The wheel and tires roll backward when in a sharp turn. I don't think you want the chain stopping that movement.

When I chain mine, I put the chains so they are tight when the wheel is rolled back about 8 inches.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 03:09 PM   #13

Thanks, was never quite sure how much slack to leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I think there needs to be a little more slack in that chain.

The wheel and tires roll backward when in a sharp turn. I don't think you want the chain stopping that movement.

When I chain mine, I put the chains so they are tight when the wheel is rolled back about 8 inches.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:57 AM   #14

I guess what I was saying about the Ezetow is you aren't stuck to using the banjo holes. That is their solution to making the product universal to various vehicles. You might be able to find a pivot point further back down the vehicle and further out the dolly frame which accommodates your car and at the same time make it easier on yourself and still be safe.
sixkilo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety, tow