Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2013, 06:14 AM   #57

I've read through this discussion a couple of times, I've read everything I can on the CRV and Jeep as a towed vehicle, and the bottom line is, despite the fact that many people successfully tow a CRV both Honda and REMCO do not recommend the vehicle for towing.

The CRV is a far better choice for my wife and I for a towed vehicle, because of its ease in getting in and out, and its ride; however, I've opted to go with a Jeep Wrangler (2D) for a very simple reason, it is built for four-down towing. Notwithstanding, I enjoy fly fishing so the Jeep has greater possibilities for my recreational pursuits.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2013, 07:04 AM   #58

Love my 4dr Wrangler...Plenty of room and simple to tow and go anywhere....With the top off it makes me feel younger and I need all the help I can get....Besides, my 3 year old grandaughter thinks it's cool...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #59

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Fan motors went out. Of course, one of them had been bad for some time but we did not notice until the other one went out. With both out the AC only cooled while the vehicle was moving.

Bob
Our Jeep has just one big electric fan and the first vehicle we've owned that didn't have one that was driven by the engine as well, so hopefully they are long lasting. Does make for a lot of room between the block and the radiator, though.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #60

Newmar Owners Club
We just downgraded our 07 CRV toad to our daughter and bought a 2013 Wrangler Unlimited to tow. Hope it turns out to be a good decision. The CRV has been a great car but only have about 35K on it. Towing ate up the tires and I had to remember to pull the radio fuse. We wanted to do the "Air in the hair" thing. The two vehicles are to different to fairly compare. Like the guy said when he kissed the cow-everybody to their own taste!!!!!
gefleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #61

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefleming View Post
We just downgraded our 07 CRV toad to our daughter and bought a 2013 Wrangler Unlimited to tow. Hope it turns out to be a good decision. The CRV has been a great car but only have about 35K on it. Towing ate up the tires and I had to remember to pull the radio fuse. We wanted to do the "Air in the hair" thing. The two vehicles are to different to fairly compare. Like the guy said when he kissed the cow-everybody to their own taste!!!!!
Don't think you'll be sorry and especially with the ease of towing it. No steering lock so no ignition key required, no diodes nor a separate system with a COOLTECH wiring harness, no fuse pulling or battery disconnect, and with a READYBRAKE system, no power requirements of any kind, so no dead batteries, either. No watching the mileage for periodic starting of the engine and tranny lube....etc...etc... Did I say that you're also ready for almost any type of terrain on the planet, from the interstates to the Rubicon trail? Then there's the "It's a Jeep thing" that all began in 1941...
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #62

Been towing a 2001 CRV for 12 years, never a problem.
wazone3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #63

And besides...Jeep owners wave to each other (don't believe me? google 'Jeep wave'). You're part of something bigger with a Jeep. It's a community. If a Jeep guy sees another Jeep guy with a flat tire, he knows what to do. I know several CRV owners that are great people whole like their Honda, but I'm sure if they started nodding to other CRV owners, they would get some dirty looks in return.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #64

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmbeard View Post
I've read through this discussion a couple of times, I've read everything I can on the CRV and Jeep as a towed vehicle, and the bottom line is, despite the fact that many people successfully tow a CRV both Honda and REMCO do not recommend the vehicle for towing.
Not sure where you got the misinformation but Honda specifically states it (and the Fit) can be towed four down and gives the instructions in the owners manual. Both the front wheel and AWD are towable four down with no modifications.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #65

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Not sure where you got the misinformation but Honda specifically states it (and the Fit) can be towed four down and gives the instructions in the owners manual. Both the front wheel and AWD are towable four down with no modifications.

You are correct. The owners manual for my 2011 CRV does state the procedure for being towed behind an RV. But is has to be towed with all four wheels on the ground - it's a 4X4 model.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #66

what the owners manual says might be different, depending on the year. Wasn't that the case with the Escape?
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #67

I did a pretty full evaluation of these two vehicles in 2011 and bought the CR-V because I liked its better reliability, on road manners and fuel efficiency. I bought the AWD model for reasonable access to "off pavement" dirt roads in National Parks, fire roads and reasonably maintained BLM roads. It was my wife’s daily drive.

We sold it after 15 months and 16,000 miles and bought a 2012 Jeep Wrangler JK instead. We fell in love with the adventure of RVing with an expedition vehicle in tow. The Honda delivered very well for the type of off pavement adventures we went on, but did not give us the security and performance we have with the new Jeep to really go off road with confidence.

My wife and I are mid 60s, retired and absolutely amazed how we have taken to the personality and civility of the Wrangler. She loves it as her daily car. I love it because I can plan and explore a very wide range of ghost towns, mines and the great outdoors.

I say all this because I made a rather expensive mistake because I did not consider the call of off road capability in our future. The CR-V did not let us down in any way - it's a great car. But we enjoy the freedom we have to explore Death Valley, Moab and the great outdoors in a true cult car with great get home capability. Give this some serious consideration - we are still seriously amazed at how much we responded to the “call” of off road exploring once we were free to give it a try when traveling with the RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6439.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	31659   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8060.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	31660  

Old 01-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #68

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfellow View Post
I did a pretty full evaluation of these two vehicles in 2011 and bought the CR-V because I liked its better reliability, on road manners and fuel efficiency. I bought the AWD model for reasonable access to "off pavement" dirt roads in National Parks, fire roads and reasonably maintained BLM roads. It was my wife’s daily drive.

We sold it after 15 months and 16,000 miles and bought a 2012 Jeep Wrangler JK instead. We fell in love with the adventure of RVing with an expedition vehicle in tow. The Honda delivered very well for the type of off pavement adventures we went on, but did not give us the security and performance we have with the new Jeep to really go off road with confidence.

My wife and I are mid 60s, retired and absolutely amazed how we have taken to the personality and civility of the Wrangler. She loves it as her daily car. I love it because I can plan and explore a very wide range of ghost towns, mines and the great outdoors.

I say all this because I made a rather expensive mistake because I did not consider the call of off road capability in our future. The CR-V did not let us down in any way - it's a great car. But we enjoy the freedom we have to explore Death Valley, Moab and the great outdoors in a true cult car with great get home capability. Give this some serious consideration - we are still seriously amazed at how much we responded to the “call” of off road exploring once we were free to give it a try when traveling with the RV.
Pretty well sums up what I'd found too. Did have a Jeep GC that I towed. For our use I'll probably get a CR-V when we need a new vehicle. We don't need to go 4 wheelin' over the Rubicon, but the CR-V AWD extra traction would be nice if it snows.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote