Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2008, 09:18 PM   #1

I have been towing my toad off and on for 3 years and have had to deal with a dead battery now on several occasions. I had the Ford neutural kit installed and depending on the duration of the tow, I have had to jump start my 2005 Explorer. Did the dealer that installed the neutral kit forget to tell me I need to remove a fuse or, am I missing a step here? I have go through the routine of turning on the ignition and pressng the 4X4 auto in order to ingage it to tow mode. Short trips, no problem. anything over a couple of hours the battery is drained and the toad needs a jump... what's going on?
MBiancardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2008, 09:18 PM   #2

I have been towing my toad off and on for 3 years and have had to deal with a dead battery now on several occasions. I had the Ford neutural kit installed and depending on the duration of the tow, I have had to jump start my 2005 Explorer. Did the dealer that installed the neutral kit forget to tell me I need to remove a fuse or, am I missing a step here? I have go through the routine of turning on the ignition and pressng the 4X4 auto in order to ingage it to tow mode. Short trips, no problem. anything over a couple of hours the battery is drained and the toad needs a jump... what's going on?
MBiancardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:52 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
MBiancardi, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad o have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. Sorry to hear of the dead battery issue. While I do not have a Ford toad, I do have to pull fuses in both my 99' Silverado 4x4 and the 06' Vue. Does your dash light up while towing? If so you mught want to look for the fuse to diconnect power to the dash. THat is what I do on mine. It is called "Ign." fuse. If a Ford owner member does not reply with the answer, you should be able to call Ford Customer Assistance and they will have the answer; guaranteed.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:04 AM   #4

Hopefully, someone will post here telling you to pull fuse(s) when you flat tow. Another alternative is to install (easy) or have a friend/shop install a simple knife switch on your battery. Flip the switch bar and you disconnect the battery. Of course you also have the option of manually disconnecting the battery each time. disconnecting the battery would be an issue if you are using auxiliary braking that gets its power from the toad. You'd have to run a 12v line to the toad from the RV in this particular case.
BillArf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:14 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
No one has reported battery drain issues on Explorers, nor the need to pull fuses.

Your post doesn't mention it, but do you turn the ignition off after the neutral procedure?

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:26 AM   #6

Consider going to this Explorer related forum and asking forum members there to address your problem. They will have plenty to tell you....
Old 02-29-2008, 03:59 AM   #7

Forgot to mention.. Your Explorer should draw somewhere between 10-25 milliamps (clocks, computers, radio memory) even when the ignition is in the off position. Parasitic draw can be an issue with ANY vehicle. As your vehicles battery gets older and lets say less efficient, parasitic draw becomes an even a greater issue. If you are just recently having more problems with "dead battery" it may mean it is just time to buy a new battery. Is the battery in your 2005 Explorer the original battery? Also the operating history / conditions your battery has dealt with also comes into play here. Anyway, may just be time to buy a new battery. In closing, even a vehicle with the ignition in the off position draws somewhere between 10-25 milliamps (clocks, computers, radio memory). When on toad duty, when you have the ignition key turned, maybe have auxiliary braking drawing on the toad battery and more. This really makes a poorly performing battery/old battery have depletion issues. Consider a new battery and an inexpensive knife switch on the batteries neutral cable if you cannot use the "pull fuse(s)" alternative.

Important: I'm not familiar with the Ford neutral kit that you have installed. IF, it needs constant 12v power (doubt it would) (another words after you have engaged neutral) then you will not be able to use a knife switch or disconnect the negative the battery cable.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:51 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MBiancardi:
dead battery </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find the issue?

I'm interested since I will be towing my 05 Exp this summer for about 5000 miles.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:57 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
MBiancardi;

Welcome to IRV2. I towed a Buick La Sabre for several years. There was not a single fuse I could pull to stop all the draw. I ended up installing a toad charge circuit which ended all my problems. I now tow a Saturn Vue and use the charge feature to keep the battery charged for my Brake Pro. I would recommend that for you. I believe RV Upgrades sells a kit.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:59 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
MBiancardi,
You said you have to turn on the ignition to engage. Is it possible that when you turn off the ignition you are leaving it in the "start" position?

Here are the instructions I got for my 07 Explorer Sport Trac 4wd V-6 with kit #1L2Z-7H332-AB. I know your kit # is different but I'm not sure about your instructions.
1. Vehicle in 4x4 Auto
2. AT in neutral
3. Ignition in "ACC" (steering wheel unlocked)
[MY NOTE: label shows "off" position but this has to be an error because on sport trac "off" is same as "lock" thus it will lock the steering wheel}
4. Neutral Tow light goes thru bulb check and turns off
5. Depress brake pedal and press 4x4 auto pushbutton; hold both for 5 seconds
6. Neutral Tow Light will flash; then stay on to indicate transfer case is in neutral
7. Leave switch in ACC position and transmission in neutral while towing
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:18 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I set mine up, I turn the key completely off while the trans is in neutral. Key can't be removed but everything else is off. Never had a problen with low battery. Also I use an Even Brake and if the toad battery gets low it will tell me on my MH monitor.
Sorry about your problem. We love our Explorer on trips.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:54 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
If the ignition is in "off" possition, won't the Xpl lock the steering wheel?
Old 03-26-2008, 06:17 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
No, there is a difference. With the trans in Neutral, turn the key as far towards off as it will go, this is an off position and the key can't be removed but everything is off, even the radio. At least on my 06 Explorer
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 07:14 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I do as Wizard does with my 04 Explorer and have never had a problem with a dead battery. On longer trips, we do try to start and drive the Explorer at least every other day. If your battery dies while towing, I believe you can loose the neutral tow function...not sure exactly what will happen but perhaps the transfer case will engage spontaneously.