Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2019, 07:00 PM   #15

Make it as easy to tow 4 down as you can and you'll always tow. For example, a tow bar with an integrated surge brake system reduces the extra step of having to install an in car brake box. IOW, if it's easy you'll do it, if it's a hassle you won't.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2019, 07:00 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Take it every trip. Sometimes we use it sometimes not.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:35 PM   #17

We almost always take the car. The only time it doesn't go with the rig is when my wife takes the RV without me and goes with friends for a few days.

Otherwise, if the campground is within 75 miles of home she may just drive it. She often stops along the way to grocery shop or something, and I can just continue on and be waiting for her. Or, she'll run on ahead and check in and have the spot ready when I get there.

When we pull, we dolly. Oh, I know, it's easier to flat tow. But we've got it down pretty well, have plenty of room to store it, etc. Our car is not flat towable, and it's just not such a hassle that it's worth several thousand dollars to trade cars and outfit another one to tow.

We check the straps within the first few miles, then we just check them at gas and rest stops. We seldom have to tighten after the first stop.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:04 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Would people please share what their general criteria is for deciding when to tow a car and when not to? Is it the duration of the trip, miles from home, how rural or what?

I'm buying my first Class A (38') and trying to decide when it makes sense, assuming I plan on not leaving the space. Right now I'm thinking that single-stop trips of a week or less do not make much sense to tow a car but I'd prefer a more informed opinion.

I could dolly my current car but I know people who say it's a real hassle. A half-hour to set up and a half-hour to tear down, sucks to do it in the rain, plus you need to stop every few hours in the first part of the trip to check that the straps are still tight. Then there's the whole "can't back up at all" thing, needing a camping space of adequate size for the RV and the car, as well as stashing the dolly at home and on the road, etc.

Thanks,

Ray
Well I only tow the car when the RV is mooving !!!! [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]
Cacique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:07 PM   #19

Much bigger hassle not having the toad. Hooking them up is not a big deal. We had hooking up the four down toad down to well under 10 minutes. Ive used a dolly as well, and its not much longer. We blew an alternator last winter, and had to travel all over to find one. It would have been a pain in the rv, especially since we were running on the generator. If it was a more serious part, you wouldn't even be able to drive the rv.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
We take it all the time. It's like a lifeboat if you have a mechanical issue.

This X 2!
Old 03-31-2019, 08:43 PM   #21

Would not be without the toad.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:44 PM   #22
OCM

If you've ever broke down in the middle of Kansas, at night, without a towed, you'll get one next trip. Dolly with brakes, lights and load range "D" tires allows more than one type vehicle to be carried. Set up gets easier and faster till it's a non-issue. I won't go more than 50 miles without a towed.
OCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:17 PM   #23
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The ONLY time we don't tow a vehicle is when we take our boat somewhere. On those occasions, we need someone to launch the boat, so we still have a vehicle for emergencies, shopping, dinner, etc.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:10 PM   #24

I have had two 38’ motorhomes. The first one with no toad, we found ourselves renting a car. When we bought the 38’ bounder dp we decided to tow my daily driver which is a suburban 4x4. I use the blue ox tow bar and its only takes maybe 10 minutes at the most. It really is great to be able to take day trips without breaking down camp, run to the store or out to dinner. Keep on traveling
Old 04-01-2019, 05:20 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
in my humble opinion, unless i am taking it in for service and have a ride to pick me up, or running to the local flying j for fuel or propane, i would not leave my driveway in the coach without a vehicle on our dolly................TO ME, traveling without a toad is something i would not do...............
jsmmonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 05:47 AM   #26

Its a shame you listened to the " anti dolly " folks.

Aside from having 5 more feet in the site to store the dolly ( it gets rolled under the MH ), the rest is just hearsay.

We load the car in the same amount of time as it takes to dump the waste tanks, raining or not. We check the straps ONCE after a right and left turn.

If rain is predicted, if possable, we load the car the night before, but not in the mud. If its muddy, we drive both to high ground.

Last winter we traded up cars, while traveling. It took 5 minutes extra to adjust the tire straps to the new cars larger tires and off we went.

Some people will always struggle with loading a car on a dolly, but they probably will struggle with 4 down too. There are a lot of steps, if using some brake controls and getting it in tow mode.

As far as bringing a car, yes we always bring a car, on a tow dolly.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:55 AM   #27

American Coach Owners Club
We live in a boating area and also barnacle heaven.
Here and there, you'll see these floating docks, that eventually disappear anyway, but nothing like the amount of power lifts, you'll see, mounted on pilings inside a dock area.
Soooooooooo, by this example, my conclusion is that when making choices, just have a look around for what you see the most of and especially if the most prevalent, costs more money. This has to be telling you something.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:00 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The beginning of our first year of RV ownership, we did not tow a vehicle. We went on several trips without incident. We also planned well before we left so we usually had everything we needed. For the ocassions where we didn’t have something, we just did without it. Our trips were usually a week or less and we enjoyed relaxing in and around the RV. Later in our first year we bought a tow dolly. Took it on about four trips. One trip was from VA-TN-SC-VA. Never had a problem with the dolly but had many issues with the straps coming loose. (in hindsight I chalk it up to user error. I believe that I had the hitch height to high which was a contributing factor to the straps loosening). Still, I have hip, back and knee problems so I sold the dolly and went 4-down. My wife is not 100% well so we ALWAYS have a toad with us for all of the reasons others have mentioned and then some. We will not go on a trip without the toad anymore. I call it a convenient necessity.
swoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow