Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-02-2021, 06:20 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Dave Killey's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Posts: 274
Demco Baseplate failure Tahoe, Yukon, Escalade, pick GMC pickups

Anyone have a failure of the Demco Baseplate 951820. They were installed on my 2011 gmc 1500 Sierra pick up truck 9 years ago. Last year one baseplate broke in two. Had to get new one sent to my location to get back on the road. Then a couple of weeks ago the other side baseplate broke damaging rv and my truck. It is apparent the two breakages were same location and the new baseplates they sent to me had a new metal plate welded across to prevent the failure. This leads me to believe they know there was a problem and fixed it with new plate. The tow bar itself suffered damage on 2nd failure. Demco has offered a new one for $800.
Not a bad offer. I feel Demco is at fault here but more importantly this need to be put out there for others to check their baseplates for signs of it failing. It must be removed to check it.
__________________
David Killey
2004 Newmar, Mountain Aire 40ft, DP
Langley, BC, Canada, 2011 GMC Sierra Pick UP is our toad.
Dave Killey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2021, 06:30 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
hoosierrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Killey View Post
Anyone have a failure of the Demco Baseplate 951820. They were installed on my 2011 gmc 1500 Sierra pick up truck 9 years ago. Last year one baseplate broke in two. Had to get new one sent to my location to get back on the road. Then a couple of weeks ago the other side baseplate broke damaging rv and my truck. It is apparent the two breakages were same location and the new baseplates they sent to me had a new metal plate welded across to prevent the failure. This leads me to believe they know there was a problem and fixed it with new plate. The tow bar itself suffered damage on 2nd failure. Demco has offered a new one for $800.
Not a bad offer. I feel Demco is at fault here but more importantly this need to be put out there for others to check their baseplates for signs of it failing. It must be removed to check it.
I'm almost surprised that they would offer any help on a 9 year old installation. I feel that towing impact on steel durability or deterioration is long slow process and it appears that eventually they will all fail at a future time. The manufacturers probably believe that no one will keep a toad for much more than 6 years.

Thanks for telling us about this. Hopefully will help someone avoid a disaster.
__________________
2016 Leisure Travel Vans - Serenty
Toad - 2009 RAV4, 2WD with Remco Lube pump
hoosierrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:24 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Talloaks's Avatar


 
Country Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Kalamazoo MI
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierrun View Post
... I feel that towing impact on steel durability or deterioration is long slow process and it appears that eventually they will all fail at a future time. The manufacturers probably believe that no one will keep a toad for much more than 6 years.

Hoosier, do you have any data or references to support your statement? If so, it would be very helpful if you would make it available for review.
__________________
John
2007 Country Coach Tribute; Cat C9 400; 2012 Ford Edge toad; Roadmaster Blackhawk 2 10,000 lb tow bar; Demco AF1 Braking System; 2007 BMW K1200LT Hannigan Trike Conversion; Member, IEEE, NFPA, PMI, NRC SRO (Ret).
Talloaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:19 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
153stars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Braidwood Il.
Posts: 4,022
I agree its more likely to break after 9 yrs of usual use, than the one year of second unit. Basic raw material steel may not be what it once was either based on discussions with welders and fabricators .
Also that's two failures in a year ,has something changed tow/ brake system to contribute.
__________________
95 Monaco Crown Royale
M11 400hp, 4060 trans.
Aquahot, Generac Guardian7.5k
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:34 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
hoosierrun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talloaks View Post
Hoosier, do you have any data or references to support your statement? If so, it would be very helpful if you would make it available for review.
I'm going through this now with my 2nd failure in 5 years. In my discussion with the manufacturer, we talked about what causes eventually failure. There are some variables, namely road conditions. When you drive on rough roads, there is a tremendous amount of stress put on the brackets and the attachment points. Assuming all bolts are secure and there have been no wrecks, the failure occurs very gradual, starting with a stress crack and progressing from there. Other contributing factors include an un-level tow bar and accelerating before the bar is locked in-place.

Because I had two failures, the manufacturer was a bit reluctant to put a 3rd base plate on my 2009 vehicle. They offered to assist in setting up a new model for me, but I found that vehicle availability is rather poor at this time plus costs are quite inflated if a towable vehicle can be found (the wait time might be unacceptable too). As it ends up, they are making a design change and will add more brackets/welds to beef up their current design. I figure that by the time the replacement unit fails (if ever), it will be time for a new vehicle.

Because there are so many variables and different driving habits, it is really difficult to predict the life of anyone's setup. The best you can do is be aware of the age, mileage travelled, type of terrain, and perform inspections as the manufacturer recommends. To do a thorough inspection usually means that there must be some disassembly to be able to get full view of the brackets and attachment points.
__________________
2016 Leisure Travel Vans - Serenty
Toad - 2009 RAV4, 2WD with Remco Lube pump
hoosierrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:28 AM   #6
NXR
Senior Member
 
NXR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 3,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierrun View Post
I'm almost surprised that they would offer any help on a 9 year old installation.
I'm not. When I was selecting a baseplate for my 2020 Equinox I looked at the installation videos produced by Etrailer for baseplates by Blue Ox, Roadmaster, and Demco. I knew almost nothing about Demco and just looked at that video for hints on how to help install a baseplate from one of the other two.

Yes, I selected Demco for a couple of reasons when they were not really in consideration originally. Then I had some fit problems when installing the baseplate because the 1/4" thick steel plates that slip behind the impact beam ("bumper") did not fit flush against the baseplate. For whatever reason they were bent at the wrong angle for a 2020 Equinox.

I sent Demco an email with a few pics and got a call back from one of their managers. They had me take some different pics to assure I had everything else installed properly, had me take some more measurements, conferred among themselves, and then bent me two new plates at the proper angle and overnighted them to me. They fit perfectly. The manager from Demco followed up frequently to assure all was going well.

Yes, Demco fabricated two new plates out of 1/4" steel, drilled them, painted them, and got them to me in a day. I guess being Made In America by themselves does make a difference.

They sure did not make any money on that baseplate sale but they got a customer for life. I bought a Stay-IN-Play DUO as well.

Ray
__________________
2020 Forest River Georgetown GT5 34H5
NXR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 05:35 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I'm not. When I was selecting a baseplate for my 2020 Equinox I looked at the installation videos produced by Etrailer for baseplates by Blue Ox, Roadmaster, and Demco. I knew almost nothing about Demco and just looked at that video for hints on how to help install a baseplate from one of the other two.

Yes, I selected Demco for a couple of reasons when they were not really in consideration originally. Then I had some fit problems when installing the baseplate because the 1/4" thick steel plates that slip behind the impact beam ("bumper") did not fit flush against the baseplate. For whatever reason they were bent at the wrong angle for a 2020 Equinox.

I sent Demco an email with a few pics and got a call back from one of their managers. They had me take some different pics to assure I had everything else installed properly, had me take some more measurements, conferred among themselves, and then bent me two new plates at the proper angle and overnighted them to me. They fit perfectly. The manager from Demco followed up frequently to assure all was going well.

Yes, Demco fabricated two new plates out of 1/4" steel, drilled them, painted them, and got them to me in a day. I guess being Made In America by themselves does make a difference.

They sure did not make any money on that baseplate sale but they got a customer for life. I bought a Stay-IN-Play DUO as well.

Ray
That is good info. Looks like I will be going with Demco towing products once they start building a baseplate for the new L Model Grand Cherokee Overland that I purchased a few days ago. I have some time for them to start building it because I am a little over a year from retirement and plan to acquire the Motorhome in retirement.
T_Roy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:04 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Barneyb's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Wadsworth, Ohio
Posts: 253
I would have never just replaced one, if one broke without help I would have replaced both of them.
Sorry about the damage to your vehicles
__________________
Barney & Penny with our two puppies Lucy & Dixie
2008 Fleetwood Discovery
2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Barneyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
baseplate



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone flat towing a '15, '16 or '17 Tahoe, Yukon or Escalade? paulch Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 10 03-24-2021 04:12 PM
Questions re. towing a '16 Escalade (Tahoe & Yukon too) JCleary Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 9 10-07-2016 07:31 AM
Towing 2013-2104 Yukon/Tahoe/Yukon XL/Suburban pwhittle Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 1 11-04-2015 04:20 PM
Demco Baseplate for GMC 1500 4x4 Happytrails3 Toads and Motorhome Related Towing 1 09-27-2014 09:03 PM
Yukon/Tahoe Hybrids Hitchhiker Going Green 3 07-31-2008 05:52 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.