Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2015, 12:20 PM   #1

Demco Harness for 2015 Cherokee Truly Plug-N-Play

I finally got around to installing the Demco wiring harness for our 2015 Jeep Cherokee. I must say it was fairly easy and almost painless . Simply remove the taillights unplug the factory harness and plug the Demco harness in between. The connectors matched and locked perfectly. The diodes are wired into the harness. No wires to cut or splice. I know its more expensive than a regular diode kit, but I like the fact that I can completely remove the harness, and return it to factory original. The painful part was this old body crawling under the car routing the 4 flat wire up to the front . Now I just have to have the baseplate installed, and we should be ready to hit the road.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2015, 12:13 PM   #2

That is wonderful. BTW did you install a breakaway on your Cherokee? I am having a difficult time finding a route for the cable through the firewall on my 2014 Grand Cherokee. Just looking for a hint - thanks
Old 04-01-2015, 06:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gma-n-Gpa View Post
That is wonderful. BTW did you install a breakaway on your Cherokee? I am having a difficult time finding a route for the cable through the firewall on my 2014 Grand Cherokee. Just looking for a hint - thanks
I haven't got the Rvibrake yet. They are currently back ordered. I heard someone mention that they were having a difficult time running the break away and ended up doing a temporary fix. He routed the break away cable back to the firewall, out the back edge of the hood and came in through the opening for the drivers door. Definitely not the preferred solution, but may work until a route through the firewall is found. I watched an install video on you tube and most people end up pulling back the carpet and looking for one of the grommets used for one of the wiring harnesses to pass through the firewall and carefully make an additional hole for the break away cable to run through. Then take a straightened out coat hanger push it through your new hole, tape or hook the wire to the hanger and then spray with something to lubricant the wire and pull it back through.
My problem with the Cherokee V6 Limited is that everything is sealed up from the front and the bottom. Makes it very difficult to make any of the required cable runs.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:34 AM   #4

i am seeing the same on my Grand Cherokee. in fact it appears that there is a "double" fire wall. I am going back under the dash one more time to see if i can locate any existing opportunities. I am using a steel rod to poke through existing grommets - still no real luck. will keep you posted if or when i locate a passage way. Last resort will be to go to an RV shop UGH $$.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:06 PM   #5

BPoland - found a route. Not sure if yours will be the same as mine but..... Pulling the carpet down in the drivers area revealed a large wire bundle going through the firewall almost directly behind the brake pedal. i poked a sharp steel rod through the inside grommet and out another grommet - on checking in the engine compartment i had actually come out through the steering column grommet. so a little "enlarging" of the opening and was successful getting a pull string through.
Routing the other end was not as hard as the folks that installed the base plate also did the Towed wiring. so a simple matter of using the flat four wire as a pull string i got a "real" pull string in place for the final assembly. Wont get to that till tomorrow or Saturday. Gotta go to granddaughter's track meet.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:00 AM   #6

Thanks for the update. I haven't looked at the floorboard area yet. Worst case, as a temporary solution, I can run the breakaway wire out from the back corner of the hood and in through the drivers door or window. Definitely not the prefered method, but if time ends up being short.... I also have to be careful poking holes in gromets with wires in them. The way my luck has been lately, I can see bad things happening sharp object - wire bundle