Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2022, 06:17 AM   #1

Demco Stay-IN-Play critical pre-fight check

Just had an issue with my Stay-IN-Play system that I’d like to share.
As part of my hook-up routine, I pull the breakaway switch and listen for the air pump to start up and also for my wife in the RV cab to confirm that my Wireless CoachLink signals that the toad system is braking. This is not good enough.
While the air pump is chugging away, I also looked inside the toad and saw that the pneumatic cylinder was ‘activated.’ Still not good enough!
A step that I failed to do was to check to make sure the brake pedal is fully depressed and the cable is taut to the firewall connection.
Sometime in the past few months and 3000 miles of towing, the cable connection inside the pneumatic cylinder had come loose. The pneumatic cylinder still moved but nothing was happening at the cable end.

The FIX – Per Mr. Ben at DEMCO:
1. Detach the air tubing from the 90-degree fitting on the end of the cylinder. Do this by pressing the tubing into the fitting, then pulling the slim ring on the end of the fitting in towards the fitting. This should allow you to remove the tubing.
2. Unscrew the brass 90-degree elbow from the cylinder.
3. Inside the hole in the top of the cylinder you should see a small screw head. This ¼” pan-head allen screw connects the pneumatic cylinder to a rod which is fitted onto the end of the cable. Fit your allen wrench into the screw head and tighten it down; you’ll need to hold onto the cable at the other end of the cylinder to keep it from rotating. I suggest that you first try to get the screw started and tighten gently. Then, loosen and pull the screw and hit it with some Loctite® Threadlocker Blue.
4. Reinsert screw and tighten it down.
5. Reassemble brass 90-degree elbow and pneumatic tubing.
6. Energize the Demco system and pull the breakaway to confirm the brake pedal is truly pulled towards the firewall.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220205_112909.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	399.2 KB
ID:	356287   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220205_115618.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	356288  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220205_115631.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	356289   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220205_115713.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	365.0 KB
ID:	356290  

TomeAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2022, 06:59 AM   #2

TomeAR-

On my toad, the brake lights activate when the pedal moves, even with the ignition switch off. So, my "best" check is to pull the breakaway plug and see if the brake lights go on. If they do, I'm OK. Often- but not always- I'll look under the dash, too, and ensure the brake pedal is as far down as I remember it should be.

Thanks for the repair procedure. On my Duo, the cable broke. I had to send the cylinder back to Demco for a rebuild.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 03:50 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
On all my installations on mine and for friends, I install a dash light in the coach that is connected to the toad brake pedal. I know the system is working as the light will come on. On mine, I have the AF1 which uses my coach air. I can push on the coach brake before a start off and see the light illuminate and know the system is working.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 04:36 PM   #4
NXR

My Equinox has the inside red LED strip and the CoachLink wired such that the brake pedal must move to light the LED strip (and signal the CoachLink).

I also pull the breakaway pin and listen to hear the compressor start up and see that the red LED strip lights up. Once they did not. The car had been at the dealer and I found the compressor fuse blown. Not just a broken link, totally melted and exploded. I replaced the fuse and it's been fine for two years. The only thing I can figure is that the dealership techs were messing with it, maybe demonstrating it or something.

How is the red LED strip/CoachLink wired in a CR-V such that they falsely show the brakes are being applied?

When I first installed the CoachLink because we could almost never see the red LED strip, it alerted me that the brakes in the car were barely applying. They only came on immediately before the car stopped, not during the actual stopping. I had to increase the sensitivity setting a touch.

Ray
Old 02-13-2022, 07:36 AM   #5

Very good point - Need to investigate further

"How is the red LED strip/CoachLink wired in a CR-V such that they falsely show the brakes are being applied?"

Good question!!!

It's possible that since the brake light does not activate when the ignition key is in the accessory position for my 2013 CR-V, the Demco system relies on a brake light signal from the RV.
See dashed line from blue wire between Operating Unit and Breakaway Switch.

I'll investigate further.
TomeAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 07:01 PM   #6
NXR

I haven't watched it but this etrailer video might help you figure out what's wrong. It says "SMI" because Demco later bought SMI but the system is the same. It's for the 2014 CR-V but the installation probably is the same as your 2013

Ray