Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-28-2021, 01:23 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Demco Tow Bar to Blue Ox Baseplate

Hi,

I have a Blue Ox tow bar and a Blue Ox baseplate installed on the toad. It is time to get a new tow bar. I want to keep the installed baseplate. I like the Demco Excali-bar 3. BUT, Demco no longer sells a Demco to Blue Ox adaptor for the Excali-bar. At least, it appears so - the model number is dimmed out on their website.

Etrailer.com sells a combo for $975 that includes the Excali-bar and an adaptor for the Blue Ox baseplate. If you look at the photo on Etrailer's website, the adaptor doesn't appear to be too substantial. I don't want to buy a 10.5K rated tow bar if the adaptor is not able to support the same weight. Here is a link:

https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar/Dem...511013-BX.html

Etrailer does sell a Blue Ox brand adaptor that looks to be built like a mack truck. Here is a link:

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...x/BX88310.html

But this Blue Ox adapter costs a whopping $393! Almost half the cost of the tow bar alone.

Has anyone bought and used the Excali-bar with adaptor from Etrailer? Is the adaptor heavy-duty enough? Any advice about other heavy-duty tow bar / adaptor combos?

Regards.

Chuck
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2021, 02:17 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I bought these in 2015, they are built well. the price is almost $20 more now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the original Excali-bar.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 02:26 PM   #3

Note the Demco commander uses a different Blue OX adapter than the Excali-bar, however, if you don't already own the tow bar, save yourself some money and buy the etrailer XHD with Blue Ox connectors instead https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar/etrailer/e67ZR.html it is basically the same tow bar Excalibar-II not III, but specs are the same, built by Demco, just painted a different color and does not come standard with Demco base plate adapters you would be discarding anyway.

I recently inquired with Demco about the differences between the Excali-bar II and III, and what they told me was the square vs round tube was the biggest difference, also the II uses a combination of power coating and e-coating, where the III only uses e-coating.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 11:14 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks Guys. Very helpful info!

Regards.

Chuck
Old 03-29-2021, 11:27 AM   #5

Knowing the construction and engineering quality of Demco products, I would have no problem using their adapters on the Excali-bar tow bar.
Old 03-29-2021, 06:47 PM   #6

I bought these.
Papa Foxtrot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:55 AM   #7

I have a demco aluminator with a different base plate. I put five washers on each side.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:46 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I just purchased the e67ZR from etrailer.com to replace my 13 year old Blue Ox Aventa that is showing unusual wear and I am afraid of failure, although I haven't received it yet. etrailer advertises it as manufactured by Demco but branded with their name and other than that identical to the Demco Excalibar III with the same lifetime warranty but handled by them. The only difference I can see is the price that is $100 less. If you look at the e67ZR on etrailer you will see my question to them in which they explain and there is a video also describing the bars.

I am not recommending this tow bar especially since I haven't received it yet but I had made up my mind to get the Demco before I saw the etrailer e67ZR and have always been satisfied with etrailer products so I ordered it.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:20 AM   #9

You mention that it is $100 cheaper, but there is another difference, it does not come with Demco attachments, only Blue Ox attachments, which makes sense given you don't have a Demco base plate.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseplate, blue ox, tow