Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Have you witnessed a TOAD becoming detached in motion?
Yes, a partion detachment happened to me, safety cables, etc. held 2 5.00%
A full detachement has happened to me, TOAD ended up in ditch, etc. 0 0%
I have watched it happen to others 1 2.50%
I have seen the likely aftermath, TOADs in ditch, motorhomes dragging tow bars, base plates, etc. 5 12.50%
No, never seen it , never seen the aftermath 32 80.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2021, 02:16 PM   #1

Detached TOAD survey

Here is a simple survey for you, have you experienced a detached TOAD car, either partly or fully detached, or have you seen it happen to someone else, either in action as it happened, or seen a TOAD in a ditch on the side of the road. Seeing it in photos or on youtube does not count.

p.s. personally I have seen 2 TOADs in ditches with no people around that were likely, but not proven to be detachments, one was a Jeep Wrangler about 100 feet of the side of I-49 with tow bar on the front, the other was a Jeep Grand Cherokee in the ditch on the side of the Natchez Trace parkway (park ranger was coming on the scene with his lights on as I approached, no signs of people around).
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2021, 02:17 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
No, I not seen a detached toad in my travels.

Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 02:22 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I "lost" a pin twice before I switched to locking ones. Installer (me) error? or ???

I found both almost all the way out before the Toad disconnected completely.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 04:27 AM   #4

At a campground I talked with a guy who just had a baseplate failure. One of the two towbar arms had detached. (broken weld on baseplate)
He looked in his mirror and his toad was positioned way over to the left.
There was damage to the toad bumper cover and the rear bumper of the DP which happened as he was stopping.
He did not have a braking system in the toad.

Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 04:33 AM   #5

Almost lost my golf cart once because I forgot to put the hitch pin in. Friction kept the trailer attached until I got on the highway. Safety chains held.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 05:02 AM   #6

Overnighting at Walmart, Staunton, several years ago when a DP came on the lot with one half of hitch detached from DP frame and the other half bent to 30 degrees. A true wonder!!!!
Old 09-01-2021, 06:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I "lost" a pin twice before I switched to locking ones. Installer (me) error? or ???

I found both almost all the way out before the Toad disconnected completely.
OK - I'll 'fess up. On our current trip, a few days ago, shortly after we pulled out of the site and onto the highway, had the rear view camera on and noticed the Wrangler starting to swerve back and forth. Quickly pulled over onto the shoulder and found that the tow bar had slipped out of the receiver and the Jeep was up against the coach, but safety chains saved our bacon! The locking pin and the anti-rattle bracket were both MIA! Pretty sure I have to chalk that up to my error - when I took it all apart to re-torque the anti-rattle brackets (I also have one on the drop hitch), I must have left the locking pin off. Found the "missing" locking pin in the box where I keep all my spare hookup parts - no idea why I put it there when I inspected and re-torqued. I do remember getting side-tracked in the process, though - not that that's an excuse... Glad the camera was on!

Tow bar was scraped up a bit, but otherwise looks none the less for wear. Demco Commander, by the way - kudos to them! However, will surely be checking it throughout the trip!
MRichaud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:06 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Around 1990 I was towing an 89 Jeep Cherokee behind our Class A. Coming off a steep hill in Nova Scotia I heard a grinding noise. (This was pre rear camera days for us) I asked the tired and grumpy DW to proceed to the rear window and she snarled back at me to, "ignore it there's nothing wrong" and that I was just being a nervous nellie. I implored her to proceed to the rear window which she did with significant grumbles. Upon her arrival at that rear window station she let out a blood curling scream, hollering, "DON'T STOP DONLT STOP!"

At that point I glanced out my left drivers side mirror and observed the Cherokee initiating a move to pass me on the drivers side. I did not slam on the brakes but coasted to a stop on the shoulder as fast as possible without sudden braking. I got out and ran around back and found the base plate, which went through the bumper to the frame had ripped off along with the entire front bumper. It was holding on only by a small piece of steel attached to the drivers side. The safety cables were still in place but seemed to have enough slack to begin initiating the drivers side pass.
It all held but the Mrs. had the honor of driving the Jeep all the way back to Georgia for repairs. I found I had the wrong base plate attachment and installed the correct ones. Luckily some frame welding was all that was required and I salvaged the bumper. No other damage noted.

Watching your toad initiate a legally proper left side pass (without signals) is always exciting.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:36 PM   #9

Nope...never seen one or experienced a toad disconnect. (And I hope I NEVER DO!)
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:54 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
I had a baseplate come loose and nearly depart the car while towing. Didn't detach but was loose and tore up the attached structure on the car. Over $3000 to repair the car and reinstall tow bar. Turns out installer did not apply the required Locktite on the bolts when installing. Installer was a Blu-Ox dealer and Blue-Ox got them to pay for the damage. Could have been much worse had the car come completely off.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 02:28 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here's a 2015 Jeep Cherokee that partially detached due to the inherent tow wobble problem. Driver said he was doing approximately 55 mph when the violet back and forth shaking first started.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wobble damage.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	341681  
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 02:52 PM   #12

On our very first trip, the car nearly came off the TOW DOLLY. After about 50 miles of driving, I pulled off the highway and to our shock and horror, both of the big wheel straps were gone! These two straps is what holds the front wheels to the dolly. The only thing keeping car from rolling off the dolly was the shallow pan the front wheels sit in and the car was in PARK. That's all! Turns out the front suspension cut through both straps at that same location.
Since then I bought different straps and relocated the mounting method.

Once I drove the car up, then on and right OFF the wrong end of the dolly...but that's for another survey!

John

Tags
toad