Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2020, 09:06 PM   #1

Detailed towing instructions Jeep Wrangler JL

Can an experienced rv,er give us detailed instructions on flat towing our new Jeep Wrangler. It has an auto trans. We are using roadmaster nighthawk with Air Force 1. Brakes.
Thanks in advance!
aguyintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2020, 09:23 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguyintx View Post
Can an experienced rv,er give us detailed instructions on flat towing our new Jeep Wrangler. It has an auto trans. We are using roadmaster nighthawk with Air Force 1. Brakes.
Thanks in advance!
How about a not-so-experienced-but-I-towed-mine-three-times RVer?

I can't speak to your Air Force 1, but I can speak to what you need to do to the Jeep:

https://www.quadratec.com/c/referenc...-jeep-wrangler
Old 10-09-2020, 09:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguyintx View Post
Thanks in advance!
Just wondering, why don't you look in the OWNERS MANUAL for the Jeep's instructions on prep for towing? Or, are you talking about initially setting the Jeep up for towing?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
How about a not-so-experienced-but-I-towed-mine-three-times RVer?

I can't speak to your Air Force 1, but I can speak to what you need to do to the Jeep:

https://www.quadratec.com/c/referenc...-jeep-wrangler
I am looking for 2020 specific instructions... ie no key ect. thx though
Old 10-10-2020, 06:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Just wondering, why don't you look in the OWNERS MANUAL for the Jeep's instructions on prep for towing? Or, are you talking about initially setting the Jeep up for towing?
Scott
Jeep is already rigged up. I have read the owners manual several times, however I have found that with the wealth of knowledge on here, you often get info, tips, tricks, ect that aren't in the manual.

My apologies if my request came off as being to lazy to read the manual, just looking for additional insight....EXPERIENCE is ALWAYS the best teacher.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:19 AM   #6

To me the hardest part is getting the transfer case to neutral. To accomplish this I have taken to putting transfer case into 4wd while driving up to rear of rig. Then when I have some momentum I place transmission into neutral and while rolling pull transfer case from 4wd to neutral. Then stop when wife tells me I am close enough to hook up tow bar. Do it a few time and it becomes very easy. My manual tells you to place transfer case into neutral while stopped which is hit or miss on gear alignment. You can practice this in an open lot to get the distance you need down. Hope this helps. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Old 10-10-2020, 08:02 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper2020 View Post
Then stop when wife tells me I am close enough to hook up tow bar.
...and there's the rub. I'm told to stop 3" short, or 2" too close. So far, there's been a lot of backing and forthing.

And hey, AGuyinTX - my apologies! I missed that you had a fancy new JL series Wrangler.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:48 AM   #8

Detailed towing instructions Jeep Wrangler JL

Here’s a copy of the check list that I use with my JLUR. Some may say that it’s over kill but work for me and can modified as necessary.

Also agree with getting the TC into neutral but it does get easier the more you use it.

As for the AF1 it’s just an air line connection but you must have the system adjusted correctly at the brake pedal. In order to set the position, using a 1/4” spacer, tighten that braided wire. The installation manual gives the correct angles and position.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1737.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	339.9 KB
ID:	304140Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1738.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	286.7 KB
ID:	304141
Old 10-10-2020, 09:05 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
This is my process for the last 2 years. The DW pulls the Jeep up to the tow bar as I direct her to center it.

When the tow bar arms are in range she puts it in gear and shuts it down.

I do the hook up and insert all pins and cables. I have a Ready Brute tow bar so the brake hook up is attaching a cable to the front bumper.

I enter and start the Jeep, foot on brake and put it in reverse. Slowly creep backwards until I hear the pins on the tow bar click in, and or feel the tow arms stop the Jeep.

Put the trans in neutral with the motor running, and move the transfer shifter into neutral. It goes in fairly easily. Wait for the "N" to light on the dash indicating that the transfer case is in neutral.

Motor still running, foot on brake, move shifter into reverse and let foot off of brake. Jeep should not move or jerk as both trans and transfer case are in neutral.

Now do the same moving the shifter into drive. Should be the same process. Both trans and transfer case are verified as being in neutral.

Shift transmission into Park. Parking "P" may start to blink and display message "vehicle speed too fast to shift to park". Push ignition start/stop to turn off motor. You will hear a click as the transmission locks into park.

With foot off of brake, turn ignition on again. Lights will illuminate on dash, and the "P" for park will be on solid.

You are done. I have a Cool Tech wiring harness that has a switch that separates the brake lights on the Jeep from the rigs brakes. Flip switch to "Tow" position. The RV now controls the brake light functions on the Jeep.

Put up a window shade and lock the door of the Jeep.

The hook up process usually takes about 5-10 minutes if I am taking my time. After you do it for a while, it gets even faster.

Just MY method for preparing to tow.
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeW View Post
This is my process for the last 2 years. The DW pulls the Jeep up to the tow bar as I direct her to center it.

When the tow bar arms are in range she puts it in gear and shuts it down.

I do the hook up and insert all pins and cables. I have a Ready Brute tow bar so the brake hook up is attaching a cable to the front bumper.

I enter and start the Jeep, foot on brake and put it in reverse. Slowly creep backwards until I hear the pins on the tow bar click in, and or feel the tow arms stop the Jeep.

Put the trans in neutral with the motor running, and move the transfer shifter into neutral. It goes in fairly easily. Wait for the "N" to light on the dash indicating that the transfer case is in neutral.

Motor still running, foot on brake, move shifter into reverse and let foot off of brake. Jeep should not move or jerk as both trans and transfer case are in neutral.

Now do the same moving the shifter into drive. Should be the same process. Both trans and transfer case are verified as being in neutral.

Shift transmission into Park. Parking "P" may start to blink and display message "vehicle speed too fast to shift to park". Push ignition start/stop to turn off motor. You will hear a click as the transmission locks into park.

With foot off of brake, turn ignition on again. Lights will illuminate on dash, and the "P" for park will be on solid.

You are done. I have a Cool Tech wiring harness that has a switch that separates the brake lights on the Jeep from the rigs brakes. Flip switch to "Tow" position. The RV now controls the brake light functions on the Jeep.

Put up a window shade and lock the door of the Jeep.

The hook up process usually takes about 5-10 minutes if I am taking my time. After you do it for a while, it gets even faster.

Just MY method for preparing to tow.

Have you had any issues re-engaging the transmission after towing? I just towed my 2020 JL for the first time and have had several weird issues after going back into driving mode. There are no instructions I can find for the keyless JL model.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:39 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I just checked with the DW as she is the one that usually reengages the trans. The process she uses is to start the motor, then put the trans into neutral. Then she moves the transfer case back into 2 Hi. Once in 2 high, the transmission is moved to Park until she is ready to move the vehicle away.

What kind of "weird" issues are you experiencing?
Old 10-11-2020, 08:59 AM   #12

After re-engaging transmission and driving about 5 miles and parking, the check engine light came on when I restarted the Jeep. I had no power steering for about 5 minutes, and then it returned. Drove about 10 miles and the light went out. The next day, while in 4Auto, I put it in reverse and before I moved a couple of feet, it was as if the brakes were applied. Put in drive and it did the same. 4Auto started flashing, so I moved to 2H and everything is fine now.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:33 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
You may have an electrical glitch not telling your powertrain what to do. Have Jeep plug it in and see if there are codes in the ECM.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:44 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
Here’s a copy of the check list that I use with my JLUR. Some may say that it’s over kill but work for me and can modified as necessary.

Also agree with getting the TC into neutral but it does get easier the more you use it.

As for the AF1 it’s just an air line connection but you must have the system adjusted correctly at the brake pedal. In order to set the position, using a 1/4” spacer, tighten that braided wire. The installation manual gives the correct angles and position.

Attachment 304140Attachment 304141

We use about the same procedure on our 2020 Gladiator, except for adding the RVi3 brake unit as the last step. That takes only a couple of minutes.
I did find out what happens when I forgot to switch the Cooltech back to "Jeep" on the last trip. The Jeep let me know! It said I had a tail light out. It took a few hours for the sensor and warning to reset, but the lights returned to normal function as soon as I flipped the switch.

Tags
jeep, led, tow, towing