Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2018, 05:39 PM   #1

Difference between "emergency" and "recreational" towing

Okie Dokie boys and girls, here is my question...

How does Ford hybrid vehicle know the difference between "emergency" and "recreational" towing?

The Owner's manual has both listed, but emergency towing is limited to Here is the emergency towing section....with a max speed of 35 MPH and a 50 mile limit.
Emergency towing

In case of a roadside emergency with a disabled vehicle (without access to wheel dollies, car hauling trailer, or flatbed transport vehicle) your
vehicle (regardless of transmission powertrain configuration) can be flat towed (all wheels on the ground) under the following conditions:

Vehicle is facing forward so that it is being towed in a forward direction.

Place the transmission in N (Neutral). Refer to Brake-shift interlock
in the Driving chapter for specific instructions if you cannot move the
gear shift lever into N (Neutral).

Maximum speed is not to exceed 35 mph (56 km/h).

Maximum distance is 50 miles (80 km).

Now for recreational towing which has a 75 MPH speed limit and no mileage limit.

RECREATIONAL TOWING

An example of “recreational towing” is towing your vehicle behind a motorhome.

Note: Put your climate control system in recirculated air mode toprevent exhaust fumes from entering the vehicle. Refer to the Climate Controls chapter for more information.

Note: If you tow your vehicle with all four wheels on the ground, follow these instructions:

Tow only in the forward direction.

Release the parking brake.

Place the transmission shift lever in N (Neutral).

Place the ignition to the accessory position (refer to Starting in the
Driving chapter).

Your vehicle may be towed up to a speed of 75 mph (120 km/h), but you should always obey local speed limits.

You also have the option of trailering the vehicle with its front wheels on a dolly (FWD only), or trailering with all four wheels off the ground. Do not tow your four–wheel drive (4WD) vehicle with the front wheels off the ground and the rear wheels on the ground (such as with the use of a tow dolly). This will cause damage to your 4WD system.

For other towing requirements, refer to Wrecker towing in the Roadside Emergencies chapter.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2018, 05:47 PM   #2

Well, uh, um, uh, I think, it must be.........

Good one.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:49 PM   #3

Placing ignition to accessory position.....that is the difference

Emergency......vehicle is 'disabled' (being drug to repair facility)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:08 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Recreational: behind your MH. [emoji16][emoji1][emoji2]🤩[emoji7]

Emergency: behind a wrecker. [emoji15][emoji36][emoji35]🤬[emoji24]
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 05:04 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
The difference I see, it looks like in EMERGENCY, you are not able to supply power to the ignition in the ACC position.

I suspect in RECREATIONAL, you are in ACC and select "N" on the transmission, it probably opens some solenoid valves inside the tranny that in turn supplies lubrication..

If you cant get it into ACC, theses valves stay closed and no lubrication, thus the lower speed and distance.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 02:12 AM   #6

This ?? isn't for me. I had someone that took offense that I posted the owner's manual info in a thread about towing a Ford Hybrid 4 down. I was just further exploring the issue.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:55 AM   #7

"in the Driving chapter for specific instructions if you cannot move the
gear shift lever into N (Neutral). "

The answer was taken from your post. Read it closely.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:18 AM   #8

]In case of a roadside emergency with a disabled vehicle (without access to wheel dollies, car hauling trailer, or flatbed transport vehicle) your
vehicle (regardless of transmission powertrain configuration) can be flat towed (all wheels on the ground) under the following conditions:[

I'll ask the question ; When the tow truck arrives , if it's not a flatbed, how does it tow the vehicle four down ?
Are they expecting the disabled vehicle to be towed on a chain or tow strap?

I'm thinking the text in this manual is about as close to double speak as it comes.

Why not just say , if the vehicle is being moved by a tow truck , lifted at either end the remaining wheels must be on dollies.
I haven't seen a tow truck in the last 50 years that doesn't have them.

Tags
tow, towing