Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2017, 02:03 PM   #1

Dinghy Tow Bars & Base Plates

Plan to tow 2011 Honda CRV (GVWR = 4,500 lbs) and would appreciate receiving thoughts and experience with Tow Bars (Blue Ox, Falcon, Demco, Roadmaster, etc.) and Face Plates.
Also would like comments on Aluminum Vs Steel Tow Bars.
Thanks.
RScroggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2017, 02:17 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I tow a 2006 CRV and chose Blue Ox because I didn't want that big "box" thing on the front of my vehicle. I also chose the Blue Ox Aladdin aluminum tow bar which was a mistake. It wore out in about 4 years and 20,000 mile of use. I replaced it with the Blue Ox Aventa. If I had to start over again I would go all Roadmaster due to lack of support from Blue Ox.

I believe your curb weight is closer to 3500 pounds.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:18 PM   #3

I use Demco products (base plate and tow bar) but only because I originally towed a F250 Diesel Crew cab. It's rated at 9,500 lbs. I now tow a GMC Terrain Denali but rather than buy a whole new system I still use the Demco but, if I were buying New, I'd probably buy a Blue Ox mostly because the base plate is "totally" concealed. Don't think it makes much difference other than weight if you use aluminum or steel so long as the equipment is rated for the weight you're towing.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:07 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I tow a 2006 CRV and chose Blue Ox because I didn't want that big "box" thing on the front of my vehicle. I also chose the Blue Ox Aladdin aluminum tow bar which was a mistake. It wore out in about 4 years and 20,000 mile of use. I replaced it with the Blue Ox Aventa. If I had to start over again I would go all Roadmaster due to lack of support from Blue Ox.

I believe your curb weight is closer to 3500 pounds.

You don't have to necessarily have the cross bar EZ4 with a Roadmaster now. I've just installed the EZ5 Baseplate from Roadmaster on my 2017 Honda Fit. When you remove to 2 hitch pins you can hardly tell it has a baseplate installed. I can put the 2 hitch pins in the spare tire well when not in use. I'm using the new Sterling All Terain Towbar with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2 EZ5 Hitch 2.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	510.7 KB
ID:	179635   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 EZ5 Hitch.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	498.8 KB
ID:	179642  

TriGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:28 PM   #5

I TOAD a '05 CR-V w/ Roadmaster base plate and Sterling tow bar for 11 yrs...
Have to Agree didn't like the X Bar
Loved the Sterling

Decided to try Blue Ox w/ "New" MH & '14 CR-V
Happy so far - I do like the clean base plate (but realize RM now has a similar option)
I went w/ Alum Aladdin - lighter to handle - no rust

If I was doing it all over....
I think I'd go RM Sterling and the new no xbar RM base plate & "pins"
I especially liked the sterling channels that captured the safety cables & wiring harness - nothing hanging down or need to remove / reinstall each hook-up

The original 5,000# rated ALL Alum Blue Ox Aladdins had a tendency to wear the hitch pin holes oval and same w/ the swivel yoke.
The newer ones are rated 7500# and have steel shank & yoke - less wear.

Bottom line - both are great set-ups - a little pricey but I think you won't regret either one.

Hope it helps
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:52 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I used the Roadmaster baseplate with the ReadyBrute Elite towbars!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:04 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Unless you plan to fully load your CR-V you will be know where near 4500lbs. You will be closer to 3500-3700lbs.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593, WIT 170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:57 PM   #8
WDW

We have more confidence in having RM baseplate and tow bar. It’s hard to beat the folks who wrote the book on it. As for the crossbar, at home or extend stays (more than a couple of days) we take it off. When on, it’s always pad locked to prevent inappropriate appropriation.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow