Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2020, 03:58 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dinghy Towing and Threaded quick link connectors

I have been working on setting my jeep up for flat towing. I have been flat towing for 12 years now, and always a 3/4" Chevy Crew Cab diesel pickup. Due to the weight of the vehicle I have been using the Roadmaster 10K hitch and safety cables.

Part of the Roadmaster & Blue ox setup is to use a quick link connector,like this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	7007930.png
Views:	34
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	275695

This is typically attached to the towed vehicle side, but could be on either end. This is how I have always towed, and how most others tow as well.

As I was researching the proper connectors for my jeep, I wanted to make use of the D Ring shackles, and I was researching the work load limit and the break strength ratings. I found that I needed a 5/8" D ring shackle to have enough work load limit for my jeep's weight.

When it arrived, it was so much heavier than the quick disconnect, I started to realize there was a problem. I have done some research and found that the supplier for Blue Ox and Roadmaster is Curt, and they only have a workload limit of 3300lbs.

Even with 2 of these, this is a far cry from 10k lbs.

NO company advertises the break strength ratings of these quick disconnects, but they are commonly used in the towed vehicles.

Am I missing something?
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2020, 07:50 PM   #2

Those threaded connectors are weak and not up to shock loads such as a break away situations.

For my GN and bumper pull trailers I use chain clevis hooks with a safety latch like these....https://www.etrailer.com/search/safety+chain+hooks

They make them for 1/4"...5/16"...3/8".... 1/2 inch chain.

I use a pair of 3/8" on my 10k bumper pull car haulers and 1/2" on my heavier GN trailers.

I have several farm and ranch stores near me that carries lots of flat bed chain/cable/nylon/etc tie down products. Tractor Supply near you should have them also.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 05:12 AM   #3

Those connectors are weak. Surprisingly weak. I needed a pair to tow a small Seadoo PWC trailer. I was looking at Home Depot and Lowe's. The 1st few that I looked at could not handle even that lite load. I finally found stronger metal connectors at a West Marine.

If West Marine did not have what I needed my next place would have been Tractor Supply Company.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:32 AM   #4

There comes a point where you don't want to much strenght in your safety chains, that why most come with open ended S hooks.

If your toad is broadsides, you want it to break away, rather then drag you along.

Same with a roll over. Let the toad disconnect, it may survive.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing