Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2019, 04:32 PM   #1

Dinghy Towing speed

I finally got around to buying a new dinghy tow vehicle . We are making the switch from Dolly towing to flat towing. I Purchased a very nice used 2014 Honda CRV front wheel drive model. My question is about the 65 mile speed restriction. Has anyone towed at a faster speeds, 68-70 mph with this vehicle without any issues? In my travels I did speak to someone with a Ford with similar restrictions and they told me that they switch the transmission fluid to synthetic and change it frequently and this allows them to exceed the 65 mile an hour restriction. Any thoughts, comments, etc...?
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2019, 04:50 PM   #2

Towing Your Vehicle
NOTICE
Failure to follow the recommended instructions exactly will result in severe automatic transmission damage. If you cannot shift the transmission or start the engine, your vehicle must be transported on a flat-bed truck or trailer

Do not exceed 65 mph (100 km/h).

AWD models
To avoid damage to the AWD system, your vehicle must be towed with all four wheels on the ground.

Consult your towing parts sales or rental agency if any other items are recommended or required for your towing situation

If you tow your vehicle behind a motorhome, the transmission fluid must be changed every 2 years or 30,000 miles (48,000 km), whichever comes first.

When Your Vehicle is Towed Behind a Motorhome

NOTICE
Severe transmission damage will occur if the vehicle is shifted from (R) to (N) and then towed with the drive wheels on the ground.

Wonder why MFG stated 65 mph
VS
Close to, around, what feels best etc

68-70 mph
Not going to get you to destinationthat much quicker
....5/10 minutes
2014 so wrranty shouldn't be a concern

What the heck........go for it

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 04:53 PM   #3

My GMC Terrain Denali has a 65 MPH speed limit when towing. I travel at 62 MPH all the time. Traveling at higher speeds uses more fuel but the biggest reason I don't any travel faster is stopping time and distance. You have a lot of forward momentum/weight to stop if an emergent situation arises. Besides you really don't save that much time by going 68 MPH vs 62 (maybe 7 to 8 seconds per mile)

Not so sure about the synthetic oil in the trans allowing it be pulled faster. I'd guess the manufacturer set a limit for a reason. Could be liability or mechanical.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:40 PM   #4

Thanks, I guess you are both right. I live in south florida and our stretch of 95 is 70 mph but most drive 80-85! And they love to ride right up your tail MH or not! I guess I shouldn’t be so concerned, but I find 68 mph in the right lane to be a good speed, (most do 75 in right lane!), Don’t know if going 3 mph faster than the specified speed would damage my transmission.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:09 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

When we towed Trackers (55 mph recommended limit), we near always exceeded it. It's a risk factor, not a hard & fast limit. It's all about heat generated in the tranny, and the faster you go the hotter it gets. If all else is doing well, you can probably exceed the limit substantially. In a worse case scenario, e.g. many hours of towing in ultra-hot weather, maybe not. A long, long drive on a broiling hot day may make it wise to stay below the prescribed limit. As with many things, "your mileage may vary".
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 01:17 PM   #6

Have towed two CRV automatics at 75 mph. for years with no problems. But do change transmission fluid every 30000 miles. Present one has 140000, mostly towed.
Old 10-26-2019, 05:08 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Go a size taller on the tires and reduce the actual speed the axles are turning. Should be good for 3-5 mph.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 06:09 AM   #8

Thanks everyone for your replies!.

I have a few questions for JCUSSEN and anyone else who would like to sare their experiences towing/servicing their CRV;

What year Honda do you and anyone else have?
Do you make any frequent stops to run the Honda through its gears to circulate the tranny fluid and at what intervals?
When you change the transmission fluid do you change the filter every time or certain milage only, and do you drain and fill or go to a dealer for the tranny flush service?
And what brand of tow set up do you have? I’m hearing I should go with Blue Ox towbars.

Thanks everyone, this helps me out a lot!
Old 10-27-2019, 07:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthla View Post

I have a few questions for JCUSSEN and anyone else who would like to sare their experiences towing/servicing their CRV;

Do you make any frequent stops to run the Honda through its gears to circulate the tranny fluid and at what intervals?
When you change the transmission fluid do you change the filter every time or certain milage only, and do you drain and fill or go to a dealer for the tranny flush service?
And what brand of tow set up do you have? I’m hearing I should go with Blue Ox towbars.

I'm not JCUSSEN but here is my story.
We have a 2011 CRV
I occasionally will start the car when we fuel up and let it idle and run it through the gears to lube everything up. Don't do it every time we fuel though. AND,,, it is easy to drive away from the fuel stop with the car still running,,, don't ask me how I know that. Oh and check into the fuse bypass so you don't run your battery down.
I have the tranny fluid changed every 30,000 miles but will have to check see if they have changed the filter.
We have the Roadmaster setup. On our vehicle you had to do some trimming
of the radiator support for the Blue Ox but none for the Roadmaster. That made it a no brainer in my book. Look for my other thread about Blue Ox warrantys.
Peteyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 10:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthla View Post

I have a 2008 and used to have a 2001. Both automatics. Never changed the filters. I have a local shop change the fluid about every 30000 miles, and I supply them with Honda DW-1 transmission fluid. I only do 3-400 miles a day so do not stop and run the car till i stop for the night. Did put a switch on the 08 to disconnect the radio when towing otherwise the battery would go dead because you must leave the key on while towing. I have had several towbars, but my favorite is the roadmaster all-terrain, I have now.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:25 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
I have a local shop change the fluid about every 30000 miles,
Do you count towed miles in the 30K? Or just miles on the odometer? On our 2014, the towed miles don't show on the odometer, but I keep a log book, so I know driven, towed, and total miles.

Thanks.

Chuck
Old 10-27-2019, 10:53 AM   #12
doc

Appalachian Campers
It might be the 65 is a CYA thing for the manufacturer. When we had the DP we cruised on the interstates at 65 to 68 depending on the traffic. Faster if the traffic was light. With this gasser we have now and the Wrangler 4 dr, it is more like 60 simply because of the mileage/gallon.
With the Honda Element, it was 65 to 68 also
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Conditioned Gypsy View Post
Do you count towed miles in the 30K? Or just miles on the odometer? On our 2014, the towed miles don't show on the odometer, but I keep a log book, so I know driven, towed, and total miles.

Thanks.

Chuck
My 08 miles accumulate anytime key on. But agree with you and would keep a log and change at 30000 whether towed or driven.
Old 10-27-2019, 04:04 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We are on CRV number two and routinely tow at 60. Speed above 60 decreases MPG and it's bad enough now. Plus a slower speed makes for a much more relaxed trip. Some time we travel with friends, when they lead they/we do 62.

Also, if Honda says 65, why chance damaging the transmission for a few MPH. My manual says to change the trans fluid at 30k or two years which ever comes first. I take that 30k to include odometer mileage and tow mileage.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing