RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:17 PM   #1

Unhappy Dingy Towing

I have a 2013 Four Winds Hurricane equipped with a Blue Ox towing system. I am towing a 2017 Chevy Equinox Premiere. We are following the towing instructions from the Equinox Owner Manual and the RV Blue Ox installer also confirmed we are doing it correctly but have been experiencing a problem. When we stop for gas or any other reason, the windshield wipers on the Equinox are up and the radio is on which has drained the battery. We need to jump start the Equinox in order to continue on our trip. After jump starting the car, we make sure all items (radio, fan, lights, etc.) are off. After our first trip, we took the rig and car back to the installer and were told the fuse in the electrical connection between car and rig was too small. They replaced the 10 amp with a 25 amp and told us we were good to go. We have just returned from a 2nd trip and the same thing is happening. The fuse in the electrical connector is good. Any ideas of what is going on and why things are turning on and draining the battery? Thanks, Bill.
Bill206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2019, 06:00 PM   #2

Increasing the size of a fuse has absolutely nothing to do with accessories magically turning themselves to the on position. Your car requires that you pull fuse #32. Are you doing that or if not, did the installer add a toggle switch to disable the fuse?

What if any kind of auxiliary brakes do you have in the Chevy? Are they electrical or mechanical. How did the installer wire if electrical?

These are things that we need to know to help with the problem
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:20 PM   #3

Dingy Towing

Thanks LJowdy. Yes we are removing Fuse 32. The RV dealer installed a towing/braking system in our rig which we also turn on before taking off. We are not aware of any braking system being added to the Equinox. We will inquire regarding that.
Bill206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:51 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill206 View Post
Thanks LJowdy. Yes we are removing Fuse 32. The RV dealer installed a towing/braking system in our rig which we also turn on before taking off. We are not aware of any braking system being added to the Equinox. We will inquire regarding that.
I have the same problem with my 2015 equinox. It draws 4 and 1/2 amp with everything turned off through the body control module. Finally took a set of jumper cables and put plugins on the end and ran that back for power so I have number 6 or number 8 wire powering it now the battery doesn't go dead.
I think the electric power steering is doing something while traveling and drawing more juice never checked it but that's where I suspect goes. On Mine they changed from fuse 32 to fuse 16 not sure what year ranges that is.
Old 05-09-2019, 01:59 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I believe GM changed from fuse 32 to fuse 16 on your 2017 also!

Tags
tow, towing