Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #1

Dingy Towing a 2011 Ford Escape

I am trying to get an answer regarding towing a 2011 Ford Escape. I have contacted Ford customer service 6 different times and got 6 conflicting answers. I know they have revised the 2012 Escape saying it cannot be dingy towed but there is no reports that the 2011 cannot be towed. Reading different blogs there is a common problem of transmission burn out. Any concrete answer would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Gary
fleetwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you can't tow a 2012, you can't tow a 2011. They are virtually identical. You can always tow it if it is a manual trans, but I have an 08, so I just gave up on the idea because it was an automatic. We bought a manual trans 2012 focus, no restrictions at all.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #3

Actually there is a difference and depending in the date manufactured you might still get a 2012 that can be towed. I have a 2011 and it is OK to tow. My brother bought a 2012 for towing and manual said he could but Ford later issued a statement that 2012 model cannot be towed. Dnealer is replacing his unit with a 2012 manufactured earlier and he will be able to tow it with full warranty.
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Here is Ford's Towing Guide for 2011.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:32 AM   #5

Ford Escape Dingy Towing

Yesterday I received 2 e-mails from Ford Customer Services. One said I couldn't tow the other said disregard the previous e-mail and you can tow, but should go to the Ford dealer and they would confirm if it can be towed. I did this, and they said it could be towed, but the transmission fluid had to be lowered. I did this and on the bill I had them state that this was done. I told them about the 2012 Ford Escape being excluded from the towing guide. They had absolutely no knowledge of this. I have never been so confused about something that should be black or white in my life. Even the Ford Towing guide says the 2012 Escape is towable. If there is a Ford rep or tech that does no something please respond
fleetwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:30 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Unfortunately many/most dealers don't know about towing as it rare considering all the vehicles they deal with.

What does your owners manual state?

This has been discussed before and you can search for those discussions.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:35 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
If you can't tow a 2012, you can't tow a 2011. They are virtually identical. You can always tow it if it is a manual trans, but I have an 08, so I just gave up on the idea because it was an automatic. We bought a manual trans 2012 focus, no restrictions at all.
I'm with Dave on this one. I do not believe there is a difference in the transmissions or anything else.

I do believe that Ford changed the spec due to transmission problems causing warrantee expenses. They did it effective a particular date in 2012. Changing the spec for existing vehicles has caused other manufacturers all sorts of grief, including lawsuits and vehicle swaps from owners who bought vehicles that could be towed, only to be told some time later "never mind"

The escape hybrid (with CVT and AWD) uses a totally different trans, and has always been certified for towing and never had a problem.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
I'm with Dave on this one. I do not believe there is a difference in the transmissions or anything else.

I do believe that Ford changed the spec due to transmission problems causing warrantee expenses. They did it effective a particular date in 2012. Changing the spec for existing vehicles has caused other manufacturers all sorts of grief, including lawsuits and vehicle swaps from owners who bought vehicles that could be towed, only to be told some time later "never mind"

The escape hybrid (with CVT and AWD) uses a totally different trans, and has always been certified for towing and never had a problem.

I agree. There is no difference in a 2011 vs a 2012 Escape 6F35 transmission in my opinion. Ford has been having problems with these transmissons for a while when being towed 4-down.

Ford may warrant the transmission, but you'll still be down for weeks at a time while they repair it.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, towing