Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2016, 10:10 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Dingy Towing a 2016 Suburu Forrester

We have a 2014 Phaeton QBH. Does anyone know if a 2016 Suburu Forrester 2.5i Premium with a 6 speed manuel transmission is suitable for dingy towing? The 2015 Suburu Forrester with manuel transmission was listed in the 2015 Guide to Dingy Towing put out by MotorHome Magazine as suitable for dingy towing with these special procedures listed: "Release parking brake and put the transmission in the Neutral position. The ignition switch should be in the ACC position while the vehicle is being towed." (The 2015 Forrester with an automatic transmission was listed an being unsuitable for dingy towing.) The 2016 Forrester owners manuel addresses flat towing but does not distinguish between the two transmission types and suggests the ignition switch be set in the on position?! Please help...
afrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2016, 11:44 AM   #2

A LOT of automatic transmissions cannot be towed 4-down where standard version can. If the owner's manual is vague, you need to do more research. DO NOT take a salesman's word for it because the damage done to a transmission is expensive and will void warranties.

Many toads must have the vehicle in "accessory" ignition switch position which means you are using the toad's battery and you have a limit to how long you can do this and you will have to charge the battery either via the coach-to-toad electric umbilical or at the end of the day by running the engine.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:00 AM   #3

I have a 2014 Forester and it is flat towable only with the 6 speed manual transmission. None of the Subaru automatics are tow capable since they started using the CVT transmissions. I have been towing my Forester since 2014.

Bryan S
bryans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:12 AM   #4

Owners manual clearly addresses :
Chapter 9 In Case of Emergency
pg. 16

Towing with all wheels on the ground

1) Release the parking brake and put the transmission in the 'N'/neutral position
2) The ignition switch should be in the 'ON' position wile the vehicle is being towed
3) Take up slack in towline slowly to prevent damage to the vehicle

And then in a big box under 'CAUTION'
* If transmission failure occurs, transport your vehicle on a flatbed truck
* For CVT models, the traveling speed must be limited to less than 20 mph (30 km/h) and the traveling distance to less than 31 miles (50 km). For greater speeds and distance, transport your vehicle on a flatbed truck

Appears manual transmission is OK
In neutral and ignition switch 'ON'

http://www.subaru.com/owners/vehicle...e=2016-FOR-GFE

Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:47 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Hello and thank you all for responding to my question. We have read the "Emergency" towing instructions. Just trying to get information on non emergency towing instructions. We are pulling our toad behind a 40' RV going highway speed limits and the manual does not address that. If we should dinghy tow the same way we emergency tow I would like Subaru to tell us that.
Thank you...
Old 02-19-2016, 08:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrede View Post
Hello and thank you all for responding to my question. We have read the "Emergency" towing instructions. Just trying to get information on non emergency towing instructions. We are pulling our toad behind a 40' RV going highway speed limits and the manual does not address that. If we should dinghy tow the same way we emergency tow I would like Subaru to tell us that.
Thank you...

Unfortunately, in most cases, EVEN IF the owner's manual says it's ok, the best thing to do if purchasing a new vehicle, is to have the dealership write a letter to you stating that your intention is to flat tow your vehicle per the instructions in the owner's manual and that doing so will NOT void any warranty. Have it signed by an officer of the dealership, NOT just the sales person. That way if later there are problems, and the manufacturer won't honor the warranty, than your dealership is still on the hook for the warranty.

On a side note, if they won't give you a letter, than move on, either to a different vehicle, or to a different dealership.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:25 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
2015 and 2016 Foresters are essentially the same. I have a 2016 set up to tow. I added a12 volt line direct to the battery for the RVI brake. That allows me to keep the ignition switch in the off position. Just don't remove the key so the steering doesn't lock.
slapfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:47 AM   #8

I would contact Subaru customer support to find out for sure. We used to have Subarus and they are pretty responsive and should help answer your question.

Customer Support Pages
John (USAF Reti)/Cheryl (Teacher) Boo (15 year old cat), Billie (18mos cat), Ben (18mos cat), Beau (18mos cat). '20 Tiffin 32SA (Feb 2020 arrival); Past RVs: '16 Newmar Ventana 3709, '16 Tiffin Allegro 36LA, '14 EverGreen Bayhill 295RL, '12 Voltage V3200, '09 BigHorn 3400, '06 Jayco Octane, '04 Jayco Baja
JCGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:48 AM   #9

According to the current FMCA Towing Guide, the 2016 Forester 2.5 Manual trans AWD, is flat towable with no restrictions as to speed or distance.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:05 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you all for your responses! They were all very helpful. I was able to get confirmation from Subaru USA that we are able to two our '16 Forester in the ACC position, brake off and in Neutral. Thanks again!! Happy RVing to everyone!
Amy
Old 08-15-2020, 02:48 PM   #11

Towing 2016 subaru forester

In Aug 2015, I purchased a new 2016 forester with manual trans.
I have been flat towing this vehicle behind my 40ft Holiday Rambler Scepter.
To this date I have towed it about 40000, based on RV mileage.
Have not had any issues to date. I have read the manual, and understand what it states.
I spoke to the Subaru service manager before I ordered the forester. He stated there was no difference between the 2015, and 2016 forester running gear. Therefore I feel Subaru has a different reason to remove it from towing list.

In 2017 had the steering lock removed from the column, so I could tow without key in ignition. I can now lock the doors on tow car while on the road.
This also elininates problems with run down batteries.

I live full time in RV, spend winter in Florida, or Texas, and summers anywhere north. Have covered the US at least twice
FUQUAYFLASH1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing