Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2008, 08:37 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How many have gone with diode route for wiring the toad's taillights or with the extra bulb to keep the circuit seperate.
Pros and cons?
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2008, 08:37 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How many have gone with diode route for wiring the toad's taillights or with the extra bulb to keep the circuit seperate.
Pros and cons?
Old 02-15-2008, 09:44 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I went the extra bulb route. Honda advised me against tapping into the factory wiring.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:46 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BillArf:

YES, many here will report they have diodes on their toad or past toads and had no issues. Good for them.

. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have used dodes on my last 3 toads with no problems. In fact, my new toad does not have room for a secondary light bulb (which would be my first choice also) in the tail light assembly, so I had to take the diode route. If they go bad I know exactly where to look, as I put them in.

I do not want to mess with an auxiliary light bar. Just another thing to set up before towing.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:29 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I've also used diodes on both of my toads with no problems whatsoever.

The key is to do it right, or have it done right.

I used Roadmaster Hy-Power diodes, #16 wire, and sealed all connections with silicone.

The toad lights are just as bright when powered from the MH as they are from the toad.

IMHO, diodes or an extra bulb in the tail light assembly is the way to go as it looks better, and there are no extra lights to fool with.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:32 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also agree with Pusherman. I have used diodes on my last 3 toads. I did have 1 diode failure and replaced it. I tried the magnetic light bar and scratched the trunk and I immediately switched to the diode system & I am a happy camper.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:05 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I used magnetic tow lights on the last toad as it was scratched anyway and I didn't care. It was a little dimmer than the stock ligts but it suited me well and I used to leave them stuck on the back most of the time.
The new 07 ford focus ZX3 I want to use the existing taillights as it is new and there is no metal to stick the lights to. In the taillight assemble there are three compartments, one backup, one with a red plastic reflector, and a third with the brake and turn signal bulb that has the bulb reflector. There looks like there might be enough room to get a bulb in the reflector compartment. I don't think there is enough clearance to put a second bulb in the compartment with the regular bulb.
I do have 4 diodes already from my remco lube pump kit which is why I was asking. Napa has the universal taillight sockets for 1157 etc.. bulbs and I was thinking of using them.
No problems doing it myself as I have been working on cars since I was 14. I kind of like the idea of using a seperate bulb.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:33 AM   #8

ctcamper, you can also buy a bulb kit w/wiring if you so choose. They're available here.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:22 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I will agree that on some vehicles it may not be a good idea to cut into the lighting circuits.

But for the most part, it seems that Bill and I will have to agree to disagree on this.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 01:54 PM   #10
paz

The reflectors and lenses of your tail lights are all designed to get the optimum brightness from the filament(s) of the existing bulbs. Putting an auxiliary bulb at any other location in the light assembly will result in a light that is dimmer than the original lights. For safety reasons, I want good visibility of my toad lights, especially in bright sunlight. Therefore, I went with diodes in order to use the existing bulbs for maximum brightness.

Bill raises a valid point with respect to the sensitivity of some newer vehicles to changes to the wiring. However, I have not had any problems with my Vue.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:09 PM   #11

Ctcamper --- I have a 2007 Focus with the ground appearance package. I installed the extra bulb in the tail light assembly -- there was plenty of room in mine to do the install and I got it about 4" away from the existing light bulb. I would recommend doing it that way -- was more trouble to get the tail light assembly out than it was to drill the hole and do the install. The lights are hooked into my MH via a 7 plug adapter which converts down to a normal trailer 4 plug plugin. Use a pigtail between the MH and the Focus.

I used the Roadmaster kit with the bulbs and wiring --- bought mine from CampingWorld.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:15 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had an aftermarket alarm system installed in my 1997 Camry when it was new. The power windows started to act up. Toyota disconnected the wires the alarm installer used to tap into and the power windows started working again. I took it back to the alarm installer and he reconnected the wires. The power windows again quit working. Toyota convinced me that tapping into new car wiring was not a good idea and a crap shoot at best.

The 2006 CRV has a place in the bottom part of the lens that looks like it was designed for bulb placement. Adding the bulb didn't affect the factory lights brightness.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:17 PM   #13

Appalachian Campers
I picked up a package of four diodes at Radio Shack a few years ago to use for a tow bar set up for my Jeep, they were less than $3 for the pack. They're rated at 6 amps and 50 volts peak, plenty to handle the brake light current. I used the two extra ones in the tail light circuit as an added precaution to prevent voltage from feeding back and illuminating the dash and front parking lights.

I cut into the factory wiring and soldered them in, used shrink wrap, and then taped them up real good. No problems.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:24 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You have the 3 door hatchback David? Did you put it in that compartment under the turn/brake light?

I found some led lights at pep boys for 9.99 each today. Have not purchased them yet but they might be brighter than a bulb. I figured I might be able to get them cheaper online (and buy enough to replace my other bulbs) but so far, with shipping, I can't find them cheaper.

I have the coil wire and 6 way from my old remco set up - and I had just put the lube pump control in the new motorhome, which I don't need with the new focus. I bought new wire today so I can, at least get that in tomorrow -- lowes had the wire for cheaper than walmart for a change-- and for reese no less.