Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2015, 08:51 PM   #1

Disconnecting TOAD, what am I doing WRONG?

Folks: I made my first trip using my flat towed Kia Soul. It pulled like there was nothing there. However, on arriving to the camp site, I pulled in nose first and it left the toad at an angle. Was REALLY hard to get it detached. I ended up pull the tow bar out of the receiver. It was ugly.

I just got home, the toad is at a very small angle as there is nowhere in my driveway for a perfectly straight shot. I STILL cannot get it off. The pins feel like they were welded in place they are so tight. What am I doing wrong? Does it have to be 100% perfectly straight?

I am using a Falcon All Terrain tow bar.

THANKS!!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2015, 08:56 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
You don't have to be perfectly straight, but you need to be reasonably straight or the connections will bind. Too much of an angle & it'll bind.

Also, when you stop, there's still a lot of "pull" force on those towbars, especially if you're on a slight incline. You can move your toad forward a few inches to take the pressure off the bars. But just a few inches though. That's what we've done if pin binds in the bracket.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:04 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Are you fully releasing the the pressure by pushing the release tabs all the way back? The falcon all terrain should not bind as easily. I have the black hawk all terrain, and the only difference is the weight rating from what I can tell.

2013 Newmar Dutchstar 4347, Active Air
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:07 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Are you fully releasing the the pressure by pushing the release tabs all the way back?
x2. Should've said that before I put my 2cents in. Releasing the bar tabs must be done 1st.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:16 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Have it as straight as possible. Either pull the car forward or reverse to take the pressure off.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:25 PM   #6

Here's what I do and I've yet to have problems.

When you get to your spot to disconnect, start the toad ( or have DW start the toad ) and put into reverse; to release all tension on the slide locks.
If working alone , set the toad parking brake, and shift to neutral.
Release the slide locks and hold open with a bungie cord.
If DW is driving toad , hold the slide locks open.
Move the toad forward 6" and reset the parking brake.
Remove the pins.
Much easier with the DW in the toad, but do-able alone.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:26 PM   #7

Wow, I truly, sincerely, appreciate this forum and the people who respond so quickly. There is a terrible lightning storm outside now, so I cannot try anything yet. But, I did try to lift those release handles before. One side lifted with ease, but then it goes back down, is that normal (that the handle goes back down automatically)?

On the other side though, i cannot lift it all the way up by hand. Should I try a rubber mallet?

I would say the degree of angle is less than 10 degrees from the rig. I had the same problem at the camp site, I was probably at 30 degrees though.

THANKS!!!!
Old 10-17-2015, 09:30 PM   #8

The locks are spring loaded and if in the correct position will re-lock.
The one that's hard to move is binding and could be damaged if forced, wait till you can back the toad up and it should work as easily as the other side.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
The locks are spring loaded and if in the correct position will re-lock.
The one that's hard to move is binding and could be damaged if forced, wait till you can back the toad up and it should work as easily as the other side.
Thanks, but do you mean back up the RV with the toad attached???
Old 10-17-2015, 09:34 PM   #10
Community Moderator

op you didn't specify what kind of tow bar you are using. all above answers were based on the assumption that you are using one of "all terrain" tow bars. the releasing lever should be flipped and you might need to drive up a little to make the connections loose. but if you are using one like "stowmaster" or "tracker", it would be very hard to connect and disconnect without being on a flat area and at a relative straight angle. for the very same reason, i upgraded to roadmaster falcon 2 all terrain for good.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vegas View Post
Thanks, but do you mean back up the RV with the toad attached???
NO! with the RV parked , back up the toad.Only takes a a slight movement to release the binding your feeling in the locks.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:54 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On my blue ox tow bar, rotating the steering wheel way left or way right will usually move the toad forward/backward enough to relieve pressure on the connecting pins. If this fails, I then use a bungee to hold down the lever and move the toad forward a couple three inches. One of there two methods works for me every time.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:56 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The one that won't lift all the way is the side that is binding. I have used the palm of my hand and hammered it
To get it to move back. A rubber mallet should be fine, just don't get overly aggressive. It will always go back down, but once it extends back all the way the job is done. The toad will move toward the coach a bit.

Another thing I have done is drive the toad forward putting forward pressure on the Rv. This helps with releasing the binding. Just be sure to apply the e-brake on toad before releasing tabs.

2013 Newmar Dutchstar 4347, Active Air
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
op you didn't specify what kind of tow bar you are using. all above answers were based on the assumption that you are using one of "all terrain" tow bars. the releasing lever should be flipped and you might need to drive up a little to make the connections loose. but if you are using one like "stowmaster" or "tracker", it would be very hard to connect and disconnect without being on a flat area and at a relative straight angle. for the very same reason, i upgraded to roadmaster falcon 2 all terrain for good.
OP, stated... Falcon All Terrain tow bar
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad