Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2020, 04:53 PM   #1

Do I need a Toad Charge Kit?

Not sure where to post this so, Mods move it if it needs to be.

Okie Dokie. I bought a 2020 Jeep Wrangler to tow behind my MH. I have 12V power at my 7-pin on the rear of the MH. It is switched power meaning the circuit is dead when the MH is shut off.
Do I need a charger? Or can I just run a charge line to the battery of my Toad?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2020, 05:03 PM   #2

do you need to leave the ignition key ‘on’ while towing it? what does your owner’s manul say about ‘recreational towing’?
Old 11-11-2020, 05:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
do you need to leave the ignition key ‘on’ while towing it? what does your owner’s manul say about ‘recreational towing’?

What’s an ignition key? They are almost obsolete now. I would install charge line.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
What’s an ignition key? They are almost obsolete now. I would install charge line.
so Jeep went to the dark side, too, eh? if nothing needs to be on while towing then no need for a charge line.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:38 PM   #5

No key. Push button start.
I've been researching this to death and can't seem to come up with a concrete answer.

It looks like a fused charge wire would do the trick to me.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down South View Post
No key. Push button start.
I've been researching this to death and can't seem to come up with a concrete answer.

It looks like a fused charge wire would do the trick to me.
well, it won't hurt. what does your Jeep's owner's manual say in the Recreational Towing section?
Old 11-11-2020, 05:56 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
You do not need a charge line since the ignition is off. The 12volt line in my harness is used to switch light control from Jeep to RV while towing.

Later ...
Ray
RayandWendy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayandWendy View Post
You do not need a charge line since the ignition is off. The 12volt line in my harness is used to switch light control from Jeep to RV while towing.

Later ...
Ray
I'm using the Stay-IN-Play DUO Supplemental Braking System and it runs off the toad battery. How much juice it will draw is in question. Brake and tail lights will have power supplied from the MH.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:05 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
If desired you can run a charge line to the battery but it will need to have an inline fuse. The "battery chargers" for these charge lines are really only diodes that prevent the motorhome from drawing the toad battery down when parked. I do not see the need personally. Running a charge line only takes a few minutes and there is no reason not to do it.
Spdracr39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down South View Post
I'm using the Stay-IN-Play DUO Supplemental Braking System and it runs off the toad battery. How much juice it will draw is in question. Brake and tail lights will have power supplied from the MH.
Wouldn't that depend on how much braking you do?

6 hours straight on the interstate uses much less power than 2 hours in stop-n-go traffic.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdracr39 View Post
If desired you can run a charge line to the battery but it will need to have an inline fuse. The "battery chargers" for these charge lines are really only diodes that prevent the motorhome from drawing the toad battery down when parked. I do not see the need personally. Running a charge line only takes a few minutes and there is no reason not to do it.
That's my thinking. The charge wire from the MH to the 7 pole connector on the rear of the MH is on a relay or switched when the MH is shut down.
I believe that I can run a #12 wire from the center pole of the 6 pole plug that hooks to the toad straight to the battery without buying some type of charger.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:25 PM   #12

I have the 12 volt and the ground wire in the 7 prong to the battery in my tow vehicle with fuses. It keeps the car battery charged. Works great.
Ramrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:12 PM   #13

You can do that but I would install a small circuit breaker in that line.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:05 AM   #14

Down South-

A summary of many of the prior threads on iRV2:

1) A Toad Charge or similar device is not necessary.

2) A wire from the toad connector to the battery should have a fuse or circuit breaker in it, as close to the battery as is practical.

3) One fellow who installed a self-resetting circuit breaker at the toad end of the charge line had a car fire that destroyed the front end of the toad. A fuse or non-self-resetting circuit breaker should have prevented the fire.

4) On rare occasion, a diode is needed in the charge line. It prevents the toad from sending 12V to the coach. If you find you need one, you can install one.

My toad has a Duo. I installed it, along with a Toad Charge. At the time, I did not know point 1) above. Later, I found that my coach was one of the rare birds that needed a diode, point 4) above. It happens that the Toad Charge provides the diode function, so I had the answer before the question was asked- sorta like Carnac the Magnificent.

Either the charge line works well, or the Duo draws less current than one might think, because my toad's tiny 340CCA "motorcycle" battery has never been dead after more than 20,000 miles of towing.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad