Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #1

Do i need brakes for my toad

NEED SOME ADVISE HERE FROM SOME VETERAN RVrs

PLAN ON TOWING A F150 BEHIND A EMBARK(SUPER C)

WEIGHT OF MH IS OVER 33K, DO I NEED BRAKING SYSTOM ON THE F150
Card3550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would not tow anything without auxiliary brakes. Some will disagree.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I would not tow anything without auxiliary brakes. Some will disagree.
Ditto.

Even though you've got a very stout rig there, IMO toad brakes are necessary.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Why take a chance without braking it is cheap insurance you wouldn't drive a car without them so why tow without them . Just my 2cents
mavric65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
YES
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Card3550 View Post
NEED SOME ADVISE HERE FROM SOME VETERAN RVrs

PLAN ON TOWING A F150 BEHIND A EMBARK(SUPER C)

WEIGHT OF MH IS OVER 33K, DO I NEED BRAKING SYSTOM ON THE F150
So far my Brake Buddy has cost me four flat spotted tires and a set of fried front brakes ($700). Will never use toad aux brakes again.
F117plt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Some states require them. Another reason is if you were involved in a accident that would be one of the first things the lawyers would look at.
TN Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #8

I like the feeling of braking on my toad, especially in town . Going downhills and when people pull out in front of you are 2 other good reasons . The systems being sold now make it easy too !
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let me join the chorus.. YES.

Now.. why.. Even with a very heavy motor home and a very light car.

Many times I have heard yammer about how much longer it takes to stop "A big rig" but I have put the question to police accident investigators.

Once the brakes lock, the formula for figuring out how fast the car or truck or motor home or _____ was going based upon skid marks DOES NOT INCLUDE the size of the vehicle.

As it happens. when all wheels are braking I know way. The formula boiles down the the following after simplification

(Speed^2)/Coefficient of friction Times Constant)

This is for everything from a YUGO to a Steel hauler at 160,000 pounds.

But.. If you have only SOME of the wheels breaking.

The formula is much, much, much, more complex.. And just as it will take longer to figure it out.. IT will take longer to stop the skid.

What braking systems are best:

I'm looking at the Blue-OX "Auto Stop" this competes with the Ready Brake (I use blue-ox tow bars)

US-Gear Unified brake decelerator is (on paper at lest) the best, gives full control over the towed brakes from the motor home driver seat, You can set, adjust or disable from the motor home cockpit. That said... I had issues with the one I had.

Invisible Brake,,, Very good theory but I've read of issues.

NOTE: Bad install is the major issue with ALL systems.

Note: both the electrical systems above provide for charging the towed battery (The first two are surge brake systems, they eat no electricity and thus do not provide)

M&G, (if it fits) is 100% transparent to the car driver
Air-Force one.. Another good air/hydraulic system

Box in the driver's seat, (Brake Buddy, Even Brake, Et-Al) I disapprove of because though the ad says "NO INSTALLATION NEEDED" fact is you install them EVERY time you tow, and then you have to un-install them and stow them

Way too easy to mess up an install, and I've had people admit they just say "The heck with it" on a short trip.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:26 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Bill View Post
Some states require them. Another reason is if you were involved in a accident that would be one of the first things the lawyers would look at.
I agree, most states require aux. brakes. Do NOT travel without them!!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by F117plt View Post
So far my Brake Buddy has cost me four flat spotted tires and a set of fried front brakes ($700). Will never use toad aux brakes again.
Maybe it is a Brake Buddy problem and not a issue with all auxiliary braking systems? I had a problem with my EvenBrake "brake in a box" system and I replaced it with a SMI Stay-in-Play and haven't had a single problem since.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Whether the state laws do or do not require aux brakes on towed loads, the laws of physics far out rank the state laws. Also, check you chassis manufacturers limits for unbraked towed loads. Also the motorhome cannot distinguish between a towed vehicle or a towed trailer loaded with rocks.

Simply put, it takes more braking force and more surface contact for more tires to stop more weight. If the aux brakes make the difference in stopping 6" sooner, that 6" could be the difference between stopping safely or 6" into the vehicle in front of you.

Looking at what you have spent on the RV and the truck, setting it up properly and safely, additional cost should not be a concern.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Here is a link to the definitive discussion on supplemental
braking systems. Read this, and you will know everything.

Supplemental Braking: The Moment Of Truth
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F117plt

Having read your other threads - A/C water drip, convection / micro coding, H20 heater drip, etc issues - and this, you have sure had a run of bad luck. I hope it turns around for you soon. Can be frustrating, especially with a new coach. Good luck! And on topic - I still suggest aux breaks on toad. Something had to have either been installed incorrectly or failed. That is a pretty common system with many on the road. Again Good Luck.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes, toad