Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2019, 06:17 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Do I tell my toad insurance company about towing apparatus?

Have been wondering ... should I inform the insurance carrier for my toad that I have about $4,000 worth of additional apparatus installed? If I had a total loss, would hate to just get standard value as a settlement with no consideration for the toad equipment.

Tried a simple search to learn if this has come up before, no luck.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2019, 06:45 PM   #2

Yes.
RiverBurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 06:55 PM   #3

$4k worth of equipment? How did you manage that?
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:37 PM   #4

In our case all we had to do is mention that we tow the vehicle behind our motorhome. In 2014 the Jeep we were towing was rear ended on an express way by a kid texting and driving. He hit the Jeep hard enough to do over $10,000.00 damage and destroy the tow bar, base plates, and stinger for the trailer hitch.

Fortunately there were no injuries and no damage to the motorhome. When we called the insurance company they advised us where to take it for repair. They also asked the replacement cost for new towing equipment. We sent them the information and they promptly paid the bill, no questions asked.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:26 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
$4k worth of equipment? How did you manage that?
Hmmm, might be low!

InvisiBrake - $1,000
Sterling Tow Bar - $1,150
Base Plate - $450
Guardian Rock Shield - $450
Various Cables/Locks - $300
Remco Transmission Pump - $1,000
Professional Install - $1,200
——————————————-
Total —- $5,550

Then there was the post-install task of getting our Ford Escape to quit blinking it’s turn signals amazingly fast ... that was a $400 searching and diode wiring troubleshooting experimental extravaganza.

So maybe $6,000 is a more realistic value.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:53 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I had the ins co put an extra amount on both vehicles to cover the equipment at risk. It will pay the set amount over and above the vehicle value. It is a set agreed upon indemnity amount. Any ins co should be quite willing to do it for you for extra $$ of course.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:17 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
In our case all we had to do is mention that we tow the vehicle behind our motorhome. In 2014 the Jeep we were towing was rear ended on an express way by a kid texting and driving. He hit the Jeep hard enough to do over $10,000.00 damage and destroy the tow bar, base plates, and stinger for the trailer hitch.

Fortunately there were no injuries and no damage to the motorhome. When we called the insurance company they advised us where to take it for repair. They also asked the replacement cost for new towing equipment. We sent them the information and they promptly paid the bill, no questions asked.
My toad got hit and totaled. Not while being towed, but while being driven. It was the other driver's fault and his insurance company was unwilling to cover anything but the actual car value. They seemed to not have any understanding of what the tow equipment was. I had to drag out getting a settlement for several months, but they finally added the full cost of the baseplate and wiring.

Regards.

Chuck
Old 07-31-2019, 11:34 AM   #8

Wow- interesting to see the replies. I am FT so limited choices in insurance, but I had been told tough luck on the extra equipment on the road. Before I went FT I had asked the previous ins about it also and been told No just the car value was covered. I need to see if I can lean harder.
cats_aplenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:20 AM   #9

Ours has a limit of 5k for “extras”. Checked all the policies specifically when I had a Harley with one of the custom paint sets.

Check with your insurance agent as there may be a standard amount already on the policy.
Gumpster808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:13 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Most policies consider anything bolted onto the car after it left the factory to be "personal property" rather than part of the vehicle. Policies typically have some fixed max dollar amount for that, but you can usually increase it.

When we had an accident while towing, the tow bar was covered as "personal property" under the motorhome insurance. You have a LOT of personal property when traveling in a motorhome, so make sure the amount of coverage is adequate, Often the default amount is around $2000, but you probably have much, much more than that in and on the coach.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 04:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post

Fortunately there were no injuries and no damage to the motorhome. When we called the insurance company they advisedred us where to take it for repair. They also asked the replacement cost for new towing equipment. We sent them the information and they promptly paid the bill, no questions asked.
Wow. That was great. Who were you insured with? I bet they went after the other parties insurance for reimbursement.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:16 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

In this case, the towing equipment gets covered by the other guys liability insurance. I suspect that's why your insurer asked - they will demand compensation from the other guy's insurer for all of your loss, regardless of what your own policy covers.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:21 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
After reviewing the replies here (thanks all) and talking with my insurance folks, I added a $5k rider onto our car policy. Pretty inexpensive, less than a couple of lattes per month.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:25 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
In this case, the towing equipment gets covered by the other guys liability insurance. I suspect that's why your insurer asked - they will demand compensation from the other guy's insurer for all of your loss, regardless of what your own policy covers.
This makes the assumption that the offending party is insured. When our Jeep was hit from behind while being towed, we found out the hard way the driver had let his insurance lapse.

We were covered under the uninsured motorist clause in our insurance policy. The offending driver had no intention of paying up. In fact he lost his drivers license and tried to declare bankruptcy to avoid payment. The only reason he did finally pay up was the fact that he applied for a new job. That job required a valid license. He had to pay the $10,000.00+ judgment against him to get his drivers license reinstated. It took nearly 5 years for the case to be settled.

Tags
insurance, toad, tow, towing