Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:57 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
I leave the toad connected. However we use a Blue Ox Kargard (shield to protect front of toad). When I air level up in the back the vertical bars sometimes tip backwards and touch the grill on the F150 - I am just mindful of that.....

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2017, 05:08 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
I leave my Equinox attached when doing an overnight stop in a pull-thru site. I make sure to put have it in neutral before leveling or unleveling.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:35 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Unless II have a situation that would put the tow bar at a very high angle, i.e. the MH a couple ft above or below the toad I don't disconnect.

As always. before getting underway the following morning, I always do a full preflight of the toad, bar, tires, lights, etc.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:21 AM   #18
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
We just returned from four days in a row on the road. We stayed in pull through sites the entire trip and never unhooked the Jeep. It's not necessary unless you need to use the toad for some reason and like others said the tow bar angle would be extreme.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:59 AM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Mike! No, on occasions when we are stopping for the night we don't disconnect the toad before leveling.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:10 AM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I don't disconnect for just a overnight at Wallyworld unless the late DW wanted to go somewhere for dinner. Before getting underway though I always do a walk around and light check. Did find a cart between the mh and towed once.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:18 PM   #21

Left Seattle 21 days ago and arrived in Jacksonville Florida this afternoon. Always stays hooked up unless we need it. 3 years with both Roadmaster and Blu Ox and never a problem. Always recheck everything before leaving in the morning.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:31 PM   #22

Not a dumb question at all. I never disconnect the towed Wrangler when I stop for the night and level, mostly because I never thought about it binding. It would seem to me that unless your on some really uneven ground the. It wouldn’t really be any different than going over bumps in the road or pulling through a driveway approach. Other thoughts out there?

Russ
1990 Country Coach Concept 36' Antares
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:40 AM   #23

Wow, thanks everyone! Like someone said, probably get worse angles entering gas stations, etc. Thinking I probably unhooked and reconnected at least a few dozen times over the last two years when I could have saved that time. We're getting ready for our long trip to the southwest and for those long drive days, I'm definitely going to look for pull throughs and save myself some time and hassle. Thanks again!
Old 10-06-2017, 09:45 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.warden View Post
Only time we unhook toad is if we’re going to use it. And the unhook is always after leveling the MH. So based on this, we never unhook toad when leveling.
Don't unhook to level for one night BUT I never unhook or load with the leveling jacks down. I don't think the forces on the motor home jacks from the unloading or especially the loading are good for them. I always load or unload with jacks up. I should clarify this by telling you that I use a tow dolly. I imagine that 4 down hook up would create less force on the jacks.
mdvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:42 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvs View Post
Don't unhook to level for one night BUT I never unhook or load with the leveling jacks down. I don't think the forces on the motor home jacks from the unloading or especially the loading are good for them. I always load or unload with jacks up. I should clarify this by telling you that I use a tow dolly. I imagine that 4 down hook up would create less force on the jacks.

We do 4-down. If I were using the tow dolly, I might have to agree about the concerns of jerking the jacks around while loading/unloading. I’d probably follow your strategy.
les.warden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:11 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvs View Post
On my toad, it wouldn't matter whether levelling while hooked up or unhooking with levelling jack's down. How can it?
Single point at the RV and full up/down at the 2 RV connections.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:22 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
On my toad, it wouldn't matter whether levelling while hooked up or unhooking with levelling jack's down. How can it?
Single point at the RV and full up/down at the 2 RV connections.
I think you meant full up and down at the 2 "toad" connections, not RV connections and, that's a very sensible answer. But, some can't see it and make more out of it than it is. The coach and toad pivot way more than most realize so, leveling with the toad connected is the same as when towing it.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:24 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
I think you meant full up and down at the 2 "toad" connections, not RV connections and, that's a very sensible answer. But, some can't see it and make more out of it than it is. The coach and toad pivot way more than most realize so, leveling with the toad connected is the same as when towing it.
Scott
Thanks for the correction. Yes, I meant at the toad.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, toad