Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:58 PM   #1

Do you disconnect toad when leveling MH?

Might be a dumb question. I've always disconnected my Jeep before we level our Class A motorhome. Worried that something will catch or bind. Of course it would certainly save some time on nights when we're just parking in a quick pull through. Any negative experiences staying hooked up? Using a Ready Brute Elite towbar and surge brake system.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2017, 02:01 PM   #2

I've left our Jeep attached several times on overnight stops. No issues.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:04 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
We've never leveled our coach with the toad attached. Even when Wally-docking or in a rest area. I guess we've been lucky enough to get spots level enough we don't have to. Plus, for in a WM or rest area, I don't feel it's appropriate to extend jacks. But that's just my opinion.

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:04 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We too have left the toad on overnight and leveled with no issues. While driving we encounter far more extreme ups, downs and twists than we would leveling the coach.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:06 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In a pull thru for the nite and enough room, I leave our CRV connected if we aren't going to use it.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:11 PM   #6

Leave the Equinox hooked up when traveling for one night pull through sites.
Have not had a problem ever.
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD1 View Post
Might be a dumb question. I've always disconnected my Jeep before we level our Class A motorhome. Worried that something will catch or bind. Of course it would certainly save some time on nights when we're just parking in a quick pull through. Any negative experiences staying hooked up? Using a Ready Brute Elite towbar and surge brake system.
MikeD1,
You're gonna be fine with the toad connected while leveling. I mean, think about it. Unless your coach was in some seriously UNLEVEL situation prior to leveling, the amount of angle between the attachment point of the tow bar on the coach, and the attachment point(s) on the Jeep, would handle any angle you dare to put it through. Another way of looking at it is, when you enter or exit many fuel stops, gas stations, whatever, your Jeep and motor home are experiencing sometimes, some severe angularity and you don't even know it.

Your Jeep is in neutral when towing it so, when you park your coach and level it, and the coach begins to rise some, your Jeep will follow it, no matter how far you have to travel in height. That jeep will follow until that tow bar practically up to a 90 degree angle, perpendicular to the front bumper, just about. I doubt you'd need that much to level.

It is of course, up to you to disconnect if you like. But, if it's a one-night stop, and you plan on booking in the A.M., and you don't plan on using the Jeep after you've parked in your camp spot, then there's no real reason to disconnect. If your Jeep or tow bar would bind in such small angles when leveling, it would surely not handle the angularity of towing angles and variations. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:24 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
If we are not going to use it, it stays attached.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:53 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If I'm just overnight parking I rarely put the levelers down.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:56 PM   #10

what could possibly 'bind' that wouldn't already 'bind' while you're towing it?
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:59 PM   #11

I don't disconnect but I do release the tow bar and partially collapse the arm. That leaves some slack so toad doesn't put any forces on the MH.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:17 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
We always leave it attached when not needed.
We always check the the hitch before moving no matter how long we have parked, if it was a half hr. or overnight just to make sure everything is ok.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:24 PM   #13

I leave ours attached but normally air level for quick over nights. Shucks even when staying someplace for a bit I level before unhooking. Our coach wants motor running and level before slide operation.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:58 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Only time we unhook toad is if weíre going to use it. And the unhook is always after leveling the MH. So based on this, we never unhook toad when leveling.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, toad