Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2021, 07:00 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
A few years back, I had an extra padlock that just happened to fit my tow bar, so why not?
A few weeks later, in the Great Smokey Mountains, I looked into the rear view camera to see my toad weaving back and forth on one arm behind the rig. Panic, needless to say!
All I can figure is, we had hit one of those bad dips at highway speeds a few miles back. It had sheared the padlock. The factory pin in the other one had held up well.
No more padlocks for me.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2021, 07:57 PM   #30

Locks in all connection points.
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:16 PM   #31

Only lock the tow bar to the MH.
Once it’s on the MH, no need to remove.
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:23 PM   #32

I lock my tow bar to the motor home receiver. I don't lock my tow bar to my toad.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:42 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
A few years back, I had an extra padlock that just happened to fit my tow bar, so why not?
A few weeks later, in the Great Smokey Mountains, I looked into the rear view camera to see my toad weaving back and forth on one arm behind the rig. Panic, needless to say!
All I can figure is, we had hit one of those bad dips at highway speeds a few miles back. It had sheared the padlock. The factory pin in the other one had held up well.
No more padlocks for me.
Similar thing just happened to me last July. Left the campground outside of Americus, GA, everything was good. Bought diesel at a truck stop in Americus. DW went into McDonalds to get lunch, I remained with the rig. We went west through Plains, no problems. Always keeping an eye on the rear camera on the toad. Somewhere between Plains and Richland, I see the toad weaving back and forth behind the coach. This was a two lane highway with no shoulders to pull over. Got to a little store coming into town with a gravel parking lot. One clevis pin had disappeared and the pin holding the towbar to the toad was also gone. A guy following, stopped to help. Went an bought some bolts and nuts for a temporary fix. (We weren’t planning to use the toad for the rest of the trip). I ordered these when I got home. All locks keyed the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3B8F8C7E-6A3A-425C-A370-0A581E771671.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	320364  
Old 03-07-2021, 09:26 AM   #34

Locked. Pulling a Jeep TJ LJ rubicon. The key is in the ignition for towing. If a fire happens and I can’t get it disconnected, oh well. My concern with a fire is our safety not the vehicles.
Josephls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:39 AM   #35
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Locked to the hitch and pins on the tow bar to the car. Spare set of pins in a basement compartment.

Ray
My setup as well. All locks keyed alike.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:48 AM   #36

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasFoodGuy View Post
When was the last time you heard of a stolen tow bar?
Have had "Kids" steal the lynch pin keepers while at a shopping mall... only took once.
Now have keyed alike locks on everything..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:12 AM   #37
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I keep mined locked on all three points.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:23 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasFoodGuy View Post
When was the last time you heard of a stolen tow bar?
Not so sure most are worried about the tow bar being stolen. First, I don’t trust linch pins. It doesn’t have to get hit hard to be pushed out of place. Secondly; So when was the last time you heard of a car being stolen? Happens daily all across the country. Many toads need the keys in the ignition for the steering to be unlocked. Insurance companies have an odd sense of humor about your car being stolen when you offer up the keys. And lastly my rig had Spring loaded linch pins on the Clevis pins connecting my tow bar to the jeep. Somehow after being checked on several stops something caught the spring loaded ring flipping it and falling out . My Clevis pin did not come all the way out so I got lucky.

Mine is locked, all three points. If there’s a fire and I can save anything that’s great, if I only save the important things ,our lives, I’m grateful.

But in the end it’s all about personal choice and risk management. Choose your poison so to speak.
Josephls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 08:47 AM   #39

Locked, Pad locks on tow bar connections to toad and Padlock on pin to MH hitch receiver. all keyed in the same. In an emergency I can unlock Hitch receiver and Pull toad away from MH let the Tow bar drag to get it away from MH in case of a Fire. But I am with Josephls Humans and pets safe first the rest is replaceable.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:51 AM   #40

There are those that will pull a pin just to mess with you. Locked!
sanjboltfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:23 AM   #41

We have had the tow bar locking pins flip to the unlocked position going over rough roads and were fortunate enough that we stopped for fuel and noticed the problem before we had a major problem. We went to locks for all connection points to the tow bar and have had no issues since. We also have read on this site that several motorhome owner's have had accidents where someone removed or unlocked one of their locking pins for whatever nefarious reason that only someone that does not possess an ounce of empathy can only imagine.
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 01:47 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do you want padlocks on your towbar if your car or MH are on fire? Honey did you get the keys?

Tags
tow