Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2015, 05:49 PM   #1

Do you need brakes on a Master Tow Dolly?

I am looking at a Master Tow Tow Dolly, and I just wonder if you need brakes on the dolly if you are only pulling a VW Jetta? Isnt the 34 ft RV big and strong enough to do all the braking?

Thank You,
Teresa
tluehrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2015, 06:10 PM   #2

Legally, it depends on where you are driving, however I recommend having brakes for safety even though it "may" not be illegal where you plan to drive. Most (many perhaps) jurisdictions it is the law based on weight or stopping distances. Just not a good idea not to have working Toad/Dolly brakes with loads exceeding 3000lbs,
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:29 PM   #3

Teresa you posted this twice. My quick answer is yes. Perhaps not legally in some jurisdictions but yes to most and for safety - yes indeed. That package will exceed 3000lbs. (Dolly + curb wt of ~2850lbs for a Jeta). Strongly recommend you have brakes.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:32 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
Legally, it depends on where you are driving, however I recommend having brakes for safety even though it "may" not be illegal where you plan to drive. Most (many perhaps) jurisdictions it is the law based on weight or stopping distances. Just not a good idea not to have working Toad/Dolly brakes with loads exceeding 3000lbs,
X2 Etrailer has an article on what is needed to put brakes on a tow dolly. Here is the linkWhat is Needed To Install Electric Brakes On A Master Tow Dolly That Doesnt Have Brakes | etrailer.com
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 06:38 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Yes, you sure do. ( in my humble opinion)

Since you are pulling a car, YES, you need brakes. Master Tow makes a surge brake unit that works great. (no need for the electric brake type, if that is your concern)
Sure, you might get by without brakes, but that is NOT good safety sense. Ask yourself why you would take a chance. Please be smart and be safe. What if you had to make a quick stop while going down a hill?
How much money will you save by not getting a dolly without brakes? Is it worth it?

Some states say that if you are pulling more than 1,000 lbs., you must have brakes.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:37 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Since the law depends on what state you're in and you have to be legal in that state then the answer is yes, you need brakes unless you're going to detour around those states! Besides I want to be as safe as possible.
There was a fatal wreck where a man and his wife were trying to make an emergency stop. At the last instant the driver cut the wheel left but not soon enough and his wife was killed. An analysis afterwards showed that if the towed had had brakes he would have stopped about 1½' short to the truck ahead.
Cost of a brakes system is worth it to me.
We're about to buy a used CC Magne, has disk brakes all around and I wouldn't be over the GVWR even, but I'll still keep the BrakeMaster unit and use it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:04 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

I to have a Mastertow Dolly that has elect.brakes and I wouldn't want to tow without brakes.JMHO.Be safe and Happy travels.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:56 AM   #8

The Acme EZE TOW Tow Dolly

Brakes are always a good idea. Acme has the most powerful Hydraulic Disc Brake tow dolly in the world. Reliable, trouble free, powerful , precise and sensitive. 5 to 10 year warranty.
Car Tow Dolly -The Lightest and Toughest Tow Dolly For All Car Towing Needs - Acme Car Tow Dolly Company
EZE Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaw.1 View Post
I to have a Mastertow Dolly that has elect.brakes and I wouldn't want to tow without brakes.JMHO.Be safe and Happy travels.

I have the ACME with surge brakes and agree wholeheartedly. The brakes work hard on the dolly and I can't imagine not having them nor would I tow a dolly without them.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:35 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Isnt the 34 ft RV big and strong enough to do all the braking?
If you look/read in the manual for that RV. You will find the manufacture recommends that anything towed usually over 1,000 lb should have brakes.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:37 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Brakes on the dolly are needed if you are planning on putting a vehicle on it. Not sure what chassis you have on your motorhome, but most times you will find you are running close to the maximum weight rating of the chassis. This is what the chassis manufacture builds the braking system for. The gross rating while towing is based on auxiliary braking systems being used.

On our chassis it is rated 18,000 lbs. and when weighted it is just over 17,000 lbs. Add on the dolly and the car at approximately 4,000 lbs. and that places us at 21,000 lbs. Below the maximum rating of 23,000 lbs put over the 18,000 lbs. Start coming down long grades or quick stops you will want the extra set of brakes. The brakes on the dolly are far cheaper than new brakes on the coach.
rgmiller32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:16 PM   #12

I went ahead and bought the T77 with Surge breaks, Thanks for the great advice!
tluehrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:18 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluehrs View Post
I am looking at a Master Tow Tow Dolly, and I just wonder if you need brakes on the dolly if you are only pulling a VW Jetta? Isnt the 34 ft RV big and strong enough to do all the braking?

Thank You,
Teresa
I have a tow dolly with brakes, my thought was , you can't have to many brakes
ARFFMAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, brakes, dolly, tow, tow dolly