Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-24-2020, 11:13 AM   #1

Does anyone drop the DP toad as soon as they leave the Highway?

It seems like it might be more practical to just pull over and drop the toad and drive separately upon leaving the highway rather than trying maneuver through towns and campgrounds towing a vehicle.

Does anyone do this? Is there a reason it is practical or impractical? Maybe it is not worth the effort.
Coldjensens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2020, 11:19 AM   #2

We leave the toad hooked up unless we are going into a campground and don't have a pull through for the night. Don't see any reason for unhooking driving thru a city. Skip
Old 02-24-2020, 11:19 AM   #3

In my case it wouldn't be worth the effort. Also I travel solo fairly often so it wouldn't work at all.
johninsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:23 AM   #4

I will unhook early only if I don't have a pull-through site. Usually at the CG office, not in front of the site blocking traffic.

Never just to drive through a town.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:23 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It seems like it might be more practical to just pull over and drop the toad and drive separately upon leaving the highway rather than trying maneuver through towns and campgrounds towing a vehicle.

Does anyone do this? Is there a reason it is practical or impractical? Maybe it is not worth the effort.
It sounds as though you may not have pulled a toad before.. You really will not even notice its back there, although you will need to be conscious of how long your total rig length is when you pull through an intersection or pull off for some reason. Your toad will track fine.

I've never unhooked except in circumstances where I know I'll need to back up, and I can only recall a couple of instances where I had to do a frantic "emergency" unhook. Fortunately I can do that in about 3 minutes.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadger View Post
It sounds as though you may not have pulled a toad before.. You really will not even notice its back there, although you will need to be conscious of how long your total rig length is when you pull through an intersection or pull off for some reason. Your toad will track fine.

I've never unhooked except in circumstances where I know I'll need to back up, and I can only recall a couple of instances where I had to do a frantic "emergency" unhook. Fortunately I can do that in about 3 minutes.
X2.......what he said up there ^
kenandterry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:00 PM   #7

I am solo and donít unhook until I am ready to back into my space.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:05 PM   #8

Depending on what toad you have, and the overhang on the rear of your rv, the toad more or less tracks behind the rv. If you take a sharp 90 degree turn, you might want to watch your mirrors to make sure the toad isn't going to jump the curb. I use a dolly, and the dolly is as wide as the rv is. If you flat tow, the toad will be much slimmer, and track better than if you have a dolly. No need to unhook unless you are backing into a campsite, or need the toad. You just have to get used to it, and watch your mirrors when turning. That being said, Im the kind of guy who goes through the drive through pulling a 20 foot trailer behind my pickup. Its just a matter of getting used to towing things.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:09 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
If we are going to an unfamiliar campground and will be needing to use the toad then I usually stop at a large parking lot and disconnect the toad. Most campgrounds have adequate space to disconnect, but you never know!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:36 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
We generally leave the toad hooked up unless we know we'll need to use it during a stop or if we need to disconnect it to get into our overnight spot, i.e. no pull through available.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:47 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Leave it connected, it goes where it's TOAD!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
Leave it connected, it goes where it's TOAD!
Only if it wheely listens.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

If the bus will go there...the toad will follow. The only reason to disconnect is you're really really unsure of what you're getting yourself into. And, if that's the case I would be walking it out first. You can't back it out with a towed vehicle behind you. So, nothing wrong with getting out and having a look. I'm solo and tow. But, I'll tell you this...I'm not afraid to park BOTH and have a look at what's ahead of me.

As far as driving through a town, just drive it. Just pay attention to what you're getting yourself into.

Jim58

Tags
toad