Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2015, 07:34 AM   #1

Dolly issue

Having problems getting full tire coverage with my Acme Tow Dolly. Hopefully pictures attached. Acme is responding very nicely but we don't have a solution yet. Is this normal and is the coverage adequate. I have spent hours making sure they are even, but they still appear too short. Tire size 235/45R18 about 8 1/2 inches wide. Any suggestions appreciated.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1423060465.465121.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	85142
KAMPURR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2015, 07:53 AM   #2

What does it look like when tight. The strap does not go over the whole wheel maybe the top quarter. It looks like yours will cover enough of the tire when tight.

If this is your first time using a dolly maybe some one with the same system will chime in. I used one for 4 years and had nothing but problems.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcurt23 View Post
I used one for 4 years and had nothing but problems.

As a person that just bought a tow dolly, I'd like to hear about the types of problems you encountered. Forewarned is forearmed?
Old 02-04-2015, 08:04 AM   #4

I never really tightened it as it appeared to have such little coverage. Could be a valid point. Maybe it will stretch some to get at least half coverage
KAMPURR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:36 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It looks like you have plenty of room to tighten down. Is it possible to put the car on the dolly, tighten down the strap and take another picture?
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:01 PM   #6

Did you specify 18" wheels when you ordered? I know I had to when I ordered my ACME and they fit very well. They have two strap sizes and if you don't have the straps for 18" wheels that may be the issue.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcurt23 View Post
What does it look like when tight. The strap does not go over the whole wheel maybe the top quarter. It looks like yours will cover enough of the tire when tight.

If this is your first time using a dolly maybe some one with the same system will chime in. I used one for 4 years and had nothing but problems.
Pcurt, we too are considering this dolly, what kind of problems did you have, was it a safety issue/damage to the Toad ect. Is it worth it just to spend a couple thousand more and get the bigger one that actually has a turning mechanism on the dolly(another brand just can't think of the name right now)...Thanks for any insight.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:11 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Vettenuts is right on the money.It looks like you have the shorter straps.I have a Tandem tow dolly I use for the trike motorcycle and the toad and then I have a Mastertow Tow dolly I use when we don't take the trike and I have never had any problems.You can tighten the straps really tight.Good Luck.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:45 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For all new dollies the straps provided will work on 13 and 20 inch tires. The link below is from the FAQ section of the website.

http://cartowdolly.com/faqs/will-the...on-my-vehicle/

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 05:54 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your tires will be braced against the front wall of the dolly pan frame. The webbing cross straps will be at top and upper rear of the tires. I don't think you have a problem so long as you have enough overall length to get 3 or 4 turns on the winch spindle. And it looks like you have plenty.

Call Richard at Acme if you are still concerned.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:36 AM   #11

The Acme EZE TOW Tow DOlly

Mike and Cha, I do not think Pcurt is indicating that his problems were with the Acme EZE TOW Tow Dolly. I believe he is indicating he had problems with "a" dolly. I too was wondering what dolly he was discussing. Hopefully he will clarify that point for everyones benefit.
Yes, I agree, once the wheel straps are properly applied and tightened they should be fine. We have dozens of people towing that car trouble free with the same straps.
EZE Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:38 AM   #12

Hey Pcurt, please specify, are you stating that you had nothing but trouble with the the Acme EZE TOW dolly ? Mike and Cha are under that impression. Please clarify, thanks.
EZE Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:14 AM   #13

The problems were probably my fault but and not this specific brand

1. Straps were constantly loosening on the road, even after multiple stops to retighten.
2. Strap came off at least twice after very bumpy roads.
3. Drove the car off the wrong end of the dolly requiring a tow truck to get the car off.
4. The front of the car was too low so I had to make custom ramps to avoid hitting the front of the car when loading.
5. I was always a sweaty mess after loading the car because of all the physical labor involved.
6. It was very difficult for me to get the car in the middle of the dolly.
7. It always put me in a frustrated mood after loading.
8. I used the dolly for four years and many thousands of miles.
9. There was no place to put the darn thing most of the time and it was a Master tow.
10. I converted to four down and all my troubles are done.

Good Luck but I am not the person to recommend a Dolly.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:15 AM   #14

I had a master tow.

Tags
dolly