Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2021, 08:21 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Dolly or trailer for Civic?

hi all, new to this stuff. we have an '06 Civic 5-speed that we've been told cannot be flat-towed. Looking between a dolly and a flat trailer, which would you guys use? My wife and i will be living in our MH full-time while I travel for welding jobs. the trailer may be useful for other things, but probably not. the dolly takes up less room, but will still be putting wear on the car.

thoughts?
Mr.Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2021, 08:30 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Will, I'd go with a dolly. I used a dolly for a while for our '05 Odyssey, then towed it four down for thousands of miles.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:54 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Woody View Post
hi all, new to this stuff. we have an '06 Civic 5-speed that we've been told cannot be flat-towed. Looking between a dolly and a flat trailer, which would you guys use? My wife and i will be living in our MH full-time while I travel for welding jobs. the trailer may be useful for other things, but probably not. the dolly takes up less room, but will still be putting wear on the car.

thoughts?
I don't know who told you that. I towed our 08 civic automatic all over the country. No problems.
I sold the civic but kept the base plate. I have no use for it, but it will fit your civic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Win RS RV & Civic.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	337621  
Bangorbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:13 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
From the owners manual

With the front wheels on the ground,
it is best to tow the vehicle no farther
than 50 miles (80 km), and keep the
speed below 35 mph (55 km/h).
Old 07-28-2021, 10:55 PM   #5

If you are talking 5 speed manual, then there is no reason it can't be flat towed. Owners manuals are never right, ask here or look on etrailer.
bowhunter72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 04:48 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter72 View Post
If you are talking 5 speed manual, then there is no reason it can't be flat towed. Owners manuals are never right, ask here or look on etrailer.
yes, 5-speed manual.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:49 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
I don't know who told you that. I towed our 08 civic automatic all over the country. No problems.
I sold the civic but kept the base plate. I have no use for it, but it will fit your civic.
well, I guess that settles it. where are you located? also, what type of tow-bar did you use?
Old 07-29-2021, 08:55 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
well, I guess that settles it. where are you located? also, what type of tow-bar did you use?

I used a road master falcon II. Unfortunately I live in Nevada-50 west of Las Vegas.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:46 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter72 View Post
Owners manuals are never right, ask here or look on etrailer.
Yep. Owners manuals are so unreliable, better to believe someone that has much more knowledge and experience than those who built the car.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:20 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
Yep. Owners manuals are so unreliable, better to believe someone that has much more knowledge and experience than those who built the car.
Well, here's a direct response from Honda regarding flat towing a 2007 Civic with important details in Bold/Italics:

Dear customer: Regarding your inquiry on towing your Honda or Acura automobile behind a motorhome: For your vehicle, the Owner's Manual advises against towing at more than 35 m.p.h or for more than 50 miles. However, this recommendation exists primarily because Honda has not conducted formal tests at higher speeds and for greater distances. We are not aware of any particular problems being caused by motorhome towing of Honda/Acura automobiles with either manual or automatic transmission, so long as proper pre-towing preparations are made and the vehicle is towed at legal highway speeds. Manual Transmission When preparing to tow your vehicle, make sure the transmission is full of fluid. Do not overfill. • Release the parking brake. • Shift the transmission to Neutral. • Turn the ignition key to the ACCESSORY (1) position to release the steering wheel lock. Make sure that the radio and all accessories are turned off.

Automatic Transmission When preparing to tow your vehicle, make sure the transmission fluid level is full. Do not overfill. If Honda/Acura automobile with an automatic transmission is towed with the front or all four wheels on the ground, you must do the following every day immediately before towing: • Start the engine. • Press on the brake pedal. Shift the lever through all the positions (P,R,N,D,2,1). • Shift to D, then to N. Let the engine run for at least three minutes, then turn off engine. • Release the parking brake. • Leave the ignition switch in ACCESSORY (1) so the steering wheel does not lock. Make sure the radio and any items plugged into the accessory power sockets are turned off so you do not run down the battery. If you travel more than 8 hours in one day (including stopping time), you must stop and repeat the above procedures. NOTICE: The steering system can be damaged if the steering wheel is locked. Always leave the key in the ACCESSORY (1) position to prevent damage to the steering system when towing behind another vehicle. CAUTION: Severe automatic transmission damage will occur if the car is shifted from reverse to neutral and then towed with the drive wheels on the ground. NOTICE: Improper towing preparation will damage the transmission. Follow the above procedure exactly. If you cannot shift the transmission or start the engine, your vehicle must be on a flat bed truck or trailer. If you tow a Honda/Acura vehicle with automatic transmission, the fluid must be changed every two years or 30,000 miles, whichever comes first. Although experience has shown that the Honda/Acura transmission and powertrain are capable of being "motorhome towed", America Honda does not assume responsibility for any vehicle damage or liabilities incurred due to the towing device, towing vehicle, lighting hookup, or other towing equipment or towing procedures; any responsibility for these items is assumed by the owner/operator. If you have additional questions, please call American Honda Motor Co. Inc. (National Consumer Affairs) at 800-999-1009.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:23 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
I used a road master falcon II. Unfortunately I live in Nevada-50 west of Las Vegas.
Did you leave the key in the ACC position, or did you not worry about it?
Old 07-29-2021, 06:00 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Sell the Civic and get something you can tow four down. Having a dolly can make life difficult in small RV sites.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:14 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Did you leave the key in the ACC position, or did you not worry about it?
You have to unlock the steering wheel therefore the key will be at least 1 click.

BTW, the Acura manual said you couldn't tow my 2002 tl Auto. Contacted Acura and guess what. Yes I could. As stated above, Japan has quit testing
vehicles cus people can't follow towing instructions probably. Honda was having to fix to many transmissions.

I currently tow a Toyota tacoma. Can't tow per the manual. Yes you can. Driveshaft disconnect installed. Have towed lots of miles.

You CAN tow the civic.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
They are not right. Owners manual says I should not tow my 2000 f250 with 5 speed manual more then 50 miles
bowhunter72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, trailer