Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Dolly tires sliding in turns with Tow Dolly

Just got a new Acme Tow Dolly and took it out for a test run using my 4Runner to pull it with wife's Mini Cooper Countryman loaded on the tow dolly. Took it to a church parking lot that had just been recently paved. Had wife do some normal and tight turns while I watched the dolly. Tires on the dolly in turns were sliding leaving black marks on the new Asphalt pavement. Mini Cooper doesn't have the steering wheel lock so steering wheel was turning in turns. This only happens when car is loaded on dolly.
Is this normal? That's got to be rough on the wheel bearing and tires. Could also break a bead on the rim and that would sux.
hdzcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2014, 02:21 PM   #2

I can't speak for the brand of dolly you have, but mine doesn't do this in tight turns. I have a Tow Master w/surge brakes. I know you said you tested it out with your 4runner, i would think it would turn a whole lot tighter then your Motorhome, Class C or A. Just something to think about, you might want to do another test with your RV and yes, S-Wheel is t be unlocked, But Toad should be strap Very Tight to Dolly.
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination" Delmar, Md.
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The turning radius for the EZE-Tow/Mini combo is probably being exceeded by the 4Runner's ability to make tight turns.

Without a pivot pan or steering axle on the EZE-Tow, the turn radius is developed by the toad's steering - exactly like a flat-tow.

Acme's on-line owners manual includes an opening statement that U-Turns should be avoided (probably for this reason).
http://cartowdolly.com/online-owners-manual/

But, I have made U-turns with my EZE-Tow behind my RV and while pulling a car with my Dodge 3500, without sliding the tires, so it should not be a problem with your RV. Just be careful with tight turns if/when using the dolly with the 4Runner.

When unloaded, there is no restriction to the EZE-Tow's turning radius.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I saw the same thing first time I pulled it loaded. The car was a little loose on the straps and the dolly tires were brand new, and I was making real tight turns. Have not seen it since, have pulled about 3000 miles now, no noticeable tire wear. Be sure you have 90# in the tires. If you e-mail Richard at Acme he normally replies quickly and will answer straight.

edit
Oh yeah, forgot it was behind my pick-up when I had the experience also.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
I'll have to test it again with the 38' motorhome. No doubt the turns will be less than with the 4Runner but it still seemed weird with the tow dolly tires sliding. We've had the Motorhome a little less than 1 yr with about 10k miles and I been in some tight turns including U turns that couldn't be avoided without driving who knows how far out of the way to turn around. So far I've been towing my Harley but getting ready for fall and need the Mini.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:31 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is not weird at all to skid the tires on a dolly if a turn is made too tightly. If turned too tight, even the dollys with a pivot pan or steering axle will hit the lock and start to skid. This is because the car's rear wheels will not swing out during the turn like the rear end of a trailer will swing out.

Picture a little red wagon - but where the front steering cannot turn past a shallow angle. If you keep pulling and turning, the front wheels will start to skid into the turn.

Your front engine Challenger 377 will have a dramatically wider turn radius than the 4Runner. It will be much more like our 37' long Outlaw.

And with the long rear overhang on these RV, there is a very low angle placed on the dolly during turns.

If still worried, you could take the RV towing the Mini to the same church for a test - and maybe have the wife video record it with her phone for you to see.

I seriously doubt there will be any issue, even in the tightest turn the RV can make.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:27 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
I plan on doing the test with the Mini Cooper behind the motorhome at the same church parking lot tomorrow. Just want to make sure things are good. Seeing it in the rear view camera is not the same as doing test turns in a parking lot and seeing what's really happening.
Thanks everyone for the replies.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:22 AM   #8

What you are seeing is the result of friction, not sliding. Dollies do not have suspensions. The only suspension component on a dolly is the tires. In a tight turn you will see a lot of friction between the tires and the ground. 90% of dolly towing is done in a forward motion on a highway, not in circles. Also if there is any deceleration in the turn then braking resistance is being applied also.

Because there is no suspension dolly tires do not last as long as passenger tires. You should expect 5 to 12k miles depending on the type of driving you do, i.e.; hard braking, bad roads, tight curving backroads, etc. These tires have a high load rating and are 10 ply. They are ideal for this application.
The friction has no effect on the bearings or seals. Horizontol Thrust is not an issue. We back the bearings and hubs and seals for 5 to 10 years. Would not do that if there was a concern.

Thanks.
EZE Tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:13 AM   #9

I recently took mine out on the motor home to test the EZE Tow Dolly. I didn't have the advantage of someone on the outside, but from the rear camera the angle developed between the dolly and the RV seemed to be small. Also, the amount of turning of the car's steering appeared to be small as well, i.e., the car never developed a large angle relative to the dolly itself.

I would be interested in hearing what happens if you repeat with the RV and the tow dolly.

Also, is the Mini rear wheel drive?
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:58 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
All Mini coopers are front wheel drive. Should I say all the newer ones are. They do make some all 4's now but ours is an automatic non 4 wheel drive and doesn't have the steering lock.

Tags
dolly, tires, tow, tow dolly