Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2017, 08:38 AM   #1

Dolly tow a Kia Soul

I have a 2013 Kia Soul with FWD, automatic transmission and push button start. I just bought this to tow on my dolly behind our 2007 Class A Winnebago. The Kia operators manual says it is possible to dolly tow the Kia and to put the car in neutral with the key on accessory. I believe this is to unlock the front wheels. Doing this also runs the battery down since the center screen and other accessories are on. My dolly has a swivel pan so I don't need the wheels unlocked. So my question is, can I tow the automatic Kia Soul key off, in park or will this mess up the transaxle in some way? I towed a Honda Element in park for two years with no problem. Thanks for any help. we have a trip planned in two weeks.
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2017, 08:54 AM   #2

I do not think you want wheels unlocked if the dolly swivels. Two swivel points can lead to bad occilations. See what the dolly mfg says.
mpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:06 AM   #3

Mpierce, I agree. I do not want the wheels unlocked. So, can I tow the Kia Soul with the transmission in Park. I can't seem to get an answer anywhere.
JayLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:32 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I can't answer your question! Keep it between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:57 AM   #5

I tow a 2011 Kia Soul on a swivel pan dolly. It is a key start, no pushbutton.

I towed with the key out and the steering locked, until the steering lock jambed the steering, shifter and ignition switch, during some tight maneuvers. Took some field work to un-jamb it but got it free. For the longest time it no longer locked.

Happened again last month, probably from the smooth roads on NYC, and this time, I removed the ignition switch from the column and gutted the steering lock.

It tows fine without it.

If you feel that you need the steering locked, tie it with something.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:08 AM   #6

Thanks, Twinboat. What gear is the car in while towing? Is yours an automatic transmission or manual?
Old 07-24-2017, 10:41 AM   #7

Automatic and always in Park.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:28 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLynn View Post
I have a 2013 Kia Soul with FWD, automatic transmission and push button start. I just bought this to tow on my dolly behind our 2007 Class A Winnebago. The Kia operators manual says it is possible to dolly tow the Kia and to put the car in neutral with the key on accessory. I believe this is to unlock the front wheels. Doing this also runs the battery down since the center screen and other accessories are on. My dolly has a swivel pan so I don't need the wheels unlocked. So my question is, can I tow the automatic Kia Soul key off, in park or will this mess up the transaxle in some way? I towed a Honda Element in park for two years with no problem. Thanks for any help. we have a trip planned in two weeks.
With the swivel pan on the dolly put the car in park turn the key off lock the stering wheel by moving it to endangered the lock install the straps and go.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:42 AM   #9

Thanks. Your replies have been helpful.

Tags
dolly, tow