Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2021, 07:33 AM   #1

Dolly towing 2018 FWD Chevy Traverse

Hi all. As most know, this forum is a wealth of knowledge. But I can't figure this one out.
I have read through the thread 2019 Chevy traverse flat tow, but my issue is with dolly towing a 2018 Premium pkg.. Picked up our new to us DSDP and put the Traverse on the dolly as explained in the manual. Pretty straight forward and is the same process as for most FWD vehicles. The ignition was turned off. We arrived back at our home which was around a 400 mile trip. I removed the straps, pulled the tilt pin and then started the Traverse. I had so many alarms and warnings going of, you would of thought it was a nuclear reactor going critical. ABS, Traction control, Reduced power steering assist. and some others. Everything cleared after a few start and stops, and about 10 miles driving. Some warnings cleared by turning off and on the system like traction control and lane assist. BUT the systems should be dormant since the ignition was off. I'm worried that next time or the infamous "third time and your out" scenario happens, the ECM's won't reset and have to go to a dealer for assistance.
I can live with the dolly towing in lieu of flat. NOT taking a chance on damaging my wife's baby.
Any thoughts as to why this happened?
Thanks in advance.
Herman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2021, 04:32 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
The owners manual for your vehicle says dolly towing is permissible for your vehicle, while flat towing is not. With that said, have you talked to your dealer about the issue?
Old 02-18-2021, 05:35 PM   #3

You say the key was off, was the key out of the car ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:48 PM   #4

Yeah......what he said ^^^^^^^^

Everything else considered, if the vehicle was shut down, the key removed, and doors locked as you would normally......the rear wheels turning should have no bearing on how the vehicle “thinks” it’s just parked.

BTW.....are you using the Traverse IN ANY WAY to provide rear lighting while it’s on the dolly?
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:12 AM   #5

The ignition was off and the key fobs were with us in the RV. It's push button start. I am not using anything for rear lighting as of yet. Just the LEDS on the Master Tow HD dolly. Talked to a dealer in AZ that deals primarily with TOADS. They have done many Traverses, but none as new as ours. He seemed to think the car shouldn't do what it did just as Ken said ^^^. The car should think it is in park. BUT do these newer vehicles really ever go to sleep? Also considered pulling battery terminal to deenergize all systems. Have talked to local dealer but was not of any help. He just stated that if the manual says you can dolly tow, then you are OK.
Considering selling dolly and buying older CRV or Edge and flat tow it.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:21 AM   #6

Well, after 3 more trips and 2 of the 3 ended up with the same issues,
The dealers answer to my issue was to NOT tow the vehicle with any wheels on the ground. Actually there were no codes set/archived when scanned.

So, I have fixed the problem.
Purchased a used Ford Edge that is already set up as a TOAD.

Tags
towing, tow, chevy, dolly