Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-10-2022, 06:14 PM   #1

Dolly towing

We currently tow a Toyota RAV4 on a 2 wheel tow dolly behind our Winnebago Brave MH.
We would like to get a newer, slightly larger and more powerful SUV.
(Want to tow a small fishing boat in the future)

What do you tow on your dolly?

2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive.
Recommendations please.
Wadders1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2022, 09:25 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Personally I would go to 4 down towing over dolly, if I was buying a new vehicle.
Old 10-11-2022, 06:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvs4602 View Post
Personally I would go to 4 down towing over dolly, if I was buying a new vehicle.
Sorry but we are not considering that option as the cost to go from dolly towing to four down is restrictive.
Old 10-11-2022, 07:04 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We've towed multiple vehicles on different journeys over the past 8 years on our American Car Dolly. 2 Ford Focus's, a Ford ranger pick up , a Chevy S-10, , a Mitsubishi Outlander SUV, and a Prius. All have been 2 wheel drive. The 2 pick-ups we towed with front wheels on the ground (backwards) as they were rear wheel drive. But we added weight to the bed (camping gear/ spare tires etc.) when towing the pick ups rearward to assure no wiggle. Our experience has been excellent, we are able to load quickly and have towed almost 90,000 miles this way coast to coast several times and to Alaska from Georgia with the different vehicles over the years. I believe the weight limit on an American Car Dolly is around 6500 lbs. and we love how stout it is.

All our vehicles have been 2 wheel drive and they have met the requirements of the use for any given travel.

We used to tow a Jeep 4 down but will not go back to that set up.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 07:45 AM   #5

I dolly towed a FWD Jeep Renegade for a few years and then a Honda Ridgeline FWD 4 door pickup.
This year we're towing our 2007 FWD Jeep Patriot, while we wait for our FWD maverick to come in.

The Ridgeline towed my 28 ft boat short distances to the launch ramp 6 times, plenty of power.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 10:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadders1962 View Post
We currently tow a Toyota RAV4 on a 2 wheel tow dolly behind our Winnebago Brave MH.
We would like to get a newer, slightly larger and more powerful SUV.
(Want to tow a small fishing boat in the future)

What do you tow on your dolly?

2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive.
Recommendations please.
We tow a 21 Buick Enclave FWD, upgraded from 14 SRX Caddy as we wanted a bit bigger car with increased storage space. Measure your dolly for width so
You can filter your search to vehicles that will fit. I didnít do that and ended up with a new dolly. Buick was 2Ē wider than Caddy. 🙄
speedway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 02:38 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Note that some (many?) "4 wheel drive" vehicles are actually all-wheel-drive and cannot be dolly-towed. Ditto for a few 4 WD vehicles as well, depending on the details of the transfer case. If you choose a 4 WD or AWD vehicle, verify that dolly towing is permitted.

We only used a dolly one season and towed a front drive (2WD) sedan.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 09:50 AM   #8

Cherokee trailhawk

Went to a dealer today and thought I had found the right vehicle, recommended by the dealer.
However I get home and research it, and the Cherokee Trailhawk can not be towed on a two up tow dolly!!!!
Grrrrr!
Old 10-15-2022, 10:05 AM   #9

We tow a FWD Chevy Sonic RS hatchback 6spd manual on an ACME EZE Tow dolly. Having no swivel plates, the ACME is one of few that can be backed up.
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 10:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadders1962 View Post
Went to a dealer today and thought I had found the right vehicle, recommended by the dealer.
However I get home and research it, and the Cherokee Trailhawk can not be towed on a two up tow dolly!!!!
Grrrrr!
Yup. If you insist on using a tow dolly, youíll PROBABLY find there arenít any AWD or 4WD vehicles that can be dolly towed because the manufacturers design them to have both axles rotating at or nearly the same speed.
I suspect your dolly vehicle will HAVE to be front wheel drive.
If you prefer rear wheel drive, youíll PROBABLY have to tow backwards.

Towing 4 down is easier to do, but a little more costly, and can also restrict your choices.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 10:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
We tow a FWD Chevy Sonic RS hatchback 6spd manual on an ACME EZE Tow dolly. Having no swivel plates, the ACME is one of few that can be backed up.
The cars steering does the articulating instead of the swivel plate.

Absolutely no difference in backing a swivel plate dolly.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 10:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiDudi View Post
The OP outlined that he needs a bigger and more powerful vehicle than your Sonic.
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow, towing