Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2017, 09:12 AM   #1

Dolly towing a rental car vs cheap toad

Hi,

We really only need a toad for two 1 week trips a year, for our 3 night trips every second weekend we hike and Kayak from state park so do not need a toad at the moment but it could be handy.

My wife's AWD car cannot be flat towed and my 4 wheel drive SUV needs a driveshaft disconnect kit. We both really like what we have already and don't want to change one for a flat towable vehicle.

I contemplated purchasing a cheap toad to either flat or dolly tow but got thinking how about dolly towing a small rental car.

A decent used toad would be 3,000$ to purchase and about 1000$ a year in insurance, registration and maintenance (that's a guess figure). So if the toad is worth 1500$ in 5 years that brings the cost to 1300$ a year

A small car can be rented for 200$ a week, so 400$ a year.

A tow dolly is about 500$ to rent for a week so it would be more economical to purchase a used or new one.

What are folks thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2017, 09:23 AM   #2

For no more than your going to use it that would work. However the hang up is if the rental company objects to it being on a dolly, some do, some don't. Have to search around.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:25 AM   #3

I don’t rent cars very often, but most rental companies I have rented from don’t allow theirs to be towed or to tow any kind of trailer. Check around different companies and ask. You might be able to rent a flat bed trailer and put the car on that. U-Haul rents flat bed car haulers. Or have you considered driving your RV to wherever you are going and rent from a local agency? Good luck and let us know what you find out. You may help someone out.
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
For no more than your going to use it that would work. However the hang up is if the rental company objects to it being on a dolly, some do, some don't. Have to search around.
Thanks, I did see some companies allow it. I will call around tomorrow and ask.

Two advantages to renting would be we would have a newish car each time and not have to store a 3rd car at home as we only have a 2 car garage and limited driveway space.

Two advantages to owing a cheap toad would be being able to take it with us all the time and not worrying if it gets dinged up a bit.

Maybe I should rent a dolly and car for one day and see what it's like to tow. Coat would be about 80$
Old 10-22-2017, 09:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwitt View Post
I don’t rent cars very often, but most rental companies I have rented from don’t allow theirs to be towed or to tow any kind of trailer. Check around different companies and ask. You might be able to rent a flat bed trailer and put the car on that. U-Haul rents flat bed car haulers. Or have you considered driving your RV to wherever you are going and rent from a local agency? Good luck and let us know what you find out. You may help someone out.
Hi,

You posted as I was posting.

That's true about renting locally but they are fairly out of the way places we go. Last week long trip was 2 hours from home and my wife drove our Toyota 4 runner, we had a load of firewood in the back. We do want to tour the entire Upper peninsula of Michigan next year so a car would be handy.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:19 AM   #6

I called Avis and they do not allow towing.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:29 AM   #7

Could you replace one of the cars you currently have with a 4 down towable? It seems that would lower your costs and provide a toad to use whenever you needed it.

I also noticed that your insurance is a bit higher than ours is, but I guess that is dependent on where you live and the value of the vehicles.

Best of luck.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
Could you replace one of the cars you currently have with a 4 down towable? It seems that would lower your costs and provide a toad to use whenever you needed it.

I also noticed that your insurance is a bit higher than ours is, but I guess that is dependent on where you live and the value of the vehicles.

Best of luck.

Steve
Hi Steve,

Only if I could get something the same size as my 4 runner and with 4wd.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:47 AM   #9

Dolly towing a rental car vs cheap toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
Hi,

You posted as I was posting.

That's true about renting locally but they are fairly out of the way places we go. Last week long trip was 2 hours from home and my wife drove our Toyota 4 runner, we had a load of firewood in the back. We do want to tour the entire Upper peninsula of Michigan next year so a car would be handy.

Midland and the UP are pretty close together. I suggest your finances would be best doing what you did above.
We plop our MH at a base of operations and explore with our Wrangler up to 100 miles per day. Fewer MH moves, more adventures
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Midland and the UP are pretty close together. I suggest your finances would be best doing what you did above.
We plop our MH at a base of operations and explore with our Wrangler up to 100 miles per day. Fewer MH moves, more adventures
Thanks for the advice,

Just to note, the bridge maybe 3.5 hours away but the western UP is over 10 hours driving.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
Thanks for the advice,

Just to note, the bridge maybe 3.5 hours away but the western UP is over 10 hours driving.

Some do 12 hours easily. We do 4 hours maximum.
I'm guessing you will explore from more than one camp, eh?
Mackinaw, Copper Harbor, Sioux St Marie, Porcupine Mountains, etc.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:30 PM   #12

There have been several threads discussing various toads on this forum.

Another thought would be to add the disconnect to your Runner. Our toad for the last 10 years has been a '92 4wd manual Geo Tracker which I'm thinking would be too small for you. It is 4 down towable, but after a trip or two across the US I added a Demco disconnect.The disconnect lasted about 8 years and 60k miles. I had it rebuilt last year for use last summer.

Doing all the work myself and shopping eBay for the disconnect it cost in the neighborhood of $300.00. It cost nearly that much for the rebuild and I did the install. I don't know what it would cost for a new one installed.

Steve
Old 10-22-2017, 01:34 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Why not just add the driveshaft disconnect to the Toyota. Seems like that wold be cheap and you get to use your own vehicle.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:45 PM   #14

Something else we did to facilitate river canoeing/hiking/hunting/fishing, etc. was to add a motorbike carrier to the vehicle we carried the canoe on to provide a shuttle. We used Honda 90s, but anything would work. I know this isn't the focus of the thread, but I thought it might be a useful idea for your kayaking/hiking.

Steve

Tags
dolly, rental, toad, tow, towing