Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2014, 11:36 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dolly Towing CRV AWD

After looking for a long time, we finally found a beautiful ONE OWNER, SMOKE FREE TOAD. Any special precautions when towing 1997 CRV AWD on Dolly ??? I have read the owner manual and understand the procedure for FOUR DOWN. Is that procedure necessary since the front wheels will be on the Dolly ?
david g.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2014, 01:20 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would research that VERY carefully before attempting. Typically, All Wheel Drive vehicles cannot be towed on a dolly. Since it is ALL wheel drive it is ALL wheels down or none via trailer.

Hopefully someone here can give you the exact restrictions for the CRV.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:42 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
If my memory serves me correctly my CRV 2011 manual says not to tow on a dolly - either four down or completely on a trailer. I'll go read it again and if not correct I'll let you know but I don't know if that applies to your 2007.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
I would research that VERY carefully before attempting. Typically, All Wheel Drive vehicles cannot be towed on a dolly. Since it is ALL wheel drive it is ALL wheels down or none via trailer.
X2
Never heard of an AWD that could be put on a tow dolly.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:17 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
If my memory serves me correctly my CRV 2011 manual says not to tow on a dolly - either four down or completely on a trailer. I'll go read it again and if not correct I'll let you know but I don't know if that applies to your 2007.

I read my book and it says serious transmission damage can occur if towed on a dolly. Mine is listed as a 4 wheel drive not all wheel as you mention in post 1. I don't know if that makes a difference. You might as a Honda tech at a dealer ship.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:34 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
UPDATE!!!!!!!!! I just found this by GOOGLE, good information for anyone else needing the same answer as I did.
david g.

These are the instructions I got from Honda Motors Customer Service line for an AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION model - - -
If you are towing with the front (drive) wheels up ON A TOW DOLLY - nothing special is necessary - UNLESS you have an AWD model - then, make sure the differential fluid for the rear axle is completely topped off.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:00 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by justimagination View Post
UPDATE!!!!!!!!! I just found this by GOOGLE, good information for anyone else needing the same answer as I did.
david g.

These are the instructions I got from Honda Motors Customer Service line for an AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION model - - -
If you are towing with the front (drive) wheels up ON A TOW DOLLY - nothing special is necessary - UNLESS you have an AWD model - then, make sure the differential fluid for the rear axle is completely topped off.
When I bought my CRV the dealer told me to never use a dolly or it would damage the transmission. Better check something other than Google.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
I would research that VERY carefully before attempting. Typically, All Wheel Drive vehicles cannot be towed on a dolly. Since it is ALL wheel drive it is ALL wheels down or none via trailer. Hopefully someone here can give you the exact restrictions for the CRV.
Nick is spot on here.

I have a 2013 AWD CRV and you CAN NOT tow it on a dolly. I have never heard of any AWD that could be towed with a dolly. Like Nick said; it's 4down or 4up on a trailer. Maybe the older ones is different, but I doubt it. ...good luck

Randy W
Iwillbeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by justimagination View Post
After looking for a long time, we finally found a beautiful ONE OWNER, SMOKE FREE TOAD. Any special precautions when towing 1997 CRV AWD on Dolly ??? I have read the owner manual and understand the procedure for FOUR DOWN. Is that procedure necessary since the front wheels will be on the Dolly ?
david g.
justimagination,
Ok, first, you say you've read the owners manual. And, you state you "Understand the procedure for FOUR DOWN", correct? And, you ask if that procedure is necessary?

Well, what does the owners manual state, exactly, word for word, in terms of flat towing your 1997 Honda CRV? I've not read your year manual but, like Ciderdogs, ours was an '11 CRV EX-L and it specifically stated to NOT tow these vehicles on a dolly. Honda changes drive line characteristics every now and then but, as far as the model CRV is concerned, according to about 98% of the owners out there that tow them, flat tow them.

It sounds, by the sound of your statement, that you'd prefer towing on a dolly. Dollies are only used primarily because the particular vehicle that someone want's to drag along as a toad, CANNOT be flat towed for various reasons. I'd say the general consensus out there is that, if you can FLAT TOW, then why do a dolly thing? Having a dolly during traveling/camping etc. can become a pain due to trying to find space for them while at RV parks or camp spots.

If your manual states specifically that you should FLAT TOW your CRV with ALL FOUR DOWN, then, you should follow those instructions. Your choice.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, towing