Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2010, 10:49 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
TJs didn't come as a 2wd. As far as I know, no Wranglers came as 2WD.
Sorry to say, but the Wrangler Unlimited comes in a 4x2 variant, has for several years.

One could argue that a 4 door Wrangler is not a Wrangler, but it has the same name and comes in 2 wheel drive.

It might be more accurate to say that the 2 door Wrangler comes only in 4 wheel drive.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinc View Post
Sorry to say, but the Wrangler Unlimited comes in a 4x2 variant, has for several years.

One could argue that a 4 door Wrangler is not a Wrangler, but it has the same name and comes in 2 wheel drive.

It might be more accurate to say that the 2 door Wrangler comes only in 4 wheel drive.
I said TJs Wranglers didn't come as 2wd no matter what model. From 2007 on the JKs do come as 4 and 2 wheel drive in only the Unlimited model. The TJs and JKs are very different even though they look similar.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:19 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
TJs didn't come as a 2wd. As far as I know, no Wranglers came as 2WD.
So we are both right and wrong.

You are right about the TJ's all being 4wd, no 2wd. And I agree.

I guess I focused on the second sentence that no Wranglers are 2wd, so I am right that some Wranglers are 2wd, even though they are based on the JK chassis.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:56 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
We have been on the road for about four weeks now-Texas to Maine -and on our way back south now (in Virginia) and are towing a Honda CRV on a tow dolly. I lost or broke a tire strap on some of New Yorks "smooth" roads didn't realize it had broken until I stopped to check them for tightness, the only thing that kept it on the dolly were the safety chains. I felt very lucky because I had not added the safety chains until this trip. Lucky I had two sets of straps.

John
Old 10-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Well I've bit the bullet, sold the tow dolly and am now shopping for a tow bar set up. Come across a near new Stowmaster hitch, wiring control,brake control and a supplemental brake system? I'm heading for a drive in the country on Sunday to look at it. Still on the TJ, we bought a fairly pristine 2003 TJ and that is our next victim. While picking up the hardtop I talked to Chrysler dealer people. NONE of them heard of not being able to tow a TJ with 2 wheels up. ALL said they can't figure that one out as the transfer case in neutral, std.transmission in neutral-is not going to spin too many gears. Also Jeep has yet to make their first transfer case. Other manufactuers using the 231 transfer case do not have the similar towing proviso. I've also looked at a car hauler and like the convenience of it but would be problematic storing it at a camp ground. These new tow bars stow away very nicely. We'll see on monday where we are at in this towing saga. We had some snow earlier in week and I'm not liking the idea of escaping here in a snow storm.
POPPASMURF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
incredible

the roadway sounds like I-20 near Jackson Mississippi

good to hear no injuries
I second the motion here. Worst stretch of interstate I've ever traveled on.
tnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I had a very similar experience some years back. My hunting buddy called one morning and asked me if I could go help him get his jeep off of Davis Island in the Mississippi river. River was coming up and had to get it off before the island went under.
Well when we got there a tree limb had fallen across the front fender and we could not drive the jeep onto the trailer. Luckily someone else was there and had a small tractor. He let us use his tractor while he loaded up items from his camp site. We had to push the jeep up on the trailer using the tractor. We got the jeep secured to the trailer and helped our friend get loaded up and got off the island very quickly.
We headed back home(shreveport,la.) on I20 and got all the way to Bossier City when we heard a loud pop. It scared me and my buddy and he instinctively hit the brakes. I turned and looked out of the passenger window and the jeep still on the trailer passed us on the right and veered down the steep embankment toward a few rear yards of a couple of houses that backed up to interstate. I feared that the trailer and jeep would crash into one of the houses. However the chain link fence slowed it enough so the tongue of the trailer dug into the ground.
I don't think i'll ever forget seeing that trailer/jeep pass us or the look on the homeowners face when we circled around and knocked on his door to ask him if we could get our jeep out of his back yard!
We figured out that when we pushed the jeep up on the trailer we partially broke the shaft on the ball hitch. Very very lucky no one was close to use in the right or exit lane.
PEPPER9950 is offline   Reply With Quote