Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2009, 05:01 PM   #1

Drill new pin holes in towbar stinger and new drop hitch?

Evening,
I'm setting up the new Jeep Wrangler to tow and in doing so had to purchase a drop hitch to get the Wrangler level with the motorhome.
Purchased a Roadmaster 6inch drop hitch. The pin hole in the drop hitch is close to the end of it which in my opinion lets the drop hitch wiggle to much in the motorhome receiver. The receiver on the motorhome will let me slide the drop hitch in further and I'm thinking if I drilled a new hole in the drop hitch it would not only shorten how much the drop hitch sticks out but also be more stable because it goes deeper into the receiver.
I read where one poster on here did this very thing and that he confered with Roadmaster who agreed as long as he met certain conditions like the holes had to be 4 inches apart.
The part of the drop hitch that goes in the receiver is solid steel all the way through so I'm thinking it has plenty of strength as it is rated at 10000 pounds.
What do some of you think?
Also I'm thinking of drilling a new hole in the stinger of the tow bar as the pin hole is somewhat wallowed out and there is plenty of length on the stinger for another hole. Also the cost of just the stinger is $230.00 which I think is ridiculous.
Appreciate any of your thoughts and opinions.
Letsgoagain
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2009, 05:28 AM   #2

I drilled a new hole in mine and it's been fine in the 14K miles I've used it that way. Just make sure the new hole is smooth so it doesn't work on the pins.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:21 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
IF you are talking about drilling the hitch adapter, MAJOR JOB. the hitch receiver "major job" (note the lower case

Blue Ox sells a handy dandy thing that will fit either their, Roadmaster or "Fill in the blank" brand hitches, and cuts way down on that "wiggle" and vibration, I have one

NOTE: I used to have a cheep knock off... I now have a genuine article. You can guess why. Took me a while,, They call them Receiver Hitch Immobilizers and you can find them http://www.blueox.us/Accessories/droprcvrs.htm on the link
Old 04-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 07 Terra LX Hitch, drop down hitch was loose. Went to home depot and got a thin shim stock 6"x8" and formed it around the drop hitch. Put it in the hitch and beat the drop hitch into it to form fit it. Mark for the hole and drill out. Make sure the shim goes all the was to the back of the hitch. Cut off what you don't need.
Did the same thing for my car, used a aluminum shim for house chimney. Formed it around the hitch. Push it all the was in beat the hitch in and mark the hole. Cut off the hat you don't need and use it to shim up to take out all the wiggle.
Glen Taylor Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 02:51 PM   #5

John curious about why drilling the hitch adapter qualifies as a "MAJOR JOB". Have the feeling experiance has taught you something I would like to know vs finding it out for myself.

Thinking if one had the ok from the maker, then it would be a case of putting the adapter in a drill press and drilling a correct size, centered hole in the approved location. What am I missing?

Again not looking to attack your position just looking for more info on it.

Thanks
Nutmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 06:57 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I think you will be ok drilling another hole. I also drilled my Roadmaster drop hitch with Roadmasters blessing. They said as long as I was 4+ inches away from the end or adjacent hole it would be ok. It's still long but a lot better and I have drug it a couple of times. The Blue Ox drop hitch would have given me about 2" shorter but not sure if would have drug as well. What I don't like is the available cable and connector lengths are almost too short but going to the next size up is WAY too long. The longer stinger/drop assembly does cause the toad to track a little more to the outside which is kinda nice. Without the longer stinger it tended to turn a little inside ther rear wheels.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:01 PM   #7

Appalachian Campers
I drilled a new hitch pin hole in my Blue Ox tow bar and a new one in my drop down hitch. Whole hitch arrangement is tighter and shorter for better towing and tracking. No problems after towing 6K+ miles. Challenge was getting holes drilled on a symmetrical centerline since both pieces are square tubes. Any such drilling should be done using a drill press for best accuracy. If drilled off line, hitch pin may be difficult to insert through hitch.
igor2brvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:18 PM   #8

Okay I had the tow bar stinger end cut off and a new hole drilled by a local machine shop. He did a real nice job on the new hole, good and snug where as the one as it came from Roadmaster was a little sloppy which led to it wallowing out.
As far as the drop hitch and drilling a new hole in it. I don't think I can manage four inches before the drop hitch rise contacts part of the motorhome receiver. It will slide in the receiver a considerable distance which I feel makes it more stable but where the factory drilled hole is and where I want to drill the new hole is 3 inches.
Sixpack98, when you talked to Roadmaster were they adamant about the 4 inches from the factory drilled hole? This drop hitch is solid steel all the way through and I'm wondering if 3 is sufficient. I tryed to get a hold of Roadmaster Tech services with my questions last week but they never called me back.
Thanks for your replies.
Keith
Old 04-25-2009, 09:05 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letsgoagain View Post
Okay I had the tow bar stinger end cut off and a new hole drilled by a local machine shop. He did a real nice job on the new hole, good and snug where as the one as it came from Roadmaster was a little sloppy which led to it wallowing out.
As far as the drop hitch and drilling a new hole in it. I don't think I can manage four inches before the drop hitch rise contacts part of the motorhome receiver. It will slide in the receiver a considerable distance which I feel makes it more stable but where the factory drilled hole is and where I want to drill the new hole is 3 inches.
Sixpack98, when you talked to Roadmaster were they adamant about the 4 inches from the factory drilled hole? This drop hitch is solid steel all the way through and I'm wondering if 3 is sufficient. I tryed to get a hold of Roadmaster Tech services with my questions last week but they never called me back.
Thanks for your replies.
Keith
Keith,
I did not press RM so I can't answer your question on how adamant they are wrt 4". I'm sure their is some cya and probably very worst case scenario slanted. Heck the steel is 2X2 and rated at 10k lbs. RM seems to respond to email faster than v2v.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:04 PM   #10

Mark,
Thanks for your reply. I'll try your suggestion and contact them through email. I agree the drop receiver (in my case a raise receiver, I have to flip it over cause the jeep is higher then the motorhome) is 2 inches of solid steel. I'm no engineer though and would have to here what they say.
Thanks again for the help. Keith