Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2017, 07:37 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Sorry to hijack the thread but you guys are obviously well acquainted with the Remco driveshaft disconnect. I have always been disappointed that it is not listed as fitting any foreign cars. Since you are familiar with the product, is there any reason why it could not be adapted to say an Acura MDX, a Volvo XC90 or a BMW or Mercedes SUV or crossover?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2017, 10:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regis View Post
MonkeyClaw, boy am I glad I found your thread, i was almost positive that the FJ cruiser auto could be modified to tow 4 down but most of my research said no, maybe, could be or my friend does it with no problem.

Anyway, I have a 2012 FJ auto 4wd that I recently purchased and want to tow behind my motorhome. I was hoping to do the setup myself, it sounds like I can purchase the do disconnect from do king in Dallas, is that correct?

Anything else thought wise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Regis
2001Newmar Mountainaire DP
1998 Honda CR-V (sold)
2012 FJ Cruiser TTSE 4wd auto
Yes, call Dave at driveshaft king and he will set you up. I spoke with him again regarding the installation and he said that we need to cut a small groove in a bottom fin and on the top to allow the disconnect to sit flush. We have already welded a small pin on the top to hold the disconnect in place but I haven't cut the lower fin yet. I have a grinder to do the job, but haven't had the time or inclination to do it since it's been holding fine.

We've towed across the US twice plus quite a bit in the southwest and up the West coast a couple of times. The disconnect is working great and is super simple.

I haven't done any super hard offroading but have taken it on a few more difficult spots and no issues.

If you have any other questions about my setup, feel free to ask!
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread but you guys are obviously well acquainted with the Remco driveshaft disconnect. I have always been disappointed that it is not listed as fitting any foreign cars. Since you are familiar with the product, is there any reason why it could not be adapted to say an Acura MDX, a Volvo XC90 or a BMW or Mercedes SUV or crossover?
I would call driveshaft king in Dallas and see what he says. They basically cut a driveshaft and install the disconnect so theoretically it could be done on other vehicles. I don't know if there are clearance requirements or anything that might limit the application though.
MonkeyClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:59 AM   #18

That's who did mine 220,000 miles ago
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:42 PM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"MonkeyClaw".....I added a Remco disconnect to a 2010 Nissan Frontier. They had two different mounts for my rear end and could not figure out which one I needed. They sent me both. I found the same thing you did, at least on the Frontier rear end. They just didn't fit well and were flimsy. I eventually made one out of the two that worked better and attached securely. I notched the ribs on the rear end to help with the clamping. Once done, the system worked great and never had an issue.

We installed a disconnect on my neighbor's Ford Ranger. This was a more popular truck and the mount fit the rear end much better. I think they use a not so bright engineer when they make mounts for trucks/vehicles that are not so popular.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
install