Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2023, 12:20 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Drop hitch experience for flat towing

Hey there. With our new coach coming in about 4 or 5 weeks, I’m starting to just button up some final loose ends for flat towing.

Our old coach had a 2” receiver. The new coach has a 2.5” receiver. Was thinking of taking the opportunity to upgrade my drop hitch to this…

https://www.blueox.com/product/bx88352-8-adjustable-rise-drop-receiver-15000-lbs-2-1-2-receiver/

But then I saw this and got really excited…

https://genyhitch.com/product/boss-torsion-flex-16k-drop-hitch/

Gen-y says it’s tow bar compatible. I mean I know there’s a crazy price difference but it looks interesting.

Does anyone have any experience running either one with a toad set up?
Mighty_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2023, 12:58 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Are you sure you will even need a drop hitch with the new rig? And how much drop, if any?

And what sort of toad might need a 15k+ hitch?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 01:04 PM   #3

That hitch is designed for towing a trailer with tongue weight, you won't have any tongue weight flat towing. I am also very skeptical of a product when I hear a claim like "many of our customers have experienced MPG improvements as much as 3 MPG" which sounds really ridiculous, how can a hitch insert save 3 MPG?? On the average tow vehicle that is around 30%-40%!
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 01:33 PM   #4

Yeah, seems like overkill to me even if you do need/want an adjustable drop.

Unless you're going to be towing a variety of heavier toads and trailers, do you need an adjustable one that's $700+? I just measured the drop I needed and bought a drop that would get me close ...I don't think I paid over $100.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 02:18 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
For the folks that have responded so far, I was of the same mind. I would imagine the drop will be similar to my previous coach (Ventana to London Aire) and I can use my old equipment with a 2.5 to 2 inch insert, which is definitely cheaper (by a lot).

Was just wondering if someone had some real world experience with either as they looked interesting.
Old 03-10-2023, 02:38 PM   #6

You could still get an adjustable one without all the suspension built into it
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Blue-...-p/06-7932.htm
Old 03-10-2023, 03:13 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
You could still get an adjustable one without all the suspension built into it
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Blue-...-p/06-7932.htm
Bigb56, that’s pretty much the first one I posted, except I posted the 2.5 inch instead of the 2 inch shank. Agree it looks good. That’s why I was wondering if anyone’s got any experience with either one and could comment.

Hoping someone has.
Old 03-10-2023, 03:46 PM   #8

I wonder if you asked in the "Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion" as they'd probably have more folks using such a drop as that Gen-Y drop.

I still think it's a bit overkill for an motorhome and toad to have that Torsion-Flex feature as tongue weight isn't really an issue for the toad application.

Are you also going to tow a trailer? ...or a variety of trailers?

edit: eh, I guess I'm wrong. I did a search of the forum and I guess there are some who are using it for a toad;

Gen-y drop -- iRV2 google

So yes, somebody should chime in to this thread eventually.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 04:42 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
I wonder if you asked in the "Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion" as they'd probably have more folks using such a drop as that Gen-Y drop.

I still think it's a bit overkill for an motorhome and toad to have that Torsion-Flex feature as tongue weight isn't really an issue for the toad application.

Are you also going to tow a trailer? ...or a variety of trailers?

edit: eh, I guess I'm wrong. I did a search of the forum and I guess there are some who are using it for a toad;

Gen-y drop -- iRV2 google

So yes, somebody should chime in to this thread eventually.
Thanks for that! I can never seem to find what I’m searching for - though I’m usually on my phone and that my be why. Much appreciated!
Old 03-15-2023, 01:51 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I did this on two different coaches to solve the hitch height issue. No added parts, no rattling and less likely to drag as it doesn't extend the hitch further back. One and done!

I simply bought a 12" receiver at Harbor Freight and it had it plated/welded to the OEM hitch by a hitch/muffler shop.

https://www.harborfreight.com/class-...ube-69879.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160516_171145.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	388224
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 02:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I did this on two different coaches to solve the hitch height issue. No added parts, no rattling and less likely to drag as it doesn't extend the hitch further back. One and done!

I simply bought a 12" receiver at Harbor Freight and it had it plated/welded to the OEM hitch by a hitch/muffler shop.

https://www.harborfreight.com/class-...ube-69879.html

Attachment 388224
Don, I have been planning to do this after I saw yours in another thread but I just realized there is no way to put a hitch tightener on that. I wasn't going to use a hitch tightener till I read that excess slop might make the toad wander more, still on the fence
Old 03-15-2023, 02:44 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Get the new coach, do some measuring, and buy a one piece drop hitch and be done with it. No way would I spend 700 bucks on a drop hitch but there is a sucker born every minute
Old 03-15-2023, 02:48 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
I wouldn’t do anything until you have the coach, toad and towbar in hand along with a tape measure. Measure twice, order once.
I see no benefit having an adjustable drop hitch unless you plan on towing multiple things.

Do people even use hitch tighteners when flat towing?
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 04:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty_J View Post

But then I saw this and got really excited…

https://genyhitch.com/product/boss-t...6k-drop-hitch/

?
I opened the link....

Are you sure it was the hitch that got you excited?

Tags
hitch, tow, towing