Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-06-2022, 10:32 AM   #1

E-Pass Conundrum - Toad use vs on RV

2008 Tiffin Phaeton 40’, Cl A, pulling Chevy Equinox
I have a FL E-Pass Ultra that works in 19 states & auto bills
The account is set up for the Class A Phaeton
There’s no way to denote the TOAD in the account
I have it attached to Class A windshield
When I travel I figure they’ll bill me properly for the RV. & TOAD
Question - we use the TOAD a lot separately to sightsee
The TOAD doesn’t have a separate E-Pass
It’s a pain to stop & pay vs use a E-Pass
If I did buy a separate pass for the TOAD & left it in I assume when I traveled with RV it would read both passed
Or I’d have to remove the TOAD E-Pass & put it somewhere it couldn’t be read
I could put RV pass in TOAD but I assume it would bill me for the RV vs car
I emailed FL E—PASS but no response after weeks
Anybody already figured this out
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2022, 12:43 PM   #2

I don't see any info about a Sunpass Ultra, do you by chance have a Sunpass Pro? If so, the Sunpass site says it doesn't work with vehicles of 3 or more axles. (https://www.sunpass.com/en/tolls/3pl...Vehicles.shtml)

If you do need to get a transponder from another state, I've seen posts from folks who got an EZ Pass from NY to use with their RV/toad.

Good luck.
PacoWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 02:10 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
We had to get a 5 axle e-pass for the motor home and we need one for each of our toads; so when towing the toad pass ( transponder ) goes in one of those silvery envelopes that keeps them from being monitored.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 03:28 PM   #4

This is why I do not waste my time with epass. I have Sunpass, my mh and three other vehicles are registered to the account. When I have the rv alone, its one rate, with toad, another rate, toad alone, normal rate.
I do not have to do the hokey pokey, just drive
Old 06-06-2022, 11:46 PM   #5

My pass is an E-pass ultra, says right on it.
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 04:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by swduns View Post
My pass is an E-pass ultra, says right on it.

We have one too. They have change the name to “Uni” but still same thing. Move it from RV to toad when traveling in toad ….it will charge appropriately.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 06:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoWood View Post
I don't see any info about a Sunpass Ultra, do you by chance have a Sunpass Pro? If so, the Sunpass site says it doesn't work with vehicles of 3 or more axles. (https://www.sunpass.com/en/tolls/3pl...Vehicles.shtml)

If you do need to get a transponder from another state, I've seen posts from folks who got an EZ Pass from NY to use with their RV/toad.

Good luck.
Despite online misinformation to the contrary, NY EZ-Pass does not work at all out West. We learned this when we got a toll violation from Kansas. What would have been a $6 toll ran $72 (ouch!). The NY EZ-Pass website list is accurate. It covers most of the East Coast but that's it.

I just signed up for TSD's Freedom Pass, which covers the lower 48 except for 5 states they're still working on. You can link the toad to it so you only need one when towing. If you want another for the toad, you have to get two.

It's $50 per transponder until the end of the month, then $70. Thereafter it's $20/year plus, of course, incurred tolls. Link here: https://myopenroads.com/freedom-pass

We're hoping Kansas was the only state where we unknowingly used an electronic tolling lane, but we'll see...
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 06:18 AM   #8

Have the Florida EPass Uni.

Individual can't add anoter vehicle on the website.

After 3 unsuccessful attempts calling and one supervisor without a clue..... one representative put both motorhome and toad on the account.

Now I can move the pass between the 2 with both license p,ates AND descriptions on the account. Before the best that was happening is they were listing the toad without a description, only the plate and the virtual transponder designation. I didn't trust that setup and luckily I finally got a representative that saw it my way and could actually get the computer on our side.
Psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 04:10 PM   #9

I thought that you could drive thru any toll booth ‘areas’ without the electronic transponder and pay the bill that’s mailed to the address that your vehicle is registered to. That’s what I did driving thru FL not long ago - seemed to work fine. What am I missing? I’ll be driving from OH to GNP and Yellowstone and back in a couple months.
Old 06-18-2022, 04:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrand22 View Post
I thought that you could drive thru any toll booth ‘areas’ without the electronic transponder and pay the bill that’s mailed to the address that your vehicle is registered to. That’s what I did driving thru FL not long ago - seemed to work fine. What am I missing? I’ll be driving from OH to GNP and Yellowstone and back in a couple months.
What you're missing is that some states don't do "toll by plate." Like, say, Kansas, which turned an under-$10 toll into an over-$70 fine.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 05:15 PM   #11

We have a separate EZPass for our toad. When we're towing it, we wrap it in aluminum foil and store it in the glovebox. When we want to drive it on a toll road, we take it out and stick it to the windshield. Has been working well for us. Of course, we live just off the Masspike so we need an EZPass for all of our vehicles anyway.

Tags
toad