Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2018, 04:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I think your comment about "During my research phase, I learned anything under 3000 pounds doesn't need a braking system." is bordering on irresponsibility. Do some research on inertia and what happens if a Toad was to become detached from the tow vehicle. As an experiment, go out to a flat parking area and push your car, then run around to the front and try to stop it. That force would be pushing on your RV in any kind of a braking action. I personally want all tires on the road to have braking action.
Lighten up. I don't have a brake system either on my 2800#, 2wd 2 Dr Chevy tracker.
And never will. They are expensive, prone to problems and not necessary or required.
Millions of towed vehicles and trailers every day with no problems.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2018, 04:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
X2! It won’t be cheap or fun when you have to do a panic stop and without a toad brake your toad pushes you 5 feet into the vehicle in front. Even worse, it could be a kid on a bike or a pedestrian.
Taking that logic one step further, i suppose if you packed your RV a little lighter, you could stop even shorter. Right?
Old 10-06-2018, 04:17 PM   #17

Foretravel Owners Club
'04 to '06.5 Scion xB or Toyota Echo....manual trans.. 2400 lbs (And they are Toyota's).
The xB's are a poor man's MiniCooper,, without the constant repair issues
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 04:26 PM   #18

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
Lighten up. I don't have a brake system either on my 2800#, 2wd 2 Dr Chevy tracker.
And never will. They are expensive, prone to problems and not necessary or required.
Millions of towed vehicles and trailers every day with no problems.
My signature, "pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI" is a joke because I have an auxiliary braking system and breakaway circuit. Your signature, "Pushed by a 2003 Chevy Tracker" is unfortunately truthful. My TDI weighs 2785# and I wouldn't think of towing without all axles with braking. The excuse, "Millions of towed vehicles and trailers every day with no problems." is the same argument used for not wearing seatbelts, and countless other dangerous actions gamblers express that "It can't happen to me." Problem is, if the car breaks away, it most likely won't hit you but some innocent other people.

I'll lighten up when I'm proved wrong.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:31 PM   #19

Quote:
My signature, "pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI" is a joke because I have an auxiliary braking system and breakaway circuit. Your signature, "Pushed by a 2003 Chevy Tracker" is unfortunately truthful. My TDI weighs 2785# and I wouldn't think of towing without all axles with braking. The excuse, "Millions of towed vehicles and trailers every day with no problems." is the same argument used for not wearing seatbelts, and countless other dangerous actions gamblers express that "It can't happen to me." Problem is, if the car breaks away, it most likely won't hit you but some innocent other people.

I'll lighten up when I'm proved wrong.
Except just because your toad has braking may mean nothing. With braking your toad will just as easily cause another impact as a toad with no braking. They both stop somewhere and most likely not where you wish it did.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:42 PM   #20

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just bought a 2008 Jeep Wrangler X. It’s perfect. 6 speed Manual tranny. AC and a radio. Your not gonna use it as a commuter car so why buy a new one?
markarbogast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:53 PM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
Except just because your toad has braking may mean nothing. With braking your toad will just as easily cause another impact as a toad with no braking. They both stop somewhere and most likely not where you wish it did.
The brakes get applied to the maximum when the Toad breaks away. A Toad without braking will roll until it hits someone or something. For that reason and the additional braking that applies in any deceleration.

The OP was wrong when he stated he didn't need brakes on the Toad if it weighed under 3,000 lbs, WRONG. 4 states require brakes for Toads over 1,500 lbs, 4 more states require brakes at 2,000 lbs, and 40 states require breakaway braking.

I see you're from Washington. You can't drive anywhere but Washington and Oregon without traveling through states that have the 1,500 lb. threshold, In any out of state travel, pick your route carefully. Even going North into Canada you'd run into Alberta with a 2,000 lb. limit.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1418764558.png
Views:	281
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	221674  

Bob & Donna
Old 10-06-2018, 06:17 PM   #22

Quote:
The brakes get applied to the maximum when the Toad breaks away. A Toad without braking will roll until it hits someone or something. For that reason and the additional braking that applies in any deceleration.

The OP was wrong when he stated he didn't need brakes on the Toad if it weighed under 3,000 lbs, WRONG. 4 states require brakes for Toads over 1,500 lbs, 4 more states require brakes at 2,000 lbs, and 40 states require breakaway braking.

I see you're from Washington. You can't drive anywhere but Washington and Oregon without traveling through states that have the 1,500 lb. threshold, In any out of state travel, pick your route carefully. Even going North into Canada you'd run into Alberta with a 2,000 lb. limit.

Extraordinary rare for a lightweight toad to separate. Multiple simultaneous failures required.
But, you can do as you want and so can I.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:39 AM   #23

Toady

I'll agree with having a braking system. More insurance for better handling at highway speeds is welcome. I keep a Patriot sys. set just when harder braking is applied. I've been towing an '07 Ford Focus, manual, 2600#. I forget it's back there. It's low budget, kinda roomy for its size, and has decent storage space behind back seat. It's zippy, but not powerful,gets good MPG. They're many out there. Only downside is 4 down set ups run around $2500 +/-
Old 10-07-2018, 09:12 AM   #24

Easy/Fun 4-down Toad

I won’t argue brakes or no brakes, but I wouldn’t trust this map put out by a company that makes aux braking systems. Clearly the map shows that California requires a break-a-way system.

From the CA DMV: “If you use a tow bar, safety chains are required, but a breakaway switch is not. Fully operational tail, brake, and turn signal lights are required on the towed car.”

Also, the 1500lb reference on the map is for cars and truck towing trailers. I can find no reference to MH towing a toad.

J

Quote:

Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:37 AM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
I won’t argue brakes or no brakes, but I wouldn’t trust this map put out by a company that makes aux braking systems. Clearly the map shows that California requires a break-a-way system.

From the CA DMV: “If you use a tow bar, safety chains are required, but a breakaway switch is not. Fully operational tail, brake, and turn signal lights are required on the towed car.”

Also, the 1500lb reference on the map is for cars and truck towing trailers. I can find no reference to MH towing a toad.

J
It's actual safety to yourself and others, but if you want to check each state's laws individually, be my guest. this link brings up a listing of each state's website that contains the laws of that state. It is a trailer manufacturer, so maybe they've built 50 spoof websites to fool you.

Here's another braking seller's information. https://www.towshop.com/trailer_supp...aking_laws.htm There are slight differences in the post I referenced, but laws change and none of the information is dated.

Here's AAA information. Of course they're trying to sell insurance and club membership information, things have slowed down for them since GPS has replaced the demand for paper Triptiks. They have an APP for Triptiks, but not the same as the old paper flipbooks they used to issue.

Brake Buddy also has a map available, but they can't be trusted because they sell braking systems. Their map is similar to the other purveyors of false braking information.

It's all part of #FakeNews.

Bob & Donna
Old 10-07-2018, 09:52 AM   #26

Easy/Fun 4-down Toad

Quote:
It's actual safety to yourself and others, but if you want to check each state's laws individually, be my guest. this link brings up a listing of each state's website that contains the laws of that state. It is a trailer manufacturer, so maybe they've built 50 spoof websites to fool you.

Here's another braking seller's information. https://www.towshop.com/trailer_supp...aking_laws.htm There are slight differences in the post I referenced, but laws change and none of the information is dated.

Here's AAA information. Of course they're trying to sell insurance and club membership information, things have slowed down for them since GPS has replaced the demand for paper Triptiks. They have an APP for Triptiks, but not the same as the old paper flipbooks they used to issue.

Brake Buddy also has a map available, but they can't be trusted because they sell braking systems. Their map is similar to the other purveyors of false braking information.

You totally missed my point. You are quoting/linking information from 3rd parties. I quoted from a state. Also, I clicked the first link you provided. They have information that conflicts with your map’s information. Your map has numbers related to towing a trailer, not towing a vehicle behind a motorhome and comes from a company selling tow bar or brake systems for toads. So yes, Fake news.

But I guess we got a little off topic. Sorry to the OP for that.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:11 AM   #27

Quote:

I'm on your side Bob. I'm a firm believer, if your gonna do it, do it right.
Trying to cheap out on a Braking System makes zero sense but for those of that opinion there's no changing their mind. One can only hope we, or our friends and family are not on the receiving end of their poor decision for the sake of saving a buck.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:24 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have two toads Serious Toad, 2004 Silverado 2500HD crew cab. Fun and cheap Toad, 1969 VW Bug, 1800 lbs. Jim E. OKC
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad