Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2018, 01:51 PM   #43

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
Its the manual transfer case that allows flat towing! Trans he nothing to do with it. Rear drive with a manual trans should not be towed four down any distance with out removing the drive shaft or some kind of pump system for an automatic trans. I know old time dragracers did it all the time, but they only drove a quarter mile at a time. D oesnt me a n it was right!
Quote:
No standard trans in an American Vehicle that I know of self lubricated from spinning the output shaft. Imports I could care less about. They do make a setup that free wheels the rear wheels in a rear drive vehicle but no specs on the amount of torque they can handle.
I missed the qualifier that you were only talking about 'American' vehicles in the earlier post. What's an American vehicle? What's an import? Toyota? (Georgetown, KY, Princeton, IN, San Antonio, TX) Honda? (Marysville, OH) Nissan? ( Smyrna, TN, Canton, MS) Subaru? ( Lafayette, IN)

Ford Fusion? (Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico)

From USA Today, "A Cars.com assessment this year determined that the Toyota Camry, assembled at plants in Kentucky and Indiana, is the most made-in-the-U.S. car you can buy. The Honda Accord was a close second."

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2018, 04:56 PM   #44

Quote:
Its the manual transfer case that allows flat towing! Trans he nothing to do with it. Rear drive with a manual trans should not be towed four down any distance with out removing the drive shaft or some kind of pump system for an automatic trans. I know old time dragracers did it all the time, but they only drove a quarter mile at a time. D oesnt me a n it was right!
Not correct. Some rwd manual tranny 2wd vehicles can be towed flat.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:08 PM   #45

Sensitive is all I got say on A lot of threads. Safety first if your worried. [emoji23][emoji15][emoji3][emoji8]
Canefin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:23 PM   #46

IMHO
A few more bucks for a Wrangler, and you have the ultimate 4x4 off-road fun. Why not have the best and have total “happy” instead of cheaping out?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:06 PM   #47

I went with the Fiat 500 after narrowing it down from the MiniCooper, Fiat and Smart car. Very, very happy with my choice. Got all components (yes, including a braking system) off of Craig's List for $500. Had to end up buying the Fiat frame-mounted towing bracket new ($375). The Fiat is a ball to drive, yet cruises the interstate at 70 quietly and feels a whole lot bigger and heavier than it is. Highly recommend! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180616_113348.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	221925
scubes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:33 PM   #48

Well I'm one of those rare people that had a non braked, low weight toad break away from the tow bar. It was hanging on one arm and one safety chain. Luckily we were doing 5 mph at the time but it scared the [Mod Edit] out of me and bent my rear ladder.
The new toad never goes anywhere without the Blue Ox brake in place and the breakaway hooked up.
To the OP my v8 Dodge Dakota is cheap and easy, has 160K and seats 5.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:42 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancslad View Post
Well I'm one of those rare people that had a non braked, low weight toad break away from the tow bar. It was hanging on one arm and one safety chain. Luckily we were doing 5 mph at the time but it scared the [Mod Edit] out of me and bent my rear ladder.
The new toad never goes anywhere without the Blue Ox brake in place and the breakaway hooked up.
To the OP my v8 Dodge Dakota is cheap and easy, has 160K and seats 5.
So never really broke away. Hurt no one.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:37 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancslad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
So never really broke away. Hurt no one.
WOW! Snot held together long enough to stop from 5 MPH. No more force or time at 55? Or do you only tow at 5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
Hello -
First of all - I wasn't trying to turn this into a thread about brakes or not.. I understand everyone's concern about safety.. I am as well.. and I will make sure I follow all the LAWS accordingly -
What about Newtons laws?

Get mad if you want; But re-read it, I'm not saying kids should be hurt.

Anybody that wants to tow anything without brakes should be allowed to, if and only if they mount seats on the front bumper of the tow vehicle, and their kids ride there. This way, anytime you need to stop, you are not only betting the lives of others that you do it in time, but your kids are the first ones on the table. There is always somebody in front of you, and everybody is somebodies kid...
The brakes on any vehicle are designed to stop that vehicle at it's GVWR, with some reserve for safety. When you hook something behind it, if your GCVW is greater than the GVWR, you are riding in that reserve...

Think; If you rear-ended a mini-van full of kids could you ever be sure extra brakes would not have prevented or reduced the impact?
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:12 AM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
We town a Fiat 500, light and a fun car to tool around in. We bought it used, 2015 for $11k.
ajgillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:25 AM   #52

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
WOW! Snot held together long enough to stop from 5 MPH. No more force or time at 55? Or do you only tow at 5?

What about Newtons laws?

Get mad if you want; But re-read it, I'm not saying kids should be hurt.

Anybody that wants to tow anything without brakes should be allowed to, if and only if they mount seats on the front bumper of the tow vehicle, and their kids ride there. This way, anytime you need to stop, you are not only betting the lives of others that you do it in time, but your kids are the first ones on the table. There is always somebody in front of you, and everybody is somebodies kid...
The brakes on any vehicle are designed to stop that vehicle at it's GVWR, with some reserve for safety. When you hook something behind it, if your GCVW is greater than the GVWR, you are riding in that reserve...

Think; If you rear-ended a mini-van full of kids could you ever be sure extra brakes would not have prevented or reduced the impact?
I agree, but there's no arguing with ignorance. You won't win this battle with facts, your opponent is battling with his ego.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:38 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
I think he wants opinions on CARS not BRAKING.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:42 AM   #54

2nd vote for Ford Focus. I also have braking and a breakaway system, because I'm responsible.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:27 AM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubes3 View Post
I went with the Fiat 500 after narrowing it down from the MiniCooper, Fiat and Smart car. Very, very happy with my choice. Got all components (yes, including a braking system) off of Craig's List for $500. Had to end up buying the Fiat frame-mounted towing bracket new ($375). The Fiat is a ball to drive, yet cruises the interstate at 70 quietly and feels a whole lot bigger and heavier than it is. Highly recommend! Attachment 221925
Red too, just like mine!!
richardgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:27 AM   #56

Free Dinghy Guides for 1990-1999 | MotorHome Magazine

This is a good place to start. I was in your position a couple of months ago. My priorities in order were; flat towable, light weight, affordable, reliable, useable storage space, fun to drive, fuel economy. I ended up with a new 2018 Chevy Spark which is a 5 spd, 4dr hatchback. It has a full warranty, weighs 2236 lbs, and was under $12k out the door including taxes, registration, and tags. Idk if it would be a great first car for a kid but its got a bunch of airbags and such. Its now getting 36 mpg around town and is fun to drive although Im sure that its no Mini Cooper. It has quickly become our preferred daily driver which leaves the Lexus LS and AMG Mercedes gathering dust. I installed the tow system for less than a grand although as noted before, it does not include an auxilliary brake sysyem.

The toad has been a great addition and proved to be indespensable in our most recent trip. There are many great options out there. Do your research and good luck.
5spd97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad