Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2018, 02:00 PM   #57

When I did the checking, it appeared my Smart Car did not need auxillary braking anywhere but California and Nevada.

Guess where I live.

I have a brake buddy, but it is mostly for the brake away protection - the sensitivity on it set pretty high.

For a fun and cheap toad, you might consider a gas Smart. But be advised the gas models are no longer sold in the US and it is getting hard to find people to work on them.

The upside is that they are dirt cheap.
jrpend is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2018, 03:49 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
WOW! Snot held together long enough to stop from 5 MPH. No more force or time at 55? Or do you only tow at 5?

What about Newtons laws?

Get mad if you want; But re-read it, I'm not saying kids should be hurt.

Anybody that wants to tow anything without brakes should be allowed to, if and only if they mount seats on the front bumper of the tow vehicle, and their kids ride there. This way, anytime you need to stop, you are not only betting the lives of others that you do it in time, but your kids are the first ones on the table. There is always somebody in front of you, and everybody is somebodies kid...
The brakes on any vehicle are designed to stop that vehicle at it's GVWR, with some reserve for safety. When you hook something behind it, if your GCVW is greater than the GVWR, you are riding in that reserve...

Think; If you rear-ended a mini-van full of kids could you ever be sure extra brakes would not have prevented or reduced the impact?
Or if you packed lighter. Or paid closer attention. Or slowed down.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:28 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I agree, but there's no arguing with ignorance. You won't win this battle with facts, your opponent is battling with his ego.
Other people's egos. Sermons are for the church.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:20 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I'm on your side Bob. I'm a firm believer, if your gonna do it, do it right.
Trying to cheap out on a Braking System makes zero sense but for those of that opinion there's no changing their mind. One can only hope we, or our friends and family are not on the receiving end of their poor decision for the sake of saving a buck.
Way more toads burn up or cause expensive brake repairs due to bad aux brake systems than ever cause accidents because of no brakes.
Just because you choose to have aux brakes when not required is a choice. Just like a choice to have more people or supplies in your RV.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:45 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by awol50 View Post
Way more toads burn up or cause expensive brake repairs due to bad aux brake systems than ever cause accidents because of no brakes.
Just because you choose to have aux brakes when not required is a choice. Just like a choice to have more people or supplies in your RV.
Opinions, everybody's got one.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:30 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I agree, but there's no arguing with ignorance. You won't win this battle with facts, your opponent is battling with his ego.
Yes, Religion is more important than science. And many times it is hard for somebody to believe something if it will cost them if they do believe.

Quote:
Or if you packed lighter. Or paid closer attention. Or slowed down.
Packed lighter? How many MHs have the weight capacity to haul the weight of a car and stay below GVWR? How close of attention can you pay? How slow can you drive? From a earlier post, 5 MPH nobody got hurt, is that what you tow at?
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:47 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
Yes, Religion is more important than science. And many times it is hard for somebody to believe something if it will cost them if they do believe.

Packed lighter? How many MHs have the weight capacity to haul the weight of a car and stay below GVWR? How close of attention can you pay? How slow can you drive? From a earlier post, 5 MPH nobody got hurt, is that what you tow at?
And yet, hundreds of thousands of trailers and toads on the road every day with no brakes. Yet I fail to hear of the carnage. How can that be?
Fake news? Must be.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:15 AM   #64

Quote:

More to go wrong is IMHO, a reason to have crank windows, and manual seat adjustment on my pickup. Brakes? Really?

Quote:
And yet, hundreds of thousands of trailers and toads on the road every day with no brakes. Yet I fail to hear of the carnage. How can that be?
Fake news? Must be.
1974, I sold a truck to a man I served with. 2 nights later, he was hit head-on by a TT that had come unhooked.
1999, a van towing with a adapter 7 to 4, slides thru a intersection, hit front of my truck. My driver was fine, but what if he had got that LTL9000 thru the light, and a mini-van full of nuns had been there?
Yes, towing without brakes/break-a-way system is a choice. And the fact is, in a break-a-way situation, people in the vehicle are not very likely to be hurt, all the is on others. But to reduce the risk, cost the ones pulling the trailer. Better just buy insurance, let the company buy a new rider for the Christmas bicycle.
And to hear about the wrecks, the reporting agency would need to somehow sort out which could be avoided by operating brakes. And most news reports "this accident happened" or more likely "traffic jam because of". After any investigation, unless a CMV is at fault, the News never says "The wreck on ##/##/## was caused by...."
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:07 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
I think he wants opinions on CARS not BRAKING.

BINGO !!!!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:07 PM   #66

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
I think he wants opinions on CARS not BRAKING.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
BINGO !!!!
If you go back and look at Post #1, the OP started it with a wrong statement:

During my research phase, I learned anything under 3000 pounds doesn't need a braking system.

I pointed out there are States that require braking for under 1,500 lbs. and many states require breakaway brakes. As someone else noted, Newton's Laws are in effect all over the known Universe.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:32 PM   #67

A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still!
Old 10-11-2018, 02:49 PM   #68

I pulled a Mini Cooper convertible behind my 1996 HR DP for several years. I had a complete air actuated braking system on it coming from the HR. It towed very well, but I wouldn’t have pulled it without the braking system in place. Also, I could be incorrect but, I believe it weighs more than 3000 pounds.....(fuel, etc.)
Jxfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:28 PM   #69

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
If you really want cheap toad, look for an old Saturn sedan or Chevy Tracker 2 door convertable or 4 door SUV. You need a brake system...my state says anything over 2,000 lbs has to have brakes and breakaway switch. The risk is too great without it.

The problem is that the base plate, tow bar, brake system, lights etc will amount to more cost than the car, and it is vehicle-specific so if the car craps out, you need a new base plate.

A cheaper but more cumbersome solution is a tow dolly with electric brakes. Camping World sells Roadmaster for $1,700, but do not buy there. Used available everywhere and much cheaper. Gives you more choices of what you can tow...except for All-Wheel-Drive and heavy SUV's. If you are not using every day for every trip, strapping it down may not be such a PITA to you.
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
Hello -

Looking for suggestions/information on getting a toad - a fun, easy and CHEAP toad

My situation is -

Typically we trailer the HD with us everywhere we go.. however, during early spring and late fall outings, the weather may not be conducive to bring the bike and we'd like another option. This might mean using this option once or twice a year..

During my research phase, I learned anything under 3000 pounds doesn't need a braking system. That led me to look at Mini Coopers. I like the looks.. they seem fun to drive - but I've heard/read horror stories on reliability and expensive repairs.

So - I'm not looking for the best/most popular - I'm looking for cheap and easy.. The other side of the equation, this will be my kids daily driver. I figure if I'm going to have an extra car, I might as well put it to good use..

So, what is a cheap, fairly reliable car I can have as a daily driver for my kids?

Let me know what you have !! Oh, and I already know about Jeeps.. I'm not the biggest fan.. I'm looking for other options I may not have considered
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:05 PM   #70

yo drive have a 2012 Fiat Sport 5 speed. 2240 lbs and fun and fun to drive. Plenty of room for 2 and I'm 6'3" 275lbs. Great mileage and good performance. No repairs except the inevitable recall. (Clutch linkage)
elgordo302 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad