Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:53 AM   #15
Community Moderator

i stayed in a dry camping area this past summer. the gentleman next me had 1600w solar and charged his leaf out of it. on his window, there was a sticker saying "58% enegy from solar".
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2016, 12:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
i stayed in a dry camping area this past summer. the gentleman next me had 1600w solar and charged his leaf out of it. on his window, there was a sticker saying "58% enegy from solar".
Well, assuming he turns it into AC and then powers an 8 amp charging brick it would work but it would be slow.

Some of the CHADEMO DC fast chargers are stand alone stations and are hooked to some fairly large arrays. Some are only functional in sunshine and some have battery backup like the TESLA power wall. Tesla has some super charger locations that are completely solar powered.

We are presently in Palm Springs and there is a SOLAR powered CHADEMO or Level 2 station here.but we have never been there. We will probably check it out some day. There are a lot of level two stations here and many in shopping areas so fast charge is not required to often.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 12:01 PM   #17

Same ole same ole. As the saying goes trust but verify. And the newest topic recently is Fake News.

Radar,
That pic looks funny. You could probably just hang the smart car off a ladder and ditch the trailer
Old 12-21-2016, 12:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Same ole same ole. As the saying goes trust but verify. And the newest topic recently is Fake News.

Radar,
That pic looks funny. You could probably just hang the smart car off a ladder and ditch the trailer
Heh heh. Yah, it's itty bitty. Saw a guy with an IDAHO tote type thing carry one though. Kinda cool.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:17 PM   #19
Community Moderator

interesting... there have never been short of those staying at the bottom of group who believe the world is this big as what they see... pathetic .

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
Well, assuming he turns it into AC and then powers an 8 amp charging brick it would work but it would be slow.

Some of the CHADEMO DC fast chargers are stand alone stations and are hooked to some fairly large arrays. Some are only functional in sunshine and some have battery backup like the TESLA power wall. Tesla has some super charger locations that are completely solar powered.

We are presently in Palm Springs and there is a SOLAR powered CHADEMO or Level 2 station here.but we have never been there. We will probably check it out some day. There are a lot of level two stations here and many in shopping areas so fast charge is not required to often.
radar,
it's doable with self installed solar system to charge your ev, especially in a desert. i wish i had taken a pic about what my neighbor was doing... inspired by him, i came back and enlarged my capacity from 1440w to 2160w. here are pics (i guess i don't have to prove anything just for your fun ):

top view. one at the right hand side of the rear a/c shroud is not shown. these panels are 240w each:

side view. 4 on each side, one at the front above the eyebrows, so total 9 panels. i could have installed 2 more - one at the center, another to the left of the rear a/c shroud. but it would block the access to the front a/c. i decided not to go that far...

by the way, i just came back from getting the c-max energi. drove two hours on highway, super smooth and fun. when i got the car, it showed 130mpg. i drove on highwayn at 80mph the gas engine was running all the time, so the mpg dropped to 119. still impressive.

for those nay-sayers, you are welcome to skip
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:25 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
interesting... there have never been short of those staying at the bottom of group who believe the world is this big as what he sees... pathetic .

radar,
it's doable with self installed solar system to charge your ev, especially in a desert. i wish i had taken a pic about what my neighbor was doing... inspired by him, i came back and enlarged my capacity from 1440w to 2160w. here are pics (i guess i don't have to prove anything just for your fun ):

top view. one at the right hand side of the rear a/c shroud is not shown. these panels are 240w each:

side view. 4 on each side, one at the front above the eyebrow, so total 9 panels. i could install 2 more - one at the center, another to the left of the rear a/c shroud. but it would block the access to the front a/c. i decided not to go that far...

by the way, i just came back from getting the c-max energi. drove two hours on highway, super smooth and fun. when i got the car, it showed 130mpg. i drove on highwayn at 80mph the gas engine was running all the time, so the mpg dropped to 119. still impressive.

for those nay-sayers, you are welcome to skip
Wow. Very nice job on the install. We have an 800 watt system but have never tried to charge either of our vehicles from the coach. Quite simply we just don't have enough capacity for that. That and it has never come up. We seem to be in spots where there are always charge stations available. We do carry our 30 amp 220 volt EVSE with us though. Installed it in the front compartment of the coach. We use it often.

Our friends had a C-Max and loved it. They retired from the RV lifestyle and sold it and bought a TESLA S. Great car but a tad out of my price range.

Enjoy. Stay safe on the road.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:30 PM   #21

as a discussion with my son the other day, who loves the electric car fad, I had an interesting question, as it ties in our RV Motor Coach experience with the idea of owning a future 'Tesla' or similar electric vehicle...

why not suggest that electric vehicle manufacturers build into each vehicle trunk a small generator?
the trunks go unused in these vehicles, since no engine takes up the space, and
a small 'Honda e2000' or similar generator come in small packages...
if this type of generator was built in, or at least an option, the driver would then have the critical 'back up' plan if no other charging options were available, or worse, you are stuck in stop and go interstate traffic for hours with no way to exit or charge.

...and, add an alternator run by the rotation of the axle and you may then have a full self-sustaining electric vehicle.

seems like a plan to me... : )
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 05:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
as a discussion with my son the other day, who loves the electric car fad, I had an interesting question, as it ties in our RV Motor Coach experience with the idea of owning a future 'Tesla' or similar electric vehicle...

why would electric vehicle manufacturers build in the trunk a small generator?
the trunks are unused in these vehicles, since no engine takes up the space, and
if this type of generator was built in, or at least an option, the driver would then have
the critical 'back up' plan if no other charging options were available, or worse, you are
stuck in stop and go interstate traffic for hours with no way to exit or charge.

Howdy Mr T. There is a company doing exactly that. BMW makes the I3. It is an electric vehicle with a built in range extender utilizing a 657 two cylinder engine to generate power to charge the battery. They are pricey (around 50K) and have mixed reviews. Technically they are a form of hibrid. We like the styling but the drive was not as good as our leaf...in our opinion. They have smaller trunk room although the interior is nicely appointed. Besides being more than 24000 dollars more than our leaf we also didn't like the idea of having to maintain a gas engine. A straigh electric needs no oil changes, no filters, no hoses, no belts, brakes very seldom because of regenerative braking. Washer fluid once a year pretty much covers it. The battery range is about the same as our leaf (180 to 200 KM) but of course you can extend that with the little on board generator. For us we simply would never need the extra range. All the corridors we travel in have DC fast chargers so even if we make a longer trip a 20 minute break every hour and a half won't bother us. Having said that, it hasn't happened yet so...

Everybody has different needs though. The I3 is a nice ride. Check it out.

Here is a link to the wiki on it.

http://https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_i3
Old 12-21-2016, 05:54 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post

why not suggest that electric vehicle manufacturers build into each vehicle trunk a small generator?
the trunks go unused in these vehicles, since no engine takes up the space, and
if this type of generator was built in, or at least an option, the driver would then have the critical 'back up' plan if no other charging options were available, or worse, you are stuck in stop and go interstate traffic for hours with no way to exit or charge.

...and, add an alternator run by the rotation of the axle and you may then have a full self-sustaining electric vehicle.

You just described a BMW i3 with the optional gasoline range extender engine/generator. It is basically a self contained module that drops into the cargo bay of the car. My buddy has one and has done a 250 mile trip with it with cruise set at 70 and the A/C running, although he primarily purchased it as a city car. Gas tank is tiny, at only 1.9 gallons, so he stopped 3 times for fuel on the 250 mile trip.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:46 PM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
Howdy Mr T. There is a company doing exactly that. BMW makes the I3. It is an electric vehicle with a built in range extender utilizing a 657 two cylinder engine to generate power to charge the battery. They are pricey (around 50K) and have mixed reviews. Technically they are a form of hibrid. We like the styling but the drive was not as good as our leaf...in our opinion. They have smaller trunk room although the interior is nicely appointed. Besides being more than 24000 dollars more than our leaf we also didn't like the idea of having to maintain a gas engine. A straigh electric needs no oil changes, no filters, no hoses, no belts, brakes very seldom because of regenerative braking. Washer fluid once a year pretty much covers it. The battery range is about the same as our leaf (180 to 200 KM) but of course you can extend that with the little on board generator. For us we simply would never need the extra range. All the corridors we travel in have DC fast chargers so even if we make a longer trip a 20 minute break every hour and a half won't bother us. Having said that, it hasn't happened yet so...

Everybody has different needs though. The I3 is a nice ride. Check it out.

Here is a link to the wiki on it.

http://https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_i3
You are exactly correct. Everybody has different needs. While the i3 is indeed more expensive than the Leaf when new, there are a ton of them currently coming off of 2 year leases and flooding the market. My buddy got his 2014 i3 with only 12k miles, fully loaded, including the gas range extender, for $22k, which is less than half the new price. After driving it I tried to talk my wife into one to replace her BMW 7 series, since she had wanted to downsize anyway, but I couldn't get her to buy in (she got a 535i xDrive instead). But I love his i3. Unlike a hybrid like the Chevy Volt, it is designed to be a true electric, but with the option of the "range anxiety" eliminating gas range extender option. For us that would mean that 95% of the time our driving would be electric only, but we would also be able to use the i3 for our "Costco run", which requires us to make a 120 mile round trip. That trip wouldn't be feasible with a Leaf or even with the i3 without the range extender option. Heck, we could even drive it to visit our son who lives about 225 miles away if we felt the need.

So, yes, everybody's needs/desires are different. Another friend just ordered a new Tesla P75, which is an amazing car, but at quite a price. And the son of another of our friends just bought a new Tesla X SUV. You can pick up low miles, gently used Leaf's and even first generation Volts for around $10k-$12k, so there are lots of options for most every price range. Almost cheap enough to convince me to sell my 2001 Honda Civic run-a-bout and buy an electric, but when I'm getting 38-40 mpg out of the Civic, it's hard for me to justify it. It would be just because I want an electric, not because I could justify it with any kind of payback.

Then again, driving that i3 was really cool! Driving all around town, stopping at stop signs and red lights just by letting off on the "gas" pedal and never touching the brake. Lots of torque to squirt away from stop lights. What a hoot!
Old 12-21-2016, 09:02 PM   #25

Yepir. EV's are addictive. And yes there are some good deals out there on used ones The deals at this time of year are good on new ones though so we bought a left over 2016. It also has the bigger battery.

There are three brand new i3's down at the local dealer. Nice colours this year.

Good luck with your quest to replace the honda. When you get your i3 put up a picture. I love out of the ordinary looking cars. Hence our leaf and smart car. Let's use the word iconic looking. Sounds better than goofy looking right.