Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2020, 05:18 PM   #43

To put all of this in context for people (like me) who have little practical experience with EV's:

In a park in which electric is metered and charged to the renter, how much would it cost to plug in and fully charge a typical (is there such a thing?) EV that was almost completely dead on arrival?

Are we talking $10 or $100?

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2020, 05:40 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post
To put all of this in context for people (like me) who have little practical experience with EV's:

In a park in which electric is metered and charged to the renter, how much would it cost to plug in and fully charge a typical (is there such a thing?) EV that was almost completely dead on arrival?

In the case of a Tesla, you get about 4 miles for every kilowatt. So if you need to recharge for 200 miles, you will need 50 kilowatts.
The park can charge what they want per kw. but at 25 cents a kw, about $12.50. But depends where the park is. Down where I live, sometimes less the 15 cents per kw, and at the house about 10 cents.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:45 PM   #45

Quote:

It depends on the electric rate. If my Tesla Model S was fully discharged and the electric rate was 10 cents per kilowatt hour it would cost $10.
redcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:12 PM   #46

For those who tow EV's and have a rig with a generator, you can charge your own EV battery , yes ?

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:16 PM   #47

The previously mentioned C-max has an 8kW battery. A full charge would probably consume 6.5-7.0kW’s. Similar to charging a 600ah bank of house batteries on a Class A, for example. Or running a 1500w portable heater for 4 hours. At 20 cents/kWh the cost would be less than $1.50.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:28 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford j View Post
For those who tow EV's and have a rig with a generator, you can charge your own EV battery , yes ?

CLIFFORD
I own a Plug-in Hybrid EV but don’t tow it. You could charge from a generator, although it wouldn’t be very efficient. My Onan diesel uses 1/2 gal/hr at half load. Using a Level 1 charger, which is 12A at 120v, I would gain ~8 miles of EV range per gallon of diesel, and everyone would have to breathe the exhaust.

My car, a Honda Clarity, has the ability to charge its own batteries while driving with the ICE in, what is called HV charge mode. The ICE actually powers a DC generator. Surprisingly, fuel economy does not decline significantly when doing this. It will charge a fully depleted battery up to 60% SOC in less than 1 hour. This adds ~30 miles of EV range back to the battery.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:30 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford j View Post

CLIFFORD
Yes, but a 10 kw gen fully loaded is only 10 kw. So in theory, charging 50 kw would take you 5 hours. If you are running ac's maybe 5 kw, so 10 hours. This is assuming you can get 240 volts off your generator.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:26 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Electric Vehicle Toad

Electric car use is new enough I don’t think rules have been thought out. My volt with empty battery can load 14 kw .. about a buck 40 to two bucks .. that gets me 50 miles. Not a big part of my 40 plus bucks nightly fee but....
I have used it as my full time toad for 21/2 years. Pulled on a American tow dolly . To answer the steering question , since the American has a turntable platform , I use the seat belt thru the bottom of the steering wheel to keep the wheel in check. Actually unless you do a sharp turn even that wouldn’t be needed.

I can only give my experience... I charge our volt via campground power included or paid for by the KW . Owners / Managers have seen it and I have never been questioned negatively. In fact I have been asked many many questions by mgmt and people interested in buying electric. The volt , no longer made , is a full time electric car with a on board generator that adds 350 miles at 42mpg on gas. Not the best hybrid mileage nor the best electric , due to carrying around a 1400cu generator and a larger battery pack than a hybrid. I have Absolutely no range anxiety. As it will drive forever on gas for longer trips
Say what you will , Every electric driver I have met won’t go back willingly to ICE ...power ,acceleration , quiet and much more. Campgrounds will need to decide how to handle this in the future ... for now it is what it is.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:34 PM   #51

So we're talking about $10 for the highest capacity EV's.

And if the CG's decide to simply drop that into overhead, it might raise everyone's rate by $1. Probably less, since EV's don't accompany 10% of campers.

More likely, if a CG has business sense, they'll see the growing trend as an opportunity, and you'll see paid charging stations popping up, and restrictions on charging outside of those stations.

This is all happening at the very start of a trend, in which the market hasn't yet hit on a way to capture the correct revenue from the situation. This stage never lasts long.

If people want to worry about fairness, talk instead about the rather large tax incentives being given to relatively rich EV buyers.

Old 01-02-2020, 07:54 PM   #52

Quote:

And if the CG's decide to simply drop that into overhead, it might raise everyone's rate by $1. Probably less, since EV's don't accompany 10% of campers.

More likely, if a CG has business sense, they'll see the growing trend as an opportunity, and you'll see paid charging stations popping up, and restrictions on charging outside of those stations.

This is all happening at the very start of a trend, in which the market hasn't yet hit on a way to capture the correct revenue from the situation. This stage never lasts long.

If people want to worry about fairness, talk instead about the rather large tax incentives being given to relatively rich EV buyers.
Trucks will have bigger batteries. 200 kWh ish. So if they arrived empty and power was 20 cents a kWh you would be looking at 40 bucks. A separate metered 240 connection would work well. The EV driver could use their own EVSE. No hardware required. We use our own EVSE unless we are at a commercial charger. It will be phased in slow. Do 10 sites first. A few years later do 10 more etc.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:58 PM   #53

Quote:

No tax incentives for Tesla anymore.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/micr...x-credit-tesla
Old 01-02-2020, 08:14 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcussen View Post
In the case of a Tesla, you get about 4 miles for every kilowatt. So if you need to recharge for 200 miles, you will need 50 kilowatts.
The park can charge what they want per kw. but at 25 cents a kw, about $12.50. But depends where the park is. Down where I live, sometimes less the 15 cents per kw, and at the house about 10 cents.
Parks can not charge what every they want in all states. To raise the rate charged from an electric company to your business you need a license to be a reseller. What this means in TX is that parks can only charge you the rate they pay for electric. Not to many have reseller license.

As far as charging at parks in my years full timing I only met one person that had a Chevy volt as their tow. No charges since they stayed monthly and paid for all electric used. Point is not many EV being used as tow. Adding the hassle of a trailer or dollie is not what most people are looking for. I look forward to the day they make an EV that can be towed four down. Think I may be dead before ir happens.

Enjoy the journey
Old 01-02-2020, 08:18 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
Trucks will have bigger batteries. 200 kWh ish. So if they arrived empty and power was 20 cents a kWh you would be looking at 40 bucks. A separate metered 240 connection would work well. The EV driver could use their own EVSE. No hardware required. We use our own EVSE unless we are at a commercial charger. It will be phased in slow. Do 10 sites first. A few years later do 10 more etc.
It’ll be interesting to see how many of those EV trucks actually make it to the campground with a 10,000lb trailer in tow.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:51 PM   #56

"Parks can not charge what every they want in all states."

True. I was envisioning more of a situation where established resellers go to CG locations and offer to install their own equipment and handle all details while paying the CG a fee.

My understanding is that those guys can charge whatever the market will bear. It won't be an outrageous kW fee - it'll be a normal kW fee plus a facility fee.

"Trucks will have bigger batteries."

I'm no big fan of the current EV situation for various reasons, but you do touch on the one great thing about it - as an RV'er, I'll be one of the first large beneficiaries of the progress they've forced in battery development. Every dollar that someone puts into developing better truck batteries is going to eventually benefit me. So, just for that, Yay, EV's!

Tags
electric, toad