Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2020, 08:54 PM   #57

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby F View Post

If people want to worry about fairness, talk instead about the rather large tax incentives being given to relatively rich EV buyers.
How about the 107 year old law allowing oil companies to take 15% percent oil depletion allowance. This in some cases allows oil companies to pay low or no federal tax even while making record high profits. All of us make up for that fat cat give away. Many segments get fat tax breaks of some type. IMO- many should be retired.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2020, 09:08 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
To me, it's the principle of the practice of taking electric power from a campground to propel a vehicle down the road without payment. If it's ok to do that, shouldn't I be able to drain a few gallons of gas out of the campground owners tank to power my ICE vehicle too? How is that any different??
Just to clarify, are you saying it's okay if I take 40kWh to re-charge the battery in this RV: https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/202...5JA-5008295632 but it's not okay to take the same amount of electricity to charge the battery in a toad?
Sipester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:11 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperbob11 View Post
Parks can not charge what every they want in all states. To raise the rate charged from an electric company to your business you need a license to be a reseller. What this means in TX is that parks can only charge you the rate they pay for electric. Not to many have reseller license.

As far as charging at parks in my years full timing I only met one person that had a Chevy volt as their tow. No charges since they stayed monthly and paid for all electric used. Point is not many EV being used as tow. Adding the hassle of a trailer or dollie is not what most people are looking for. I look forward to the day they make an EV that can be towed four down. Think I may be dead before ir happens.

Enjoy the journey
Don't know about that. Stayed at a park in Ingleside Tx. and had my own meter. Was charged 20 cents a kwh. Owner read the meter once a week and put it on my credit card. Pretty sure he got the commercial rate, it was a 90 site park, which was about 7 cents. My rate at home about 200 mile away in Texas was about 11 cents a kwh.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:11 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
It’ll be interesting to see how many of those EV trucks actually make it to the campground with a 10,000lb trailer in tow.
It seems right now the electtic trucks are aimed at the F150 crowd. I would suspect smaller trailers around the 5000 to 8000 pound range for the first while.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:13 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
How about the 107 year old law allowing oil companies to take 15% percent oil depletion allowance. This in some cases allows oil companies to pay low or no federal tax even while making record high profits. All of us make up for that fat cat give away.
Well, be fair. When I buy a new truck for work, I get to depreciate the value of that truck over its life and I get a deduction for that. Isn't that the same thing?

Oil companies put a lot of capital into the infrastructure with which to develop bodies of underground oil. They have to purchase the property rights to that oil as a capital asset. The current value of that underground asset gets smaller every year as they pull oil out. It's the same principle that gives me the tax deduction for depreciation of my truck.

I suppose we can argue over the exact number that ought to be used - higher or lower than the 15% you quoted - but the principle of the depletion credit is correct, or at least consistent with how we handle every other revenue-producing asset.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:58 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sipester View Post
Just to clarify, are you saying it's okay if I take 40kWh to re-charge the battery in this RV: https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/202...5JA-5008295632 but it's not okay to take the same amount of electricity to charge the battery in a toad?
Gee, let me think about that. How many MH's coming into a campground at the end of the day will have dead or depleted house batteries?? Probably none, as they have been charged by the nice 450 Cummins all day long. Everyone has their opinion as to what is right along with their justifications for what they do. I suspect that if RV park owners were asked if their rates were established to include charging EVs along with the electrical load of the motorhome, their answer would be NO. At metered sites, there is no issue. At parks where the owner authorizes it, no problem. I do have a problem with the guy at an unmetered site without permission who thinks it's ok to take electricity to power his toad down the road when he needs it.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:58 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
As in all cases of business I would think it is up to the owner of the RV park to determine how they will recoup their costs and make a profit. As consumers we may not like the solution they come up with but we can vote with our feet on what we think of their policies.

While we can speculate I anticipate many older parks will not be able to deal with the increased power requirements if it becomes that a "fleet" of electric toads are trying to recharge each evening and night.

There have been some concerns expressed that the amount of additional parking spots is falling behind the number of RV being produced. Users who want to charge electric vehicles overnight may be limited in the number of parks that will accept them. In which case ICE owners will have less competition for space.

This may all be moot. I believe that as long as government pushes for "green" electric solutions there may be some increases in electric vehicles. Once the subsidies end and the total carbon cost is determined electric may pass as a fad.
Well said.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EEE6BBBA-731C-45E3-8E8B-3EC0D0EA95D1.jpeg
Views:	23
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	271252  
Old 01-03-2020, 08:54 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
It seems right now the electtic trucks are aimed at the F150 crowd. I would suspect smaller trailers around the 5000 to 8000 pound range for the first while.
Rivian has announced an 11,000lb towing capacity, Ford will not go quietly into the night without meeting or exceeding that figure. This will inevitably lead to someone connecting a 5-figure trailer to their 6-figure electric truck.

Throw in some cold weather, which can reduce range by 30%, some hills or mountain passes along with a trailer that weighs more than the truck, and that hypothetical range of 500 miles probably won’t make 200.

After a recharge, they’ll leave the trailer where it sits and head back to the dealer for the ICE version.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:00 AM   #65

Quote:
Rivian has announced an 11,000lb towing capacity, Ford will not go quietly into the night without meeting or exceeding that figure. This will inevitably lead to someone connecting a 5-figure trailer to their 6-figure electric truck.

Throw in some cold weather, which can reduce range by 30%, some hills or mountain passes along with a trailer that weighs more than the truck, and that hypothetical range of 500 miles probably won’t make 200.

After a recharge, they’ll leave the trailer where it sits and head back to the dealer for the ICE version.
Meh. Most people will be informed on the limitations. Most people towing in our neck of the woods don’t need more than about 300 km of towing range and most trailers are around the 22 to 25 foot length or they won’t fit into the forestry sites. On the road by 5 on Friday night, set up with beer in hand by 7 pm. Headed home after lunch on Sunday. Not much winter towing. They won’t work for everyone but they will for a lot. The advantages far outway the disadvantages...especially when none of the disadvantages apply to your situation.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:58 AM   #66

Quote:
Meh. Most people will be informed on the limitations. Most people towing in our neck of the woods don’t need more than about 300 km of towing range and most trailers are around the 22 to 25 foot length or they won’t fit into the forestry sites. On the road by 5 on Friday night, set up with beer in hand by 7 pm. Headed home after lunch on Sunday. Not much winter towing. They won’t work for everyone but they will for a lot. The advantages far outway the disadvantages...especially when none of the disadvantages apply to your situation.
You give people more credit than I do. They will expect the truck to perform as advertised. If they are capable of being flat towed, some may enter an RV park behind a motorhome. Few will arrive in front of a trailer.

Like most 1/2-ton trucks, they will become daily drivers and rarely, if ever, be used to perform truck-like duties. $70K-100K is quite a sum to drop on a vehicle to tow a small TT to the forest for a couple of weekends each year.

And here in the US, the weekend warrior is a macho man with a young family, who is unlikely to part with his ICE truck.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:26 AM   #67

Quote:
You give people more credit than I do. They will expect the truck to perform as advertised. If they are capable of being flat towed, some may enter an RV park behind a motorhome. Few will arrive in front of a trailer.

Like most 1/2-ton trucks, they will become daily drivers and rarely, if ever, be used to perform truck-like duties. $70K-100K is quite a sum to drop on a vehicle to tow a small TT to the forest for a couple of weekends each year.

And here in the US, the weekend warrior is a macho man with a young family, who is unlikely to part with his ICE truck.
The price is more along the lines of 40 to 70 thousand. And macho men may change their tune when the get their a$$ handed to them by a Rivian or Cybertruck. .

Around here it’s from May long weekend to September long weekend and people are off to the lake come Friday at 5. A 60 thousand dollar truck pulling a 20,000 dollar trailer. .
Old 01-03-2020, 12:12 PM   #68

Quote:
The price is more along the lines of 40 to 70 thousand. And macho men may change their tune when the get their a$$ handed to them by a Rivian or Cybertruck. .

Around here it’s from May long weekend to September long weekend and people are off to the lake come Friday at 5. A 60 thousand dollar truck pulling a 20,000 dollar trailer. .
Wrong!

The Rivian starts at $69K US, for the 230 mile range model. After the owner burns some of those precious miles beating an ICE truck down the on ramp he’ll be looking for a charging station within 100 miles. Meanwhile, macho man will have a beer in hand and burgers on the grill at the campground. The Ford is estimated to be near $100K.

EV’s make great urban commuters. They’re not cut out for much else.

On a side note, every Tesla I’ve seen being transported or delivered in CA, OR and AZ, is being moved by a diesel truck.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:20 PM   #69

Don’t know about the Rivian. Seems to me the cybertruck is around seventy something for the 500 mile range. (Non towing).

They would have to make a lot of improvements to an ice truck before it was competitive with the cybertruck specs...not to mention the extra facility, secure storage, load mode, low operating costs, performance, no stink, no noise, not gutless etc etc. If towing range is your only thing you are stuck with ice.

To each his own.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:26 AM   #70

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

Watched a video of a father and son with a Tesla X towing a trailer attempting to meet the schedule the computer said it could do. About half way there they dropped the trailer.

Tags
electric, toad