Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-23-2021, 04:06 PM   #1

Electrical gremlin has me scratching my head...Help!

I've got a 2020 Jeep Wrangler that I tow behind my Forest River/Forester Class C. I'm using an NSA Readybrute Elite II for my towbar. I wired up the 7 pin RV plug to work with a 6 pin round plug on the Jeep. I added the LED kit to the dashboard of the RV to show me when the brakes were being applied on the Jeep. Due to the way the new Jeeps are wired and are so fully computerized I had to add an additional brake light switch on the arm of the brake pedal. When the brake is applied it opens the switch which powers the 3rd brake light (it won't illuminate with the Curt wiring harness) and sends the electric signal to the LED on the dash to light up. It works perfectly....except when the running lights are on for the RV. During the day when the sun is out it's no problem. Come darkness/bad weather and the lights go on the LED on the dash lights up and stays on. It scared me at first as I thought the brakes were applied. Then I started experimenting and if I shut off the running lights on the RV the LED would go out. I just got home and checked the 6 pin end of the cable from the RV. I checked it both for 12v and for continuity to see if I had a short somewhere. Checked it with the RV lights on and the RV lights off. The 7 way to 6 way cable is a Hopkins that has a built in led that glows when the lights are turned on. Only difference is when the lights on the RV are on the LEDs in the Hopkins harness are illuminated. Couldn't find anything wrong or incorrect. I'm trying to figure out if that's the culprit. The 3rd brakelight on the Jeep is isolated from the regular brake lights on the Jeep. I ran a wire from the additional brake switch back to the tailgate and added a brake light flasher in-line for the 3rd brake light. The OEM wire is not plugged in to it so I don't see how there could be any feedback from there. Anyway, anyone want to suggest what I should look at? I'm stumped!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2021, 05:40 PM   #2

It sounds like the dash brake LED is being powered on by the running lights. That would normally indicate a wiring mistake. Do you have diagrams for the 7pin plug to the 6 pin plug? Us the cable between the 2 plugs 7 conductor or 6 conductor. have you verified that you Jeep brake light come on when the Rv brake is used?
andy29847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
It sounds like the dash brake LED is being powered on by the running lights. That would normally indicate a wiring mistake. Do you have diagrams for the 7pin plug to the 6 pin plug? Us the cable between the 2 plugs 7 conductor or 6 conductor. have you verified that you Jeep brake light come on when the Rv brake is used?
7 pin is RV standard. I used the center pin on the 6 pin plug which connects to the #4 pin on the RV end. I ran the wire from the dash LED to pin#4 -no other wires at that pin. On the Jeep the brake lights go on when the RV brakes are applied. Iím suspicious of the LEDs that light up in the plug/cable assembly. The Jeep feed line is a dedicated line separate from the Jeepís wiring harness.
CaptainSkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:06 AM   #4

I'm not an expert. I'm just trying to rason through what is happening. You say your 7 pin plug is RV standard. Have you verified that?

andy29847 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 11:20 AM   #5

OK here's my wiring diagram, please excuse the chicken scratches on it.
On the RV side the dedicated wire - there's nothing else attached - goes from pin#2 to the LED on the dash. The Hopkin plug harness doesn't have any pin in the center of the plug on the 7 way side for pin#7 so disregard that one. The RV side despite being a 7 pin plug only has 6 pins. On the Jeep side pin#2 from the RV side connects to pin#2 on the Jeep side - don't go by the colors, I checked with an ohm meter to see which line had continuity. On pin#2 on the Jeep the only wire attached is the separate wire that goes to the extra switch on the brake pedal arm and also to the 3rd brake light on the rear, which is no longer connected to the Jeep OEM wiring. Something else I just thought of, the 6 way plug is mounted under the front bumper on the Jeep. I drove through some torrential rain on the way home. What's the chances of water from the road splashing up and getting past the plug into the socket and shorting out the connection between the tail lights (pin#4 on the top of the plug) and pin#2 in the center? Like I said, I'm at a loss here as to what it might be. The entire circuit is separate from the Jeep and RV wiring from the brake switch in the Jeep to the LED on the RV dash.

I did try something else, I plugged the harness into the Jeep and checked the 7 way plug with my meter. No voltage anywhere however there was continuity from the ground to all pins but that's to be expected (I think) as they all share a common ground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9678.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	344045  
Old 09-24-2021, 12:42 PM   #6

The LED on your dash illuminates when the running lights are turned on. The power wire for that dash LED is within the umbilical cord from the RV to the Jeep. Plug the cord into the RV, but don't plug it into the Jeep socket. Now, turn on the RV lights and see what happens. If necessary, ground the umbilical cord at the disconnected 6 pin end at the proper pin hole.

If the dash LED does not light, the problem is not within the cord.
If the dash LED lights, the cord is the issue.

Now, if the dash LED does not light, apply 12v to the pin hole at the Jeep end of the cord for the dash LED and see if it lights. It should. This is just a test to confirm the operation of the dash LED. It also will confirm that the dash LED is being powered by the pin in the Jeep, through some feedback from the running lights.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 05:15 PM   #7

Thanks for all the input. I got it figured out, the connector on the Jeep side was full of water. I tried everything else and ended up taking the connector apart. When I did the water poured out of it. I thought I had it sealed up properly when I installed it but not so much. Cleaned up the connections and dried it all out. This time I put a good coating of liquid electrical tape in all the connections to seal them completely. Put everything back together and hooked the cable up to the motor home. All is as it should be and itís working properly. At least I know where to look first if it happens again.

Just trying to figure out if the water gets in past the cable plug or down the wires. I left a drip loop before the connector behind the bumper, hopefully that will help. Would it be a good idea to squirt some dielectric grease into the connector before putting in the plug to help block any water splashed up from the road?
CaptainSkip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical, scr