Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-05-2020, 06:09 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Equinox 2015 AWD

We have a 2015 Equinox AWD that is tow-able 4 down. I purchased a blue ox tow bar and base plate. I will install the plate as a winter project and do the wiring as well. The manual shows to pull fuse #32 a 5 amp and all is good. When I pull the fuse to cut off power to the dash it also cuts power to the 12v socket that I will plug my Patriot brake controller into. I checked the 12 volt outlet in the back and it stays on with the fuse pulled, so I will purchase a 10 ft 12 volt extension. How much current is required to run the Patriot and will this run down the battery in a short period of time?
Also trying to find a grommet to go through the firewall to run my "break a way" wire. It doesn't look like much space to available.
Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2020, 06:23 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes you need to install a separate line from the battery to a second lighter connection.

Yes it will run the battery down over time, I installed a separate charge line from the MH to the Equinox I tow. It works great. If you stop every 4 hours as the manual for your car recommends you will likely, by running the car keep the battery charged.

I found it easier to have a charge line on a 10amp breaker to keep the battery up so I don’t have to worry over it.

Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 06:23 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
On my 2016 Equinox the rear plug does does stay hot, but I did not think using an extension cord would be good for my brake buddy, so I ran another wire with my wire for the break-away and leave it coiled up under my seat. Watch the video to install the base plate and it is a pretty easy job to install.
Old 11-05-2020, 06:28 PM   #4
NXR

Attached is the revised towing procedure for the 2010 - 2017 Equinox, 4 cylinder only, from Chevrolet. Pulling fuse #32 ended up causing a "death wobble" condition so it stays in now. A different fuse gets pulled to disable the anti-lock brakes. Your model year now requires that fuse #16 be pulled instead if it is a 4-cylinder.

Your bigger issue is that the Equinox pulls almost 8 amps from the battery when configured for flat towing. You must install a battery charge line from the motorhome. That will alleviate any concerns about the battery going dead for any reason.

HTH,

Ray
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Equinox Terrain revised flat towing.pdf (17.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 11-05-2020, 06:50 PM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
Thanks NXR for the information on the fuse. I spoke with an RV'r that tows an Equinox and he stated he only pulled the #32 fuse. Not sure if he had a 4 cyl or 6 cyl?
Did you experience this wobble? I watched a video with a Grand Cherokee with the wobble. Not good.
Old 11-05-2020, 07:06 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Attached is the revised towing procedure for the 2010 - 2017 Equinox, 4 cylinder only, from Chevrolet. Pulling fuse #32 ended up causing a "death wobble" condition so it stays in now. A different fuse gets pulled to disable the anti-lock brakes. Your model year now requires that fuse #16 be pulled instead if it is a 4-cylinder.

Your bigger issue is that the Equinox pulls almost 8 amps from the battery when configured for flat towing. You must install a battery charge line from the motorhome. That will alleviate any concerns about the battery going dead for any reason.

HTH,

Ray

You are correct on both items! Pull fuse #16 or put relay in to do it.
Draws 8amp sitting still! I think the electric steering kicks in when in motion drawing more amperage! I never could maintain battery in toad using the 7 wire cord. I took a set of #6-8 jumper cables cut ends off and added plugins, I've never had a dead battery since. 2015 Equinox 4cyl
Old 11-05-2020, 07:26 PM   #7
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
Thanks NXR for the information on the fuse. I spoke with an RV'r that tows an Equinox and he stated he only pulled the #32 fuse. Not sure if he had a 4 cyl or 6 cyl?
Did you experience this wobble? I watched a video with a Grand Cherokee with the wobble. Not good.
No. I have a 2020 AWD and the 2018 - 2020 models have a redesigned electrical system so no fuse needs to be pulled.

The Owner's Manual pre-2018 did in fact specify fuse #32 but that bulletin changed the procedure due to reported problems and the follow-up investigation. I take it you do have a 4-cylinder?

From posts I've read the issue would crop up on rough roads at low speeds, such as construction zones with narrow lanes between concrete barriers, so nowhere that could raise your stress level. . It had something to do with a "return to center" function as I vaguely recall.

You can verify the new procedure with your dealer.

In case someone adds a comment that they've never pulled any fuses or still pull fuse #32 on a pre-2018 4-cylinder and have never had a problem, I'm sure they're telling the truth. But as my statistics instructor used to say "A sample size of one is poor statistics."

There had to be enough validated occurrences for Chevrolet/GMC to investigate the issue and release a revised procedure.

FWIW,

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WhyTakeAChance.PNG
Views:	20
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	307027  
Old 11-05-2020, 10:13 PM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
Fuse #32 needs not to be pulled, but #16 does?
#16 is an ABS fuse.
Would this really have to be pulled as many have towed without removing this fuse and only #32.
Has anyone left all fuses in place and not had an issue?
Whats the purpose of removing a ABS fuse?
I would not think the abs would ever come into play as the bulletin does not indicate that a supplemental brake system is being used.
The wobble is only at low speeds during turning?
So many questions.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:05 PM   #9

Triple E Owners Club
I am posting this to help with the Equinox towing issue, as different model years have slightly different issues with "Wobble" Some have this and some don't.
I wanted to find more info on the purpose of removing fuse #15 or #16 ABS and the reason is explained below. I myself questioned this sequence as I have an inquiring mind. I believe most of us do and that's why we use this forum.

Thanks to those that have viewed this post regarding 2010 to present Equinox's as there has been lots of others asking the same questions. It may seem redundant to some, but for the ones that have this vehicle its not. To make things more interesting, this applies to 4 cyl AWD models.
Thanks again.

Posted November 7, 2017
Last week GM released its revised flat towing procedure for the 2010-2017 Chevy Equinox and GMC Terrain. That brought questions from some of you. Below are GM’s responses. People who own a 2010 Equinox should pay particular attention to question #5.

When using the new flat towing procedure, will the odometer accumulate mileage?
No, the odometer will not accumulate.

2. Why is it not possible to flat tow the 2018 Terrain? Isn’t it the same as the Equinox?

The electronic transmission shift control in the 2018 Terrain precludes dinghy towing at this time. We are exploring methods that will potentially allow dinghy towing in the future.

3. I wonder if removal of the ABS fuse (fuse 16) is a safety issue since many dinghy auxiliary braking systems will activate the ABS system on the dinghy when required in panic conditions.

The removal of the ABS fuse is to disable the active return feature of the electric power steering to allow the wheels to steer more freely during tight turns at low speed. Auxiliary brake controllers should be set up to provide appropriate braking force for the given conditions and not rely on ABS, just like any other trailer. Most trailers do not have ABS.

4. Some of us have been towing the Equinox without pulling any fuses. What, if any, problems might this pose?

There will potentially be too much steering resistance or centering causing tires to scrub around low speed tight turns. See question 3.

5. Step 2 in the GM service bulletin says to remove fuse 16, the Antilock Brake System Module fuse from the engine compartment fuse block. However, my 2010 Equinox owner’s manual shows fuse 15 as the Antilock Brake System Module fuse. – Steve Gaines.

We are correcting this error in the service bulletin. Thank you for the feedback. Fuse 15 is indeed the ABS module fuse, which is the one to remove for 2010 Equinox. Later years its #16.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:12 PM   #10
NXR

Nice find.

Ray
Old 11-15-2020, 08:58 AM   #11

Please see revised bulletin Document ID: 4890214 from GM that requires you now remove fuse 16 only... Attention: This Bulletin applies only to 4 cylinder vehicles due to the use of
electric power steering system.
Seabee ACB1 is offline   Reply With Quote