Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-29-2020, 04:47 PM   #1

Equinox Trouble Codes

In Motorhome Magazine July 2020 edition under "Tech Savvy" there is inquiry pertaining to Equinox Trouble Codes. The owner was told when he took it to a Chevy dealer that it had 74 trouble codes and was told the Equinox was not a good vehicle to tow and should be dolly towed. We just bought a 2020 Equinox LT 2.0 turbo. We checked with a Chevy tech at the factory customer service center and was told the Equinox was flat wheel towable as shown in the manual. When researching what to tow we found it not unusual for a dealer to not know the Equinox was towable.

When we bought the Equinox we were offered a 7 year bumper to bumper coverage, which according to the finance guy covered everything except tires and battery. Cost was $1040.00. I'm not a fan of extended service plans so I declined. Now I'm beginning to wonder if I made a mistake. In a way what we are now driving is nothing more than a motorized computer. No one fixes anything anymore, they just replace parts, expensive computer parts. My question is: Based on your experience is there a problem towing the Equinox and is reliability such that the extended coverage should be purchased?

Thanks,
RJ
RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2020, 05:32 PM   #2

I have towed my Equinox over 25,000 miles and never had a code of any type. As long as you follow the instructions in the owner's manual you should not have a problem.

Oh, by the way, that "extended warranty" is a waste of $$$$.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:01 PM   #3

I just paid big bucks for the blue ox tow package and airforce one setup for my2018 Equinox Diesel and Renegade RV.
I hope there will be no issues flat towing. How can the manual say yes, and someone else say no?
(picked it up this afternoon from the hitch installer)
MrIndian1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIndian1947 View Post
How can the manual say yes, and someone else say no?
(picked it up this afternoon from the hitch installer)

Because the "someone else" has no idea what they're talking about, just their opinion.
Old 05-30-2020, 10:27 AM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
We are towing a 2019 Equinox LT 2.0 behind our class C Jayco. Have had zero problems with codes. The car tows just fine. I follow the instructions in the owners manual. We are pleased with the Equinox.
oldecmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
I have towed my Equinox over 25,000 miles and never had a code of any type. As long as you follow the instructions in the owner's manual you should not have a problem.

Oh, by the way, that "extended warranty" is a waste of $$$$.
I am in the market for a towable car. Can you give me some idea of what we would need to look for in an Equinox and if we find one, what will be have to do to make it towable? Does it require the addition of a tranny pump? Thanks for any info.

Ray
Socaltoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:25 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"RJ".....The person with all the codes may also be someone who didn't think the battery needed to be disconnected, you never know..
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaltoolguy View Post
I am in the market for a towable car. Can you give me some idea of what we would need to look for in an Equinox and if we find one, what will be have to do to make it towable? Does it require the addition of a tranny pump? Thanks for any info.

Ray

Any Equinox pre-2017 can be towed as is by simply removing a fuse. 2017 and later only certain engine and transmission combinations can be towed 4down as is. None of the towable Equinox models require a lube pump. 2018 and later models do require a charge wire to the battery because Chevrolet went to a smaller capacity battery. My personal preference is to stay away from the push button start models as it makes things more complicated to get set up for towing each time. I prefer the plain old key start models.
The owner's manual details which models can be towed behind a motorhome and what has to be done.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:46 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
We towed our 2013 FWD Equinox for over 50,000 miles. Only thing I ever had to do was replace tires and battery. When I sold it this winter, it was only because I had too many vehicles and wanted to eliminate one....the equinox had never lived in a garage and was still ust as solid as the day I bought it when I sold it....great car. Don't know about the new ones, but i wouldn't hesitate to give it a go again based upon my previous experience. I don't like all these keyless ignitions out now, but just on general principles.

Now I hope that my Jepp GC (2014 just put into towed service) will be as reliable and trouble free as my Equinox was as a toad. Then again, haven't even replaced tires or the battery on it yet!
mymyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Any Equinox pre-2017 can be towed as is by simply removing a fuse. 2017 and later only certain engine and transmission combinations can be towed 4down as is. None of the towable Equinox models require a lube pump. 2018 and later models do require a charge wire to the battery because Chevrolet went to a smaller capacity battery. My personal preference is to stay away from the push button start models as it makes things more complicated to get set up for towing each time. I prefer the plain old key start models.
The owner's manual details which models can be towed behind a motorhome and what has to be done.
Thank you so much for all that info. If we were to want a little newer one, how can I get the info I need to determine which ones are 4 down towable? I don't have access to owner's manuals and as you said, the dealers can't be relied upon to have the info either. If anybody can fill in the blanks, I'd sure appreciate it.
Socaltoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 12:31 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Both of mine towed fine no issues. The 2015 required a fuse to be pulled and experienced the death wobble twice. A bungie on the steering wheel when towing fixed that. The 2020 is easy peasy. Nothing to do but hook and go. You do have to make sure the AWD is on but we leave it on all the time anyway. The push button is just a matter of pushing it without your foot on the brake. The only way it could be any easier is if someone would hook it up for me. None of the Equinox require the battery be disconnected.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaltoolguy View Post
Thank you so much for all that info. If we were to want a little newer one, how can I get the info I need to determine which ones are 4 down towable? I don't have access to owner's manuals and as you said, the dealers can't be relied upon to have the info either. If anybody can fill in the blanks, I'd sure appreciate it.

The owner's manuals are available online just Google them.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:50 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dingy Towing Guide

Maybe this will help.

https://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/

I tow a 2018 1.5 liter Equinox without any problems except that I had to install a line with trickle charger to keep the battery up (I use a wireless magnetic light bar for lights, like tow trucks use. Mine takes power from a 12v outlet in the back cargo area of the Equinox). In 2018 only the 1.5 liter and diesel were OK to tow.
thundr56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 08:25 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have push button start on our 2018. No issues whatever with the push button. Follow the directions in the owners manual (only difference is that you push the button with foot off the brake to go to acc. mode.) No code issues at all. One thing I've noticed since the last S/W update is that it goes into "battery saver mode" at some point into the tow, even with charge line.

The manual says to avoid using a tow shield. We use the Demco shield and we just drilled a series of 2" holes along the bottom of the center panel to encourage additional air flow. Havent picked up a rock chip yet.

In 2018, only the AWD with 6-speed transmission was approved. That limited it to the 4cy gas (if i remember right) and diesel models. We have the diesel and love it as a daily driver and toad.
Quote:
Poppy01 is offline   Reply With Quote